Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon Australia updates RRP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon Australia updates RRP

http://www.canon.com.au/en-au/About-...ention-locally

Looks like they are finally waking up a little and attempting to battle the grey import prices. I've not looked at the new prices yet but hopefully it'll be competitive enough to buy locally. I would rather spend my dough here with a local warrany rather than overseas should the price disparity be minimal.

Enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About time ! I heard one of the grey market importers in Brisbane closed not so long ago this could lead to more
    Last edited by accesser; 05-08-2011 at 1:47pm.
    Jason / Brisbane QLD flickr
    Canon 5D Mk II 40D, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by accesser View Post
    About time ! I heard one of the grey market importers in Brisbane closed not so long ago this could lead to more
    If you are referring to D-D photographics they are still alive and well and living in Sydney though, it is just the Brisbane store that closed. They said, for what it is worth, that they have a new delivery arrangement and that as a result they can do it all from Sydney instead of having the two stores.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon are just passing on the better A$, which should have been done months ago anyway.
    Those prices are still around 1/3rd higher than grey marketeers.

eg. The Canon 550D super kit they now quote at $1449.00 can be bought grey for just $993.00 or even less.

Instead of spending $15M on advertising, they should use that money to reduce their prices to make them more competitive.

After all, Sigma do it, and the new 150mm Macro lens I bought from DCW was less than 10% dearer than buying it grey.

These days, everything is world market price, and if you are charging a lot more for a product here than it is easily available from another country, you will lose lots of local sales.
    People are now too savvy to fall for overinflated local pricing, especially on technology.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies for intruding a related matter in your thread, but the news has been replete with retailers lamenting the downturn in personal shopping as opposed to on-line shopping. Some have advocated a GST on items less that $1000 that are bought on-line.

It riles me to hear such "solutions" when the most obvious one is ignored: DROP YOUR PRICES!

h(Um)ph!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those prices are getting a bit better, but still too expensive IMO

would like to see more price drops in more products, not just those ones listed

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    It riles me to hear such "solutions" when the most obvious one is ignored: DROP YOUR PRICES!

h(Um)ph!
    That is easily done if we assume the price difference is in cost of goods and the Aussie retailer is living it up on large profit margins. However, overheads such as retail rents, staff wages and taxes are not equal in all countries and this enables retail prices to vary.

So, the solution is simple, lower staff wages to the equivalent of those in China or Hong Kong, abolish the GST and lower the rent. Now they can sell it to us at 'grey' rates. Not sure I want to reduce my income or those of other Aussies and I am pretty certain the Government might miss all that tax!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retail space rental is way over the odds in Oz.

I think it is a bit of a myth to blame it of retail labour staff - who get paid crap wages. Some of my students report pay of < $10 hour. Not a lot in the context of running a shop.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if it would be considered to be a grey market item but I've recently seen (on ebay) a canon 7d body only kit for about $900 less than the canon RRP. This is from an australian seller located in melbourne that is offering full 3 year australian canon warranty. So how would this seller be capable of offering such a cheap price? and how is it that canon doesn't also offer similar prices?
    Last edited by GTP 290; 05-08-2011 at 7:18pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure the warranty is actually from Canon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what the difference is, but the ad states "genuine canon 3 year factory warranty"

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP 290 View Post
    I'm not sure what the difference is, but the ad states "genuine canon 3 year factory warranty"
    Maybe they haven't updated their website but going by this one they only offer a 1 year warranty on cameras and kits.

I would hazard a guess that the seller is simply a grey market middleman like so many others trying to "appear" as if they are offering local stock.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok gotta make a correction here, the original ad I saw is now gone (austion ended) the price was $1450 + $34 postage. However the ad's I'm looking at from australian sellers are still around $800 cheaper than the canon RRP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    I would hazard a guess that the seller is simply a grey market middleman like so many others trying to "appear" as if they are offering local stock.
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if this is the case. Still damn tempting to take the ad down to hardley normal and make them honour it. Our local shop will only honour offers if the seller is within australia.
    Last edited by GTP 290; 05-08-2011 at 7:30pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prices are changing rapidly just at the moment as the grossly overvalued Aussie dollar returns to something a little closer to sanity. DigitalRev's price for a 15-85 just went from about $640-odd before tax to $700 even.

I was going to order one there but they added a $70 "import handling fee" onto my order to replace the GST. Note that as a foreign order for less than AU$1000, it is GST exempt. What this amounts to is selling the item for 10% more than they advertised it for. I don't mind paying for freight, and I don't mind paying GST, but I'm damned if I'll pay 10% extra when the law says I don't have to. So I canceled the order and went elsewhere. To my surprise and pleasure, DWI still had it for $650.

I much prefer t o buy locally, but at $700 delivered vs over $1000 to get the same thing from a local business, I don't really have a choice.

I should imagine that the exchange rate will drop quite a bit over the next little while - at least that's what the finance page guys reckon, and they are smarter about this stuff than I'll ever be, which is why I got in today before stuff goes up too much.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the reductions are substantial enough to bring local stock on par with grey stock. I'd be prepared to pay, say, 10-15% more for local stock but beyond that it's just too much money to give away...

Canon Australia's RRP for a 5D Mk2 remains pretty lofty at $3,299.... I just ordered a grey import 5D Mk2 for $2,188 (incl 2 year door-to-door warranty from seller and no GST/duty risk as the body is already in their Sydney warehouse)... that's a $1,111 or 34% difference
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just rewcieved my 7d today i got it grey i paid 1350 for it delivered to the door
    i will do the same next year
    i can afford to swap over a grey every year and sell the old one for not much less than what i bought for last year
    i could not do that with a camera bought here i would lose to much on value
    buying grey i swap each year and claim on tax for the new camera each year and always keep up to date
    cheers macca
    have a look at the harvey norman crap when he said he would start online sales
    he sold garbage and closed up online

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people are missing a small but important fact here. RRP is Recommended Retail Price. Which means that is the MAXIMUM price you'll ever want to pay. The normal prices you expect from a retailer will be lower and in some instances significantly lower.

The downward adjustment of RRP will indicate that retailers will most likely lower the prices accordingly as well.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Canon Australia's RRP for a 5D Mk2 remains pretty lofty at $3,299.... I just ordered a grey import 5D Mk2 for $2,188 (incl 2 year door-to-door warranty from seller and no GST/duty risk as the body is already in their Sydney warehouse)... that's a $1,111 or 34% difference
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    I think people are missing a small but important fact here. RRP is Recommended Retail Price. Which means that is the MAXIMUM price you'll ever want to pay. The normal prices you expect from a retailer will be lower and in some instances significantly lower.
    Fair point, Keefy. Best quote I managed to get for a local 5D Mk2 was $2,800 (ie grey import still 22% less). That was about 5 days ago - would be interesting to check if the same dealer would come in below $2,800 now that the RRP has come down a bit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been in the market for a 7D for quite a while. Harvey Norman's best price was $1990 body only. They say this is cost plus $100. Thats over $500 more than I can buy on line.

I ended up buying a second hand 7D on gumtree, it has lees than 250 actuations, is not yet six months old and still has 18months Canon Australia Warranty left. Came with battery grip, spare battery and all the usual disks, charger cables etc. How much do you ask? Well $1300. Bingo.

Cheers,

John W
    Last edited by Woody08; 05-08-2011 at 10:17pm. Reason: typo
    John W Sydney Australia

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast