Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 24-70 2.8 L : any issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 24-70 2.8 L : any issues

After my 24-105L's ribbon failed again (not uncommon it seems)

I am thinking of not wasting any more money on a repair that will last <12 months.

I am thinking of the 24-70 L...

Now, before I go this way, can I ask if anyone knows if this lens is somehow afflicted with the same (or similar) issues (or any known issues at all).?

I am really hoping to not buy another dud.

Thanks

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1: it is about to be replaced by a new model.

2: no IS.

(1) is bearable. (2) is a deal-breaker.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A mate has had one for donkeys, no probs.

But then again, thousands have had the 24-105 with no probs either, so that doesn't say much

Have you tried the 17-55 ?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    1: it is about to be replaced by a new model.
    I've been hearing that since Moses wore short pants.

2: no IS.

(1) is bearable. (2) is a deal-breaker.
    I've always been of the opinion that IS is useful at any focal length, and I'd prefer to have IS than not.

Having said that, most of my lenses don't have IS, and the two that do are at the long end of the focal length scale.

If Scott wants to use his for landscape photography (he shoots quite a few seascapes these days), IS isn't useful at all, as the camera is tripod-mounted.

For hand-held stuff the IS can be useful in low light, but depending on what he wants to do, the extra stop the 24-70 offers over his 24-105 may be enough, combined with pushing the ISO a stop or two.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    I've been hearing that since Moses wore short pants.

I've always been of the opinion that IS is useful at any focal length, and I'd prefer to have IS than not.

Having said that, most of my lenses don't have IS, and the two that do are at the long end of the focal length scale.

If Scott wants to use his for landscape photography (he shoots quite a few seascapes these days), IS isn't useful at all, as the camera is tripod-mounted.

For hand-held stuff the IS can be useful in low light, but depending on what he wants to do, the extra stop the 24-70 offers over his 24-105 may be enough, combined with pushing the ISO a stop or two.
    To be honest, I'm not worried about the IS on shorter focal lengths (<70) - largely for the reasons John outlined.

However, I was mainly interested if it too has a rep for catastrophic failure (as a simple google search on the 24-105L reveals). I've looked for the 24-70 and failures with not much coming up.

Just wondering if others had experience in this.

Scotty

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've personally never heard of any issues with the 24-70/2.8L. It has been around since 2002.

Some reviews you might find useful:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the 24-70 quite a bit and love it. I don't miss IS on it - don't think its heavy - but its obviously not compact. I went away for two weeks with a group of 24 students and it was a great all round lens on my 7d, didn't come off. I have the L70-200 2.8 IS II and still pick up my 24-70 first. I took group shots with my flash at sunset in Canberra - quite nice and got some nice images in the snow and group shots of students in the snow.

I also use this lens with my portrait work and lights. I have had no problems with this lens.

bought it from Stu and Quality Cameras.
    Last edited by Shelley; 03-08-2011 at 10:50pm.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't find any mention of catastrophic failures of the 24-70 in the Internet because, when this lens was introduced, the Internet hadn't been invented yet.

(runs and hides)

Actually, it's a classic lens which has stood the test of time in the hands of a zillion hard-bitten journos. I wouldn't buy one myself, but it would make an excellent choice if you don't care about IS. Yes, they are about to replace it, but it won't stop taking great pictures just because there is a newer version out.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't find any mention of catastrophic failures of the 24-70 in the Internet because, when this lens was introduced, the Internet hadn't been invented yet.
    I've been on the Internet since the mid-1990s. Of course, we didn't call it the Internet back then; it was the 'Information Super-Highway'.

Actually, it's a classic lens which has stood the test of time in the hands of a zillion hard-bitten journos. I wouldn't buy one myself, but it would make an excellent choice if you don't care about IS.
    It's definitely a great lens, and a staple for many pro shooters and amateurs alike.

I don't have or need one (I have no use for a standard zoom), but years ago I came close to buying one when a standard zoom was the sort of lens I wanted.

Yes, they are about to replace it
    That remains to be seen.

but it won't stop taking great pictures just because there is a newer version out.
    Indeed.

People on Internet forums (not necessarily this one) get all worked up about whether they should buy some item now, or wait for the replacement (which is usually not even officially a product as far as the public is concerned). It's common with cameras (eg, should I buy a 5D Mark II or wait for the mark III?).

My opinion is that one should buy an item when one needs it. While cameras have a much higher obsolescence rate than lenses, the fact remains that the product doesn't suddenly become a paperweight when a successor is announced.

There's someone around here (you?) who still shoots with a 20D. I had one of those in 2005; it's a great camera which is no less capable now than it was then. Of course, pixel counts have increased, sensors have got 'cleaner', processors have got 'smarter', and there've been all manner of other enhancements, but the nuts and bolts of it remains the same.

If you're right and a 24-70 mark II is announced (time to market notwithstanding), it may mean prices for the current model decrease, so Scott may get more of a bargain if the lens is indeed replaced imminently.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still shooting with a 20D? Too right I am! I love that camera. Had it since 2005 and I'll keep on using it for as long as it keeps going, which might just be longer than I do. I have discarded a 450D and a 40D since then, and will get rid of the other 40D one day when I upgrade again, but the 20D is a keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 24-70L is a strange lens to me, having used 2 of them in the last 4 years through friends for work and fun, the first one gave decent results in sharpness - nothing outstanding for me and I was like meh, nothing groundbreaking. But another friend who had bought a 24-70L from a later manufacturing batch - I was blown away by the incredible sharpness it had, especially corner to corner from F4 and onwards and able to resolve so much details on a 5D2.

I have heard of sample variation with the 24-70L throughout the years and I believed I saw it first-hand from those 2 aforementioned lenses.

The older 28-70L were known to be sharper throughout the range with less sample variations, but I would take the extra 4mm wide from the newer 24-70L anyday. Going from 28mm to 24mm is so much more noticeable and pronounced, than say 70mm to 80mm

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys... food for thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    I've been on the Internet since the mid-1990s. Of course, we didn't call it the Internet back then; it was the 'Information Super-Highway'.
    Odd that you say that. Over from where i'm from we called it the internet back then. I started with a 28.8 baud modem as my very first connection at home. I remember the day when i first connected it to my computer via parallel port. Awesome. U.S Robotics was the brand to get. LoL. I still have my first comptuer... a 286 (was about 7 then) which cost my family something along the lines of 20K back then.. oh how times have changed now where you can pick a new one up for $200. LoL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy with my 20-70L no issues.
    Don't miss IS

Regards
    Bodies : Canon 450D, Canon 7D
    Lenses : Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100mm F2.8 Makro USM, Canon 24-70 L F2.8 USM, Canon 70-200 L F4, Canon 100-400 L F4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Editing : Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    USR was [i]the[/b] brand to have, Keefy. They were simply superb. I used to love selling those, because you knew it was never, ever coming back. they just worked - and were easily faster than anything else around too. Naturally, No-one else used a parallel port! I bought a USR for myself eventually - they were horribly dear. They were the L Series prime lens of the modem world.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    Odd that you say that. Over from where i'm from we called it the internet back then.
    It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but the term 'Information Super-Highway' was certainly used a lot by the media back then.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    U.S Robotics was the brand to get. LoL.
    Indeed it was. I had a USR Courier V.Everything in 1996. At the time, those modems had a price tag of $800 or more.

Unlike most other modems the Courier was software-upgradable. At that time, mine started its life as a V.34 (33.6K) modem, and I later flashed it to the proprietary X2 (56K) protocol before the ITU-T ratified V.90 as the standard for 56K, at which point I flash-upgraded it to that standard.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Thanks guys... food for thought.
    I have no doubt you'd be happy with a 24-70 from an IQ and build quality perspective.

You seem to use the long end of your 24-105 a lot. Do you otherwise have the 70mm+ range in another lens?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xenedis View Post
    i have no doubt you'd be happy with a 24-70 from an iq and build quality perspective.

You seem to use the long end of your 24-105 a lot. Do you otherwise have the 70mm+ range in another lens?
    70-200l is 2.8

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay Scotty, so you have the 70-105mm range already covered, both at f/2.8 and with IS, by your 70-200/2.8L IS, in which case the extra reach of the 24-105 doesn't give you anything you don't already have (in fact it gives you less in the form of a maximum aperture of f/4). All it gives you is single-lens convenience.

If you really need a replacement standard zoom NOW, buy the 24-70. if you can wait a while, you have the option of waiting for a mark II of that lens, but as I mentioned, people have been speculating about that for years.

If you want something wider, and plan to stay with the APS-C format, the 17-55/2.8 IS is an excellent lens.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 05-08-2011 at 6:41pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm deliriously happy with the siggy 10-20.

So, if I have a desperate need for 21-23 mm, I'm screwed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast