Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 500 f4l ii

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    I've seen nuclear powered aircraft carriers which are lighter than the old 400/2.8.
    Yes, at 5.3kg it's not light.

The mark II is seriously light by comparison. I can easily hand-hold it, whereas the old (current) model is monopod material.

But Shelly's 400 is the 5.6, Xenedis
    Oh. I didn't realise; I didn't see her mention that lens, and I assumed she had the f/2.8.

If that's what she has, then any super-tele will be very heavy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Indeed. I was horrified when I first got the 500/4 after a 100-400. To begin with I thought I wasn't going to be able to use it at all without a tripod. But I gout used to it, as you do, and take it on quite long walks sometimes.

Shelly is coming from an even lighter lens (400/5.6 is quite a bit lighter than the 100-400) but with the new model 500/4 I reckon she wil be fine.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 500/4L IS II is still considerably heavier than her 400/5.6L. Whether that's an issue for her remains to be seen; she'll need to hold it and see if it is workable.

I've found that lens weight really is a matter of personal opinion. I can and do hand-hold my 300/2.8L IS 99% of the time. It's completely comfortable for me, and even a 500/4 is comfortable enough; but some people find a 70-200/2.8 too heavy.

The current 400/2.8L IS, for me, is too heavy and needs a monopod. Sure, I have hand-held it, but it's not workable for any decent amount of time, and it is very front-heavy despite the shorter length over the 500/4L IS.

Are you planning to upgrade your 500 when the new model is available?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, Xenedis. I'd quite like to have the new one, but I'm semi-retired now and have to watch the pennies. In any case, it would be a massively expensive minor upgrade - 10k to go to a lens which really won't be massively different to the one I already have. Nope, if I'm going to spend 10k (which I'm not), I'll look at something which adds to my possibilities rather than just upgrades them in a minor way.

My wishlist right now:
    • 1Ds IV (or whatever they call the new 1Ds III
    • 400/2.8
    • 400/4 DO
    • 600/4
    • 5D II (or possibly just a 2nd hand 5D classic)
    • Laptop is getting a little elderly
    • 1D IV
    • 2nd hand 1D III?
    • it never ends......

I'll quite likely not get any of those. Well, I'll get something full frameish for landscapes at some stage. No hurry.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, Xenedis. I'd quite like to have the new one, but I'm semi-retired now and have to watch the pennies.
    Indeed; it is an expensive lens, and there's certainly nothing wrong with the current 500/4.

My wishlist right now:
    I'm glad to say I don't really have a wishlist; at least, not one that I plan on acting upon.

[*] 400/4 DO
    Interesting choice. That lens seems to be quite uncommon. Since you also listed the 400/2.8, I assume you wanted the f/4 version for travelling lighter when the extra stop wouldn't be needed.

If I had a huge supply of expendable cash for gear, I'd add:

• 14/2.8L II
    • TS-E 17/4L
    • 24/1.4L II
    • 200/2L IS
    • 400/2.8L IS
    • 500/4L IS

The problem with the 14/2.8L II is that there isn't a way (of which I'm aware) of using my Lee modular filters with it, as there isn't a filter thread.

If I had the 14/2.8L II and 200/2L IS, I'd offload my 16-35/2.8L II and 70-200/2.8L II.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Shelley. The 500mm f4 is the Formula 1 of lenses. Even though the new version will be lighter than the existing and older versions, it will still be much heavier than your current lens. BTW a x1.4 converter should be all you would ever use unless you are Sar - then you will need 2 or 3 converters and used all at once with great skill and result.

PS - looking at the 2 posts above, Mongo's wishlist is to have someone as macho as Tannin or Zenedis carry Mongo's heavy gear around for him
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! I'll carry your gear ... ut you have to carry me!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, interesting information.

Had a well known respected bird photographer approach me in person, checking out what I shoot with. He said I did very well with what I had and said not to get the 500. got quite a buzz as he really liked my work and has offered some help with stuff. Was a real boost for me. He has had everything lens wise - $$$$$. I am still keen though.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting Shelley, and congratulations on the comments.

