Thread: The state of AusPhotography competitions

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The state of AusPhotography competitions

Here is the current state of the competitions since we started the new system November 2009...

• 2 Competitions open for entry.
    • 7 Competitions open for voting.
    • 161 Competitions have been completed.
    • 6,991 valid entries in all competitions.

Just my opinion but this is what I think:
    • 70% of comp entires are good and would get an 8 at a club
    • another 10% would get a 9
    • and 5% would probably get a 10.

I doubt any comp entry would score less than 6.

That is a lot of quality work being entered.

everyone!
    Last edited by Kym; 02-08-2011 at 5:02pm. Reason: Spelling
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree Kym, we have some amazing photographers on AP, and most of them are so willing to give the newer members their advice, and this is shown in the improvement of our newer members. Watching someone start out as a beginner in our competitions and improve and get good votes, then be upgraded to intermediate, and then advanced, is simply the best reward for me, and it makes running AP a pleasure!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Fuji Fanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree - I just voted on the Comps which closed yesterday and the level of talent is amazing, even in the beginner section. And as you say, even most of the 'also rans' are pretty good.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree. I have learnt so much in the last 15 months.
    But the problem with clubs is that they are usually once, maybe twice a month, at night. They generally start by having a general meeting, then maybe a quest speaker. And by the time you get to show your photos to other members, it's late and everyone is tired.
    Ausphotography is a clubhouse in it's own right. It has members, committee members(moderators), president and vice president (Admins) just like any other club.
    The good thing about AP is it is open 24/7, the competitions are weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly. The only difference is that a member in a club can enter an image in an above (But not below) his/her level of competition.
    A member of AP doesn't have to sit there and listen to the admin side of the club, if he/she doesn't want to. Or can join in conversation with the executive on club matters if they so desire.

Yes the Level of images presented in competitions make it tough. But you can rate yourself by the amount of votes that you get in the competition. Some say the the popular members get the votes. I don't think that is right. I've seen some of the most highly respected members get no votes at all. I would like to see at least one or two weekly competitions judged by an individual-impartial judge. But beggers can't be choosers.

Keep up the good work AP team.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7,000 valid entries as of this morning

• 2 Competitions open for entry.
    • 7 Competitions open for voting.
    • 161 Competitions have been completed.
    • 7,000 valid entries in all competitions.
    Last edited by Kym; 01-08-2011 at 11:17am.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AP, the 24/7 photography club!

what i am getting from kym's analysis of the quality of entries is that only the very confident are entering. possibly those who dont think they can win dont bother... (?) i dont know if its true of not or even if its a good or bad thing, its just an observation

Ausphotography Regular out n about's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have to agree, we have only been in the forum for a short while but with submitting some photos for cc and getting responses we know that we are looking at how we take photos differently and improving our skills. We have entered some comps and voted in the others and while there are some amazing shots in there we still enter ours as we feel we have nothing to lose. If you don't have a go you will never know.
    Cheers Gayle & Colin

Give Life your Best Shot.
    http://flickr.com/photos/2blooms/

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Competitions are another way besides CC feedback of improving your skills.

Don't worry about winning - just use the Competitions as a way to set an improvement goal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Competitions are another way besides CC feedback of improving your skills.

Don't worry about winning - just use the Competitions as a way to set an improvement goal.
    a statement worth echoing!

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant mongo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Competitions are an active and interesting component of AP – even if you do not regularly enter.

Mongo spent a little time this morning voting in every competition to support this activity. It is very important to the success of the comp that we take that little time to vote – whether we have entered or not. Mongo thinks we should make the effort for those who have taken the time and care to prepare and enter their images in the comps. Besides, you never know, there will be the time that it might be your entry you were hoping members would take the time to vote for.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think I will be winning anything anytime soon however in the last comp I didnt finish last, woohoo!!! haha
    I think I was 5th last as apposed to 2nd last the one before I think.
    Getting better.... maybe haha
    Regards
    Occifer Nick

Nikon D7000 | Tokina 11-16/2.8 | Cokin P Series 121M Grad | Nikon 60mm 2.8D | Nauticam NA-D7000V underwater housing |

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^
    I agree with mungo
    I've noticed that about 100 votes are submitted for each competition. Has this number been going up or down, and could we somehow get more people to vote?
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S, a speedlite, a tripod, a monopod, a remote release and a padded bag to carry things in.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    ^
    I agree with mungo
    I've noticed that about 100 votes are submitted for each competition. Has this number been going up or down, and could we somehow get more people to vote?
    Generally we get a few more voters than entries to the comps. Most people will vote on all levels, not just their own.

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote even when I've not entered. We are happy for members to do that, more voters is good!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote on every comp. I feel it is my duty to do so. This site has helped me so much, that I feel that I should give as much as I take.
    Although I do look at the names who enter the comp when they are finished, and there are a lot of them I haven't seen in the CC section.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    Although I do look at the names who enter the comp when they are finished, and there are a lot of them I haven't seen in the CC section.
    The mods and I too. this is why competition entries and voting doesn't go towards 'active participation' on AP, and those that only enter the comps and nothing else get the pleasure of going inactive. As our inactive system is a reducing cycle (90 days, reactivate, 60 days, reactivate, 30 days, reactivate, 15 days...etc) Then they soon either give up, or learn that entering the comps only, will eventually see them locked out of the site completely anyway.

The reward for being an active forum contributor is being able to enter our comps and maybe win one, and a prize on occasion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a competition where software enhancement is not allowed? That is, straight out of the camera, or is that too hard to police? Not everyone wants to sit in front of a computer for long periods.

Sunrise Chaser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alf6 View Post
    Do you have a competition where software enhancement is not allowed? That is, straight out of the camera, or is that too hard to police? Not everyone wants to sit in front of a computer for long periods.
    Nah mate , There is no way to tell wether the image has had Post Production done to it , Short answer is too hard to Police ! Remember, All Digital images usually need some type of correction, EG, Always a Sharpen, And most times a contrast adjustment of some sort
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SOOC is a total con job, so we would never bother.

Your digital camera does these things (at minimum) when shooting JPEG (to varying degrees depending on settings)...
    • Contrast/Brightness
    • White balance
    • Tint
    • Saturation
    • Noise reduction
    • Sharpening

And all those adjustments are done by software that does what some geek programmer thought would be generically good and got put into the firmware.

At least shooting raw and doing it in PP is more honest, i.e. not depending on that geek software dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a very common comment from those new to photography, dont take offense, but quite a naive view. All photos that are of any standard have at least some but often a lot of processing

My own balance is one hour of processing for one hour of photography.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast