User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: New 7D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 7D

I used my new 7D for the first time today and Odille & I tried to work out how to select for 1 spot focus point. We scanned the manual but had no success. Can anyone please advise how to do this.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gabby, there are several ways to do this. Here's one way.
    Press the Q button on the rear of the camera.
    Move the cursor down to the third row near the left hand side and here you can select whichever focus mode you require. Spot focus appears as a square within a square.
    Keep in mind that this is not selectable if you are in Auto made.
    Cliff
    CC always appreciated
    gear: 7D, 400D, 17-55mm IS, 100mm Macro L IS, 70-300mm DO IS, EF 12II and EF 25II Extension Tubes, 580 EX II Speedlite, Printers - Pro9500 Mk II, MX396
    Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Tamron 18-270, Vanguard AltaPro 263AT Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head, Benro C-058 Tripod and J-1 Ballhead, Velbon Ultrastick 50LX Monopod
    LR5, PS CC

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gabby View Post
    I used my new 7D for the first time today and Odille & I tried to work out how to select for 1 spot focus point. We scanned the manual but had no success. Can anyone please advise how to do this.
    You need to register and enable it first in C fn III-6 I think. Then you use the M-fn and the magnifying button to cycle through the various focus systems till you get to the one you want, or as cliff said inthe Q select mode.Page 212-213 of the manual should help.
    Last edited by agb; 31-07-2011 at 2:37pm.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Cliff & graham - the pages we looked up from the index were no help..I'll check those pages and follow your advice- now I know there is a Q button - I hadn't even noticed it before. Do you mean the C3 on the dial at top left Graham?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gabby, I think you need to spend some time with the manual. What Graham mentioned is a Custom Function. NOT the C3 setting on the dial. Go to Menu>Custom Functions>C.FnIII>Item 6 and ensure that enable is set. You might have to read the book to make any sense of what I've just said.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a good look through the manual and it was, frankly, as clear as mud. I pressed the button on the top of the camera and set it to centre spot there but it is still all over the show in the viewfinder. With my (admittedly older Canons 1D models up to 1DsMkII once you did that it stayed on centre spot. Ah well, I've downloaded the manual and I'll spend some time reading it but of course I don't have the camera on hand to test.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odille,
    Press the menu button, then using the main dial, wheel on the top of the camera cycle through the menu settings, until you get to second last one, got a camera icon. It shows a number of C-Fn items, exposure, Image, the one you want is Autofocus drive. Press set,then use the other dial to go through the 13 sub menus. the one that you want is number 6. press set then use the dial again to go to register and make sure that the square with a circle in the middle has a tick, then apply then back to enable and all is good. Seems a bit complicated but I assure you it really is quite simple.
    Last edited by agb; 31-07-2011 at 4:53pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a quick search for tutorials on this subject. Here's one that seems to cover it all. The last half of this video tells you exactly what you want to know Gabby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBExH5wgoVY

and this one...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-K8MP1HFnE&NR=1
    Last edited by Cliff; 31-07-2011 at 4:59pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    Odille,
    Press the menu button, then using the main dial, wheel on the top of the camera cycle through the menu settings, until you get to second last one, got a camera icon. It shows a number of C-Fn items, exposure, Image, the one you want is Autofocus drive. Press set,then use the other dial to go through the 13 sub menus. the one that you want is number 6. press set then use the dial again to go to register and make sure that the square with a circle in the middle has a tick, then apply then back to enable and all is good. Seems a bit complicated but I assure you it really is quite simple.
    Thanks Graham, I got as far as the Cfn items and it all looked so horribly technical I didn't want to go on until I got some advice on what I was doing. I'll get together with Gail and we'll set it right before her next bird shoot!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Thanks Graham, I got as far as the Cfn items and it all looked so horribly technical I didn't want to go on until I got some advice on what I was doing. I'll get together with Gail and we'll set it right before her next bird shoot!
    pm sent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to the canon usa tutorials. they are pretty good and will show you around the 7D

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galle...utorials.shtml
    Canon 6d, 7d , 40d, 100-400L, 24-105Lmm, 50mm 1.8, 28-135 and a sigma 18-200
    Aquatech underwater housing
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilpoulton/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the links to the tutorials - I must be MANUALLY CHALLENGED because I honestly tried finding the data there and So did Odille and came to the conclusion that they are written in some obscure form of english by someone who really doesn't speak english as a primary language.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gabby View Post
    Thank you for the links to the tutorials - I must be MANUALLY CHALLENGED because I honestly tried finding the data there and So did Odille and came to the conclusion that they are written in some obscure form of english by someone who really doesn't speak english as a primary language.
    Gabby, is this sorted now ? If not then page 212 of the manual is required reading. There you will see that the spot focus point is not registered and has to be before you can use it. In the turorial link it is the one about af custom functions, just wait a little while it gets to it, about 2.31 minutes in.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Graham- I'm able to watch the tutorials tonight and will get back to you.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I watched the tutorials -very much more helpful... Thank you Graham for leading me through the process via video last night. You are all wonderful!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this worthwhile advice. The 7D is a lot different to the 450D isn't it? Lots of learning to do.

Cheers,

John W
    John W Sydney Australia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also upgraded from a 450D to a 7D and it certainly is a giant learning curve. But once you get the hang of it, its great!
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook