User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any NON-professionals own the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the extensive explanation arthurking it was very useful. The more I research the more I know that saving for this lens is a no brainer for me. I deserve it I've been a good hubby who does all his chores lol

Paul, I thought about the 80-200 as price was good but when I thought about how much I would be spending I decided that I may as well save for the 70 as everyone is blown away by this lens.

I'm with ya nightbringer VRII here we come haha

I read a review by someone that shot with primes and he bought or borrowed (can't remember now) a VR1, he stated that his primes were better when comparing to the same focal length of his primes and was vy disappointed. He went on to say that he used the VRII and was blown away as it out performed his primes so he bought one Anyone else notice this with the VRII as a set focal length compared to their prime?
    Regards
    Occifer Nick

Nikon D7000 | Tokina 11-16/2.8 | Cokin P Series 121M Grad | Nikon 60mm 2.8D | Nauticam NA-D7000V underwater housing |

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick, whoever said that the primes out performed the zoom by a large degree must have had a very impressive range of top qualty prime lenses or they were using a sample of the zoom that wasn't quite "in tune" with their body.
    A lot of the work that went into the VR11 over the VR1 seemed to be concentrated around getting better edge resolution on FX bodies and either model of that lens seems to be one where you rarely hear negative reports about image quality.

A word of warning, when you go ahead and buy the VR11 version that you know that you want need, don't, repeat don't try it on an FX body because you will suddenly see that those focal lengths are an absolutely ideal range on the FXcamera and you will have to start saving your coins all over again to buy a D700 D3s D3x D800 D4 D4x.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just buy one, sell the kids, the house, whatever, it is truly a great lens. Yes I am a part time pro, part time retired, but I would own one just to shoot the kids, the letterbox, whatever with. Well made, quality components and just plain nice.

I just saw I@Ms comment about FX bodies and fell on the floor laughing.....sloop true, a few years back I went out to buy a speed light and came back lots of thousands of dollars poorer...long suffering wife wasn't all that happy
    Last edited by reflect; 04-08-2011 at 8:38am.
    Andrew
    D700, D5000, Various Nikon and Sigma Lenses and lots of other expensive thingys with buttons and knobs (some even go Bing !!)
    www.andrewplacephotography.com.au

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know of a very reputable on-line store in Sydney that has the 70-200 f2.8 VRII for AU$2,600. You can either pick up or get it delivered. If you want to know which one, PM me.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate when i save enough coins im hoping they will still be around that price lol
    hmmmmmmmmmm D800? better start 2 coin jars!!! haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh. It happens like that I@M. Once I saw what a 14-24 could do I was hooked...the upgrade to the D700 took some time to save for but I couldn't have one without the other. Its like heaven . I have a similar feeling that if I try a 70-200 VR or II I will want one...so hence the best option the moment is *do or do not, there is no try*
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another one with for the VR II. Fantastic lens, really quick and lovely to use....looking forward to a weekend of motorsport with it....

I am glad I bought it when I did as it was under $2000....but lovely and well worth every penny!
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've got a feeling that I'll be getting the new FX that Nikon will be putting out, or if not then at least a second-hand D700 with grip, and for sure I'll be getting a new lens to go with that new body too ... this hobby keeps pummelling my bank account lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this superb lens too and I'm just an enthusiast. Aside from the excellent optical quality and built that the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 VRII offers, they are also "NAS" proof. Once you have these zoom lenses, your NAS craving is minimized quite a bit. Your bank account balance may be a lot lower but you'll recover in the long run. You'll avoid buying and selling gear when you get the best lens that you are willing to pay. I could have had the best lenses in the first place and saved the trouble in getting "ok" lenses. Of course, that is just my suggestion or opinion since I regretted not getting it when I was just starting this expensive hobby.
    Best regards,

Glenn
    My flickr
    My Gear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have the 70-200vr1 and my comrades are always borrowing it to shoot with as its much quicker focus than their older 70-200s. Its heavy to shoot with all day, but crisp as a sao even at 1/50th.
    Togs are what my son wears to go swimming.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under two grand sounds like a deal and a half there Roo! Nice score
    Added $500 from part of my tax return so a little closer,
    approx $700 so far
    Haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will never regret quality. I have it and the 24-70 f2.8 and they are a perfect pair, quality is outstanding. That is why the pro's go for them and they will last longer than your camera body's, these you will need to upgrade over time but not your quality lenses.
    Regards Allen

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Allen, got any pics taken with yours? would love to see some
    and Roo where did you manage to find one for under two grand? Any other place to look other than the usual suspects?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some few shots from this weekend using a D7000 + 70-200mm f2.8 VrII

f2.8 @180mm

@200mm, f3.5

@195mm, f2.8

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DWI, but that was maybe 18 months ago. I note the price has gone up a lot since then! I just looked and they must have got more stock as the price has dropped a bit. It is $2199. Have had it over the 12 months now and not a problem (touch wood)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the first pic, mainly cos that old guy is rocking a TLR XD

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm a big fan of the first one as well, my dad had one of those cameras Shame he doesn't now!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 70-200 VR2's the lens I would dearly like to have and when I do buy a 70-200 it'll be Nikon's VR2 variant.
    I have used the VR1 before on DX and loved it. If you use it frequently you won't need to work the guns at the gym so think of it as a $100 saving per month.
    I like the 70-200 (VR1) more than both the 14-24 and 24-70 that I use to own but have sold since (aslight regret but that's a different story altogether).
    Everything I've seen from the VR2 is an improvement except focus breathing but that's not an area I'm concerned with. Plus I shoot FX which makes the VR2 version a far more logical choice because of corner performance.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops..that should be 'focal length breathing' not 'focus breathing.'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have definitely moved from wanting the VRI to now wanting the VRII and if im going to save all that money I may as well save for a little bit longer and get the latest model

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast