User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From primes to one zoom?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with prime lenses before but when I started getting more dust inside my camera which have been caused by changing lenses outdoor, it prompted me to use zoom lenses instead. Primes are cheaper, usually has faster aperture, lighter but the zoom lenses suits my shooting style and provides more convenience. Sometimes when you are watching a concert or a parade, the prime lens won't allow you to step back or forward to get the composition that you want.

Re: VR / IS. I also find this very useful. Not everyone here is a sports photographer. If you use shutter speeds above 1/320 or so, it's best to leave VR off or if you use a tripod as previously pointed out. For indoor when taking family pictures or whatever interest me, using lower shutter speed i.e. 1/15, VR does works. For DX, you can probably get a Nikon 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 VR or if you prefer a constant aperture, the Nikon 24-120mm f4 VRII is another good option. The Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 is a good lens for DX but If I was going to spend that much money, then I'd rather get the 24-70mm f2.8 instead since it has better flare control and is much sharper wide open. Just my two cents.
    Best regards,

Glenn
    My flickr
    My Gear

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So i decided get the sigma 17-50 2.8. Can't seem to get my head around spending so much for the nikon... Will update on its performance if anyone cares to read about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm mostly a zoom guy and the 17-55 was a big factor in me staying with DX for a long time. i was very sad to let it go. the only alternative in my mind is the screwdriven tammy 17-50. primes are great, but i would happily live with just a 17-55.
    Thanks,
    Nam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Eloki, the one thing missing from your plan is VR. VR is enormously useful in all sorts of circumstances. Trouble is, I don't know if there is a suitable VR-equipped lens available. You've probably never had it and don't miss it, but once you learn how to use it, it makes all sorts of stuff possible that was not possible before.

Nevertheless, if you can afford the upgrade, it strikes me as an excellent plan.

Hi Tannin
    I still think VR or IS is just a nice to have but not essential.

You simply pay more for the same lens its just gadyets.

Two of my lenses 24-70 and 70-200 dont have IS and I dont miss it.

As you know the trick is to keep the camera still.

Regards
    Bodies : Canon 450D, Canon 7D
    Lenses : Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100mm F2.8 Makro USM, Canon 24-70 L F2.8 USM, Canon 70-200 L F4, Canon 100-400 L F4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Editing : Photoshop CS5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12