User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You are not a photographer.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have seen this site in the past, and was even given the pleasure of talking to a person who's photo had been ridiculed. The site had taken screen shots from facebook and presented them on it (with relevant scribbled out areas), and basically got stuck into the 'professional' photographer for the two photos. Unfortunately, the person who took the photos was neither a professional or selling the photos. She had gone to a wedding, with her point and shoot and put a few shots up on her facebook, nothing more.

Yet the idiots at the site, found the photos, used them and tried to present them as professionally taken photos, done very badly.

Contact by a lawyer, soon saw the photos and review removed, and since that time I have looked at this site as being nothing more than a sham to get people excited, annoyed, furious etc.

Oh and if you have a person called Heather Campbell on your friend list, or try to add you, it is/could be a fake FB profile setup to get access to your albums and grab screen shots for this site.
    Last edited by ricktas; 16-08-2011 at 7:40am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was expecting much more, but it is just a silly site. To comment on the point, being a (good) photographer and being a "professional photographer" are two different things. A professional may be a good photographer, but it is not strictly necessary. The main thing is marketing. It does help if you can take good photos, but we've all seen pros that can't and some of them make a good living from it. I think I might finally make an effort to make some money from it because I now see that I do some stuff that is almost unique. And some of this stuff people are willing to buy. Some will have to stay as pure hobby. Wish me luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does this site keep coming up? Every couple of weeks it's being posted everywhere. So very boring. From what I've seen it exists only to generate hype about itself, and maybe to give poor photographers a chance to say, "hey, look, I'm better than those guys!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Unfortunately, the person who took the photos was neither a professional or selling the photos.
    While I agree this site is just ad-view mongering, all the FB dumps seem to be from people who have named their profile "XYZ Photography". To me, you stick Photography after your name and you're trying to pass yourself off as a pro (and are open to public criticism).

eg Dad fixes the kitchen sink he doesn't call himself XYZ Plumbing. Mum plant some veges don't call herself XYZ Farming. I drive to work I'm not XYZ Driving Services or XYZ Deliveries.

You wanna be a Photography then you get treated as a Photography.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst some of the images are indeed of dubious taste, or quality in the eyes of some, I don't think this kind public ridicule is a very "professional" at all. If a "professional" photographer is someone who mocks the best efforts of others, and encourages others to do so, then I sure as hell never want to be that guy/girl.

As for the whole XYZ photography thing, seriously??? With stereotyping like that who needs youarenotaphotographer.com?

RSK Photography
    Last edited by 98kellrs; 16-08-2011 at 1:53pm.
    Ryan

D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm ƒ/2.8 | Cullmann Tripod |Manfrotto 680B Monopod | Lowepro Flipside 400 AW | 2x Yungnuo 560 flash & wireless trigger| FleaBay Lightstand, umbrella and collapsible softbox
    My Flickr site
    RSK Photography - Perth based Motorsport Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry dude, are you saying anyone that buys a camera should call themselves Photography?
    and that they do so because it is the correct way to refer to oneself if one holds a capture device, and that there is not a single iota of wanting to appear pro and/or willing to take $?

I don't know anyone who stuck Photography after their name and did it accidentally or thinking it was the correct thing to do to indicate the purchase of a camera. They all did it with a view of going pro, now or later. And if you think someone accidentally opened a separate FB account for their Photography profile, keeps switching accounts so they can post images to the right place, well then you're a very happy person.

It's not stereotyping at all. If you call yourself Photography, then I expect I can call on you to provide Photography. Just like I expect all Plumbers to be able to plumb. And Locksmiths to be able to install/fix locks. etc etc. Do you know what stereotyping means?

When I see your sig say Perth based Motorsport Photography I assume it means you know a bit about Motorsport and about Photography and about them together, and are capable of producing good Motorsport photos. I don't think it's just a guy who's been to a race and also owns a camera. And yet you seem to be insisting that's exactly all it should be taken to mean, and nothing more.

maybe by typing this reply I should call myself "reaction Journalism". Or even "reaction International Journalism Services", since I've been o/s before.

I don't think the site is by pro-togs, it's just a bunch of ppl with time on their hands and an adsense account. Feed the troll site at your own peril.
    Last edited by reaction; 16-08-2011 at 5:05pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    While I agree this site is just ad-view mongering, all the FB dumps seem to be from people who have named their profile "XYZ Photography". To me, you stick Photography after your name and you're trying to pass yourself off as a pro (and are open to public criticism).

eg Dad fixes the kitchen sink he doesn't call himself XYZ Plumbing. Mum plant some veges don't call herself XYZ Farming. I drive to work I'm not XYZ Driving Services or XYZ Deliveries.

You wanna be a Photography then you get treated as a Photography.
    Did I say EVERY photo presented was from a Pro? I was just stating some information about a couple of cases. Yes some appear to be Pro's but not all. Even then, it's easy enough to doctor up an image to add the word photography, etc to a screen grab to create an illusion of some sort of status by the photo owner. I just think the whole site is a sham, and breaching copyright, cause even non-pro's own copyright over any photo they took, and I bet the site hasn't asked anyones permission to put their work up on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the internet. Still don't know why everyone takes things so seriously? I'm with reaction here, if you go to that length of calling yourself a pro and produce that garbage then by all means ridicule away. And to be honest the 'humiliation' that you may think inappropriate or 'mean' really isn't the end of the world, it's a largely unkown website mocking FB fauxtography, is it really that upsetting to you? Besides if you produce poor work and use expired film like 1 post suggested for paying customers, you deserve worse.

Even if there is fake content on there, no 'pro' is losing credibility so who cares?

Anyway I thought it was a bit of a laugh...
    Some Pentax stuff and junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if the site is misrepresenting a P&S happy snapper as a pro - then that is misrepresenting the facts.

If it were a genuine site exposing dodgy togs, that would be one thing but, this smells a bit off.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF the photographers can't be identified I think it's probably ok. But it still makes me a bit uneasy but some if it's humorous, some of it's cringeworthy and maybe some illustrates what not to do.

I'm still on the fence on this one.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    Feed the troll site at your own peril.

I very much welcome and appreciate your feedback and constructive criticism!

If you would like to edit any image I post here, please feel free to do so! I would love to see what you can come up with and learn your method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A wise man once told me, criticism is of 2 types: valid and invalid. If it's invalid - why worry about it? If it's valid - then you've been done a service as now you can improve yourself.

To me the site is like the crazy drunk screaming in the streets you see sometimes. You can get worried about what he says, or you can ignore him. Some of it is funny, some is irrelevant.

The site is only of interest to amateur photogs (see all the camera gear affiliate links? see the self-promo 'editorials' from wannabe togs?) and of little repeat visit value. I don't see any pro-tog losing clients over this, nor do I see any potential-tog-clients visiting such a site. So while if you're posted you may feel upset, you're better off taking more photos than losing sleep over it. I'm sure the site visit count has multiplied tenfold just from the existence of this thread. And I doubt many of us will visit it again.
    Last edited by reaction; 17-08-2011 at 10:48am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, so many photos where people have just tried way to hard. They have over done the post processing and produced far out images.
    Maybe it is what their clients wanted ? One persons trash is another persons treasure.

I agree, I don't like any of the photos and many are in my view flawed but some people might really like these.

I am sure time and effort would be better spent praising people for photos they found appealing rather than spending their time trawling for rubbish. If people want to laugh at rubbish, they could just use the Google images search. That would keep them ammused and avoid encouraging them to leave unwelcome criticism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really, I cant see what the problem is. They are just products of the digital age. Digital Cameras at an affordable price.Access to a computer and Photoshop. Access to the internet and sites like facebook.It just seems that they are not very experienced or someone is encouraging them to do this.
    But I dont mind.It makes my photography look good anyway.If they enjoy it and makes someone happy then let it be.

John
    Pentax K5
    Pentax K10 D Limited Edition
    Pentax FA*28-70mm f/2.8
    Pentax FA*80-200mm f/2.8
    Pentax 100 MACRO f/2.8
    Pentax FA 31mm 1.8 Limited
    Pentax FA 15 mm Limited Wide Angle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as awful as the images are, I'm assuming that the portfolios aren't being falsely advertised. I'd be more concerned about the lazy/indifferent clientele.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12