What was his reasoning on not to get a 500 ?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    What was his reasoning on not to get a 500 ?
    That's got me intrigued, too.

The 500/4 seems to be the lens for birding.

It has a sweet spot of a good focal length (still too short in some cases, and IME, even 600mm isn't enough sometimes), a wide(ish) aperture and a mass that's not too cumbersome to carry or use.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was talking about the weight of the lens and my style of shooting (which is stalking the birds) and he felt I was getting close enough to the birds and getting results from my existing lens.

Yes I do think a bit more length would be good and I am still saving for it - I believe this lens is something I would use on certain birding excursions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!!!! I would have never thought an avian photographer would suggest you don't get a big prime.

I'm perplexed......

If I didn't change my style I'd still be wearing fluro shorts and hypercolour T-shirts

Sorry for all the bold
    Last edited by mrDooba; 09-08-2011 at 10:15pm.
    Chris

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrDooba View Post
    WOW!!!! I would have never thought an avian photographer would suggest you don't get a big prime.

I'm perplexed......

If I didn't change my style I'd still be wearing fluro shorts and hypercolour T-shirts

Sorry for all the bold
    Lol, I am getting it, just will take some serious saving. Jeez, you mean I have to drop my fluoro gear too.....

Don't worry Chris you will know when I have this lens, just hope I can get the new version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This lens will be on my wishlist, for sure! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your shots when you do finally get it.
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrDooba View Post
    I'm looking in the wardrobe and feeling a little self conscious now.

Last edited by Art Vandelay; 10-08-2011 at 11:48am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I'm looking in the wardrobe and feeling a little self conscious now.
    hehe haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Jeez, you mean I have to drop my fluoro gear too.....
    I must confess........ I wear fluro shirts every weekday

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite the fluoro & hyper colour, but it was funny last christmas down the coast with my 2 youngest teenage daughters, we dropped into to the local markets & a lady was selling tie dyed T shirts. The daughters went ga ga saying check these out Dad, aren't they neat ?. I agreed and bought us one each & didn't say much else, then once back home I pulled out a couple of old photo albums and showed them that all things go round and round eventually. Though I'm not sure if I'll take up bell bottom flares & platform shoes if they come in again.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 10-08-2011 at 9:08pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe After seeing Dad in the original tie-dyed shirts, did the girls quietly put theirs away in the bottom of the draws or do they now have a newfound respect for you

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo has said the 500 f4 is the formula 1 of lenses – particularly for birds. He has also said that it is much heavier than the one Shelley is currently using.

Mongo is not at all surprised that the bird photographer gave Shelly the advice he or she did. We have all noticed and commented on the quality of Shelley’s images. If the photographer saw Shelley’s work and asked what she currently uses and knew something of how she achieves that, why is it surprising the advice was “don’t change anything – your style suits your current equipment”.

If Mongo were you Shelley and you are serious about this new acquisition (and it is very clear that you are), try strapping an extra 2 kilos to your current lens or camera somehow and try using it on an average normal outing for at least several outings. Evaluate how you feel about managing that on a long term basis. Better still, hire one of these lenses for the weekend. A couple of hundred dollars is a small price to pay to save many thousands. If it is all OK after that, go for it.

Mrs Mongo is a fit bush walker and she certainly felt the weight of a new lens some months ago that only weighed approximately 2 kgs. As a consequence , she does not use it as much or in as many places as her old lighter equipment.
    Not just the weight is critical but also the size and shape of the lens when carrying it with other equipment or even on its own with just the camera body. Mongo urges you to look into this aspect as best you can beforehand and wishes you have good findings if you do.

At present, there are any number of good 400mm f2.8 and 600mm f4 manual lenses available for a song in Nikkon brand. The only reason Mongo has not bought one of each is the weight and size and the impracticability of using them for birding in the bush. Yes, they weight somewhat more than your proposed 500mm f4, but everything is relative. In this case, it is enough to dissuade Mongo from taking that step
    Last edited by mongo; 11-08-2011 at 12:20am.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast