User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Do all Canon lenses fit all Canon DSLR's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do all Canon lenses fit all Canon DSLR's?

As the title says, I'm interested to know whether all the Canon lenses will fit onto any Canon DSLR body. Simplest example question I can think of is will an 'L' series lens fit onto my 500D? ALso, what about EF and EF-S lenses? Do they fit onto anything from a 500D to the 5D MKII or the 1D?

Reason why I ask is that I"m starting to think a bit more seriously about purchasing some glass. I think it would be better for me to do that than upgrade the camera body. So I don't want to buy a lens and have it not fit onto my 500D. Similarly, I don't want to buy a lens, and upon upgrading the camera body, have the lens not fit with the new body.

I've tried searching the web, with no luck, or I'm blind. Either one.
    Flickr
    Call me Chris

Gear: Canon 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f4/L IS USM | Canon 430EX II Speedlite | Hoya Pro1 CPL | Velbon Tripod
    Canon EOS 500D | Canon 18-55mm IS (Kit Lens) | Canon 50-250mm IS (Kit Lens) | Marumi Super DHG CPL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple answer, The EF-S series wont fit on a full frame body , All the L Glass will fit a 550D , Crop senser will accept both EF and EF-S Lens
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EF lenses will work with any Canon SLR or DSLR.

EF-S lenses will not work with:

• any EOS film camera;
    • EOS D30 (very old DSLR);
    • EOS D60 (also very old; not to be confused with the 60D);
    • EOS 10D (pre-dates the 300D);
    • EOS 5D (and successors); and
    • EOS 1D/1Ds (and successors).

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's fair to say that the 500D is compatible with all Canon lenses, and that the 5D MKII can not take any EF-S lenses. So, in that case, it's smarter to save the funds and looks at L series isn't it? (excluding all other branded lenses for the moment).

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enVision View Post
    So it's fair to say that the 500D is compatible with all Canon lenses
    All Canon EF and EF-S lenses, yes.

the 5D MKII can not take any EF-S lenses
    Correct.

So, in that case, it's smarter to save the funds and looks at L series isn't it? (excluding all other branded lenses for the moment).
    That's not an easy question to answer, as it depends on what you want/need, whether you'll stay with APS-C or move to full-frame, and how much you're willing and able to spend on lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pro friend of mine mentioned to me some time ago that he had been picking up lenses secondhand and mounting them with some kind of adaptor. I had meant to ask here, but this seems like the perfect thread.

Does anyone know about these adaptors and what their limitations are?

I very much welcome and appreciate your feedback and constructive criticism!

If you would like to edit any image I post here, please feel free to do so! I would love to see what you can come up with and learn your method.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    All Canon EF and EF-S lenses, yes.
    ...and L series, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and L series, right?
    Yes , Correct

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and L series, right?
    L-series lenses are EF lenses aimed at the premium/professional end of the market.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Similarly, I don't want to buy a lens, and upon upgrading the camera body, have the lens not fit with the new body.
    If this is so, steer away from EF-S. As has been said EF and L for everything.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BecdS View Post
    A pro friend of mine mentioned to me some time ago that he had been picking up lenses secondhand and mounting them with some kind of adaptor. I had meant to ask here, but this seems like the perfect thread.

Does anyone know about these adaptors and what their limitations are?
    I wrote this a few weeks ago and haven't really finished it as it needs a few photo's to illustrate various aspects but it's online now anyway. I'll add some images when I get a chance.

It's "Alternative, Legacy or Manual Focus lenses, an overview" which essentially tries to answer your questions.

JJ

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. Definitely helped my decision making.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EF-S lenses are made for Crop sensor cameras. Any canon camera with more than one digit, though 7D is the exception being a croped sensor.
    I think many people will never upgrade to a full frame. And lenses hold their value very well, so don't worry about it too much just buy the lens you want and have fun
    50D, 50 f/1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS 11, Understanding Wife
    Photos - Panoramio - Flickr -

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams. - John Barrymore -

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ryan View Post
    EF-S lenses are made for Crop sensor cameras.
    They're designed for Canon's DSLRs whose sensor is APS-C in size, but there are some notable exceptions:

1. EOS D30
    2. EOS D60
    3. EOS 10D

The 300D was the first camera to support EF-S lenses.

These are all quite old, so the OP is unlikely to encounter them.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read Xenedis's first post and chose not to comment: but I think it is best to clarify what the EF / EF-S is all about.

To be absolutely clear “EF-S” and “EF” designate the DIFFERENT Lens Mounts, within the EOS RANGE.

In the EOS RANGE there are TWO Lens Mounts: "EF" and "EF-S"

“EF-S” Lenses will ONLY mount on EOS cameras which have (accept) the EF-S mount.

It is not a matter of these EF-S lenses “not working on” – in fact they do not mount on cameras which do not accept the EF-S Mount, as the EF-S bayonet mount is DIFFERENT to the “EF” mount.

The EOS Cameras, which accept the EF-S mount are designated by the WHITE SQUARE (**) mounting alignment indicator on the Camera Body –it is a little away from the RED DOT which is the EF MOUNT alignment indicator. (and the EF-S lens has the White Square also, obviously).

There is sometimes confusion caused by relating this factor of Lens Mount to camera format such as “crop cameras”; or camera type, like “Prosumer” “Professioanl” etc.

The EOS Cameras which accept the EF-S lens mount are (at the time of writing) limited:

ONLY EOS DSLR Cameras with an APS-C format sensor AND
    released including and AFTER the Model 300D (and all that lineage) AND
    released including and AFTER the 20D (and all that lineage) AND
    the 7D

Certainly the earlier models of EOS APS-C cameras are becoming less frequently quoted and used, but it is still important to clarify that the EF-S is a Lens Mount Designation and not simply bandy about phrases similar to: “EF-S lenses are for Canon crop cameras” or "EF-S fits canon consumer cameras", etc.
    Such statements are incorrect, in the sense that:

> EF-S mount does NOT mount to any APS-H format cameras.
    > the earlier EOS Digital APS-C cameras (e.g. the 10D, D60 and D30) will not accept the EF-S mount;
    > nor will any of the EOS Film Cameras accept EF-S mount.

(**) Here:

There is further confusion relating third party lenses which have a smaller (APS-C) Image Circle to be the same as the EF-S lenses: this too is incorrect.

As far as I am aware (at the time of writing) all third party APS-C image circle lenses (e.g. the Tamron 17 to 50/2.8) are ALL “EF” mount and therefore will “work on” a 5D (for example), because those lenses will mount (it is all about the lens mount).

However because such lenses have a smaller image circle, they will optically vignette.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 24-08-2011 at 11:45pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree William the non canon lenses are EF & the glass is not physically made to cover full frame chips, though I don't see vignette on my 1.3x chip on a tokina digital only ( aps-c chips) lens
    Oly e500 zd14-54 zd70-300
    35-70/4 70-210/4 (leftover from old camera )

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannat View Post
    I agree William the non canon lenses are EF & the glass is not physically made to cover full frame chips, though I don't see vignette on my 1.3x chip on a tokina digital only ( aps-c chips) lens

Ah! This might be the point you are making.

I wrote:

"As far as I am aware (at the time of writing) all third party APS-C image circle lenses (e.g. the Tamron 17 to 50/2.8) are ALL “EF” mount and therefore will “work on” a 5D (for example), because those lenses will mount (it is all about the lens mount).

However because such lenses have a smaller image circle, they will optically vignette."

The last sentence is incorrect and should read:

However because such lenses have a smaller image circle, they might optically vignette.

Thank you for picking me up on that error.

However, I am now really curious as to which lens it is, as I haven't found one yet that dosen't show more than "expected" vignette.

What Tokina lens is it?

Would you be so kind as to post a sample FULL FRAME image of the clear blue sky; shot at the lens's largest aperture; and if it is a zoom lens at the lens's widest FL?

WW