User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: cheap neutral density filters on ebay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheap neutral density filters on ebay

I was looking at some cheap neutral density filters on ebay (the description is Green.l 52mm ND2 ND4 ND8 Neutral Density Filter KIT ) that are about $13 from China.
    I am only new to photography and wanted to muck around with them taking shots of the water while on holiday on the goldcoast next month. I have some tutorials in a photo magazine I bought showing how to do it and I really like the look.
    Is this something I shouldn't even bother with if I can't afford decent ones or do you think that for $13 I might get some ok results?
    thanks for your help.

Cheers
    Leanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will get an idea of what you can produce with them. They do show up a colour cast which may not be appealing. Cheap enough to give you an idea of what they can do. The holder tends to be not wide enough for a wide angle lens i.e. you will see the sides of the holder, which means you can't take a pic at the widest focal length.

If you get them you will be able to tell if you can be bothered with all the mucking around setting up.
    Imagine a world without photography... one could only imagine. - Berenice Abbott

I Shoot Canon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it`s not much money in the scheme of things just to try it out and see what you can get. I`d definitely shoot in RAW only so you can correct any colour casts.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a variety of these with very good results. Some densities give stronger colour casts than others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe, these el-cheapos to give you a play / test.

But, if you get serious.... with optics, you definitely get what you pay for.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about instead of buying a kit and buy ONE regular branded one for about the same amt? at least you won't have 3 filters to offload later?