Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 500 f4l ii

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo's advice re adding weight to your rig (to simulate the 500's weight) or hiring one for a weekend (the best way of telling the real story) is very good.

Evaluation of the weight and ergonomics of a lens like this really does require one to hold it rather than read the specs or compare it with some other object based on weight alone.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mongo and Xenedis - very good advice indeed. Mongo thank you for your detailed thoughts - food for thought and weight is something that I have to take seriously.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can afford it Shelley go for it, from what I have read it will be released around December this year around the $10,000 mark thats U.S. being lighter and having two fluorite lenses which is supposed to improve picture quality it should be an awesome bit of kit.
    My stuff.Canon 5DMk11 Canon 40d BG-E2N Canon 17/40 F.4 L
    Canon 400 F5.6 L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my quest for greater focal length, I sold my Olympus gear and purchased new Canon gear with my eye on the 500 f4 IS lens. I had the money for it sitting there ready to pounce, but after handling one in person, the size and weight of this lens really put me off. Mind you I mostly photograph bush birds, so I am constantly on the move. I settled for the 100-400 as the versatility of the zoom and MFD was a must for my style and surroundings. But I often want MORE reach, don't we all!

Having seen your images Shell, and the kind of birds you like to photograph, I think a 500 lens would be an AMAZING addition to your arsenal. I would LOVE to see what you could do with such a lens!

But definitely go and check one out, feel it, hold it, use it.. better yet rent one for a trip and take it out for a few hours and see how you go.
    Last edited by piXelatedEmpire; 16-08-2011 at 12:24pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Adam for your thoughts and I must say I am looking forward to seeing some images from your canon arsenal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123