Lately I have become interested in all forms of water drop photography and today while experimenting with my latest crazy idea I think I have blown up an old stereo speaker. Not knowing much about speakers am am asking for some help. Basically what I did was remove an old 8 inch diameter speaker from the speaker box, hook it up to the old amp, sit it facing upwards on my work bench, completely cover it with glad wrap and place some red coloured water in the speaker cone and start taking photos while some music was playing through it. (It is an 8 ohm speaker) I took several test shots just to get an idea if it might work.

Then I started experimenting with different amounts of water, different sound volumes and different music looking for more bass to get the water bouncing more. I was just starting to see what worked best and the next thing you know, the volume went down, so I turned it up a bit more and then it just stopped working all together. Would this be something to do with it being an 8 ohm speaker, or the weight of the water sitting it it or what ? I only had about 1/2 a cup of water in there (which wouldn't weigh much) and the glad wrap stopped any water from getting into the speaker.

I still have another speaker left and they are just old ones that I haven't got around to throwing out yet, but I really want to try and get some nice shots without blowing up another one !