Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    if I have a desperate need for 21-23 mm, I'm screwed
    You think you're screwed.

For a number of years I've had no focal length between 35mm and 70mm.

I'm not entirely sure what I'd even DO with those focal lengths, but at any rate, the sky is falling.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what I'd even DO with those focal lengths, but at any rate, the sky is falling.

Well, at about 40mm, you'd get a good mid-shot of the end of the world... wide enough to establish setting whilst long enough to capture the details of terrified civilians kissing their ar#es good-bye.

Looks like you'll need a 24-70L too.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Looks like you'll need a 24-70L too.
    Nah. Great lens, and the one I'd choose if I wanted a standard zoom, but I have no use for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had one for a long time and have had no issues with its image quality (until we dropped it a year ago and we haven't fixed it since - images slightly softer than they used to be!)
    I take alot of the landscape panoramas with this lens. The major downside for landscapes is the weight of this lens and the fact that it doesn't come with a tripod mount. Putting it up vertically for long exposures and depending on how permanently you want to screw on the quickplate to your body (like super super firmly that you have to struggle and pop a few veins to ever get it off), you may get some drooping of the lens during the exposure.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    I've had one for a long time and have had no issues with its image quality (until we dropped it a year ago and we haven't fixed it since - images slightly softer than they used to be!)
    I take alot of the landscape panoramas with this lens. The major downside for landscapes is the weight of this lens and the fact that it doesn't come with a tripod mount. Putting it up vertically for long exposures and depending on how permanently you want to screw on the quickplate to your body (like super super firmly that you have to struggle and pop a few veins to ever get it off), you may get some drooping of the lens during the exposure.
    Thanks...

The 24-105L is a little the same (though a little lighter). I find when it is stuck on, the tripod itself becomes a good vice grip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 24-70mm and really like it. Had an issue with the image quality when I first got it (wasn't as good as I expected it to be, especially after paying the amount of cash it costs), but took it in to the Canon Service Centre in Ulsan and they had a tinker with it and my 40D and when I got it back it was very good. And it only cost $30 (the tinkering that is, not the lens obviously)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 24-70L is my walk around lens and never comes off my camera. I have another body and 100-400L if i want to go longer. I never have had cause to worry about the IQ of the lens as all my failures can be attributed to myself. It seems to be very rugged as it definitely has not been babied, although it has never been dropped.

Wardie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the Sigma version and save yourself $$$$.

You'll be surprised at how good the Sigma is.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Tannin;894580]You won't find any mention of catastrophic failures of the 24-70 in the Internet because, when this lens was introduced, the Internet hadn't been invented yet.

Now that's a story the Internet has been around for much longer time than that

However a lot of us predate the Internet

Regards
    Bodies : Canon 450D, Canon 7D
    Lenses : Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100mm F2.8 Makro USM, Canon 24-70 L F2.8 USM, Canon 70-200 L F4, Canon 100-400 L F4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Editing : Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 24-70 and had no issue with it so far. Very solidly built. The only problem is that most people are expecting to see a new version sometime next year.
    -Chiu

My Flickr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12