User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Canon Photo5 2011 is nearly upon us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon Photo5 2011 is nearly upon us

Got the email before to pre-register for my box - lucky i had entries in last year - looks like they have changed it so only those that had entries in last year can register for a box at pres - if you didnt then have to enter the open brief to get a chance at a box

Boxes are limited, so to make sure all entrants who really want one get one, we’ve tweaked the entry process. We're asking all non-2010 entrants to submit an image for the Open Brief to be eligible for a box. Given their popularity, it’s a good idea to start working on your image now. From September 5 you can upload your Open Brief image and request a box.
    At least they have given the theme for the open one now to get people thinking - Through a pets eyes
    http://www.canon.com.au/en-au/worldo...Briefs/Brief-1
    Last edited by Miaow; 13-08-2011 at 11:15am.
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pre-registered too. Loved this competition last year, really got me trying new things
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really looking forward to this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to enter the open brief to get a box. Didn't enter last year or pre-register when I could've
    Flickr
    Call me Chris

Gear: Canon 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f4/L IS USM | Canon 430EX II Speedlite | Hoya Pro1 CPL | Velbon Tripod
    Canon EOS 500D | Canon 18-55mm IS (Kit Lens) | Canon 50-250mm IS (Kit Lens) | Marumi Super DHG CPL

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Must say, I am over this one! Since it began, every winner has been shot with a Canon. If Canon want it to be a Canon shooters only, they should state that. I don't think Canon are being honest or fair, by letting everyone enter, but only those who use Canon seem to be able to win.

Now this might sound like sour grapes, but it isn't. It just concerns me that what appears to be a competition open for all photographers, doesn't ultimately seem to be (from the years of results so far).
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Must say, I am over this one! Since it began, every winner has been shot with a Canon. If Canon want it to be a Canon shooters only, they should state that. I don't think Canon are being honest or fair, by letting everyone enter, but only those who use Canon seem to be able to win.

Now this might sound like sour grapes, but it isn't. It just concerns me that what appears to be a competition open for all photographers, doesn't ultimately seem to be (from the years of results so far).
    Interesting Rick. I can't say I'd noticed that all the previous winners were Canon users. Should give me an advantage in that case, but no luck so far!
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe 90% of entries are canon made pictures, which kinda makes sense
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Kiwi, as its a Canon run comp, most of the World of EOS members are probably Canon hence the high Canon participation. The competition has flaws, but there are great prizes for a free to enter comp. I still find it exciting to get the box and try to do my best for each brief. Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting how they don't just mail it out automatically this year.
    That'd be as a result of people like me who order it thinking it sounds like a good idea, but never get the motivation to actually do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree too, I had a go at it last year and as a newbie I found it really great to learn new things just by attempting to answer the briefs. To my surprise I managed to get in the eye dropper finals too, which was super exciting. I'm really looking forward to having another go at it this year too!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to have a go at the briefs and try to get a box. Sounds like fun. But I'm not very inventive so im hoping this will get the mojo going
    "I press buttons and hope for the best!"
    Check out my Flickr page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Since it began, every winner has been shot with a Canon.
    Possibly a large factor is perhaps the judges are Canon users too, thus favor a certain style which some Canons produce.

Also every man and his dog owns a Canon in this country, just the amount of marketing they do is ridiculous.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the winners are always canon users, yeah i know i dont stand a chance... but i enjoy it so once again my name goes into the hat