Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Compression and jpeg sizing

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compression and jpeg sizing

Was uploading a file recently and trying to get it under 250kb.

I had to bring the image size down to ~640x480 to make it fit under 250kb. I've attached a screenshot to show you what I've got in Lightroom if that helps.

When looking at some other people's photos, they can get a much larger photo size under 250kb without sacrificing image quality. Anyone have any ideas of what I can reduce without actually losing quality on the screen?

Screen Shot 2011-08-06 at 7.55.54 PM.png

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    change the limit file size to 200K and the rezie to fit o "longest edge" and 800 and youll be right, also make sure you add output sharpening, I usually say for screen and low
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can set the image dimensions to what you want and then reduce the quality slider to reduce the filesize in kb. The quality slider affects the amount of jpeg compression and hence the file size in kb. I usually set it around 80, but will vary a bit depending on the image. It's a bit trial-and-error but you soon get a feel for what works. Although it seems logical to set quality at maximum you are unlikely to notice the reduced value on screen.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    change the limit file size to 200K and the rezie to fit o "longest edge" and 800 and youll be right, also make sure you add output sharpening, I usually say for screen and low
    Thanks for that, will try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    You can set the image dimensions to what you want and then reduce the quality slider to reduce the filesize in kb. The quality slider affects the amount of jpeg compression and hence the file size in kb. I usually set it around 80, but will vary a bit depending on the image. It's a bit trial-and-error but you soon get a feel for what works. Although it seems logical to set quality at maximum you are unlikely to notice the reduced value on screen.

Cheers.
    Thanks. Yeah, I went with max because it sounded like you wouldn't want anything different. But I'll try 80 out in addition to the above suggestion and see what the results are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't do quality and file size, one or the other