User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Lightroom 3 exports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightroom 3 exports

I've just started using Adobe Lightroom 3, and so far I'm very, very impressed with it. I have found however that JPEGs I import at 7-10mb seem to be reduced down to 0.7-1mb when I export them. I've checked the size and it's still exporting full size, and at 75% JPEG quality. Is there likely to be a massive IQ reduction with this happening, or is that one of the things that makes LR3 so good?

At the moment it seems to be a bit of a bonus as it massively reduces the time it takes to upload photos to my website, I'm just trying to figure out what effects it is having on the quality of my products.

Cheers,
    Ryan

D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm ƒ/2.8 | Cullmann Tripod |Manfrotto 680B Monopod | Lowepro Flipside 400 AW | 2x Yungnuo 560 flash & wireless trigger| FleaBay Lightstand, umbrella and collapsible softbox
    My Flickr site
    RSK Photography - Perth based Motorsport Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changing quality to 75 will make that sort of difference, same as photoshop

Not really sure though why your uploading full res photos though to your website ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm agree that we could use Lightroom 3 for basic retouching pics and reduce its size a little bit.
    But not sure we really need to keep full size when uploading to website. It cost time and database to save.
    For me, I always crop or scale the image down and keep 100% JPEG quality when upload web.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with Kiwi, uploading full size (KB) files to your website (unless you sell digital copies directly from it) isn't the best way to go. Make em small and they are less appealing to the borrowers out there. A full size photo can easily be used to print/put into a calendar etc.

Now as to why. Check that you don't have some other setting turned on, on the export settings screen.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm thanks for the thoughts, I guess it must just be to do with the JPEG quality setting, seems odd that a ~80% quality export reduces the size by 90 odd percent though, surely it should reduce it by 20%?? Either way I can't see any drastic change in quality so I'm more than happy to have the smaller filesizes.

I sell the originals from my website (smugmug hosted) hence the reason for the upload.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmmmmmmmm that shouldn't be happening??? check what you have for the dpi because even if you dont have that section ticked I suspect what you have in that box still stands. Are you using any presets? Some of those bring the size down by a huge amount.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My DPI is 240 which could be the reason? I'm not using any presets or anything, I usually just adjust contrast, sharpness and levels.

I must say, after a week with the software I am blown away by it's features. Unbelieveable! It has transformed my workflow and I can't wait to learn the rest of it's more advanced tools.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's quite normal for that size file reduction size. 240dpi will not make much difference to the file size but is required for printing.