User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In camera sensor clean a waste of time?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Arthur and I note that you don't normally have to clean the sensor after after every shoot and I'm not adverse to the idea of cleaning my own sensor. The reason I'm asking other Nikon D7000 users is apparently there is a problem with the new oil they are using and after shooting off some pics the oil (basically more runny consistency) is flying/spattering onto the sensor. People are getting the sensor cleaned and after they use the camera the very next time the same oil spattering is happening. If this is a design fault then I would have to clean my sensor after every use! Why should I have to do that with a brand new camera? Shouldnt I expect better from a brand new product?

Ps; I reiterate that if this was a normal camera with normal dust problems I would happily go and buy a cleaning kit and do it myself. I have already purchased a can-o-air and tried to blow the dust off the D7000 sensor and what is there isn't dust and didn't budge. Again, this is a brand new camera only used a few times. I appreciate the comments from everyone but it seems that I'm not able to make my point properly. I just want to know from other D7000 users if they are having similar problems and what they did about it? Hey maybe we could do something like people are doing on the news last night with the banks and getting 1000 people to change bank loans for a better deal. Would Nikon take notice with 1000 D7000 owners all with the same problem? And not just fob off the individual! Lol
    Regards
    Occifer Nick

Nikon D7000 | Tokina 11-16/2.8 | Cokin P Series 121M Grad | Nikon 60mm 2.8D | Nauticam NA-D7000V underwater housing |

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,
    Problem resolved and confirmed by Nikon that there is excessive lubricant on some bodies. I posted a new topic here so that any fellow forum users who have a similar problem could search our forums and find a topic with my experience and solution.

Thanks everyone for your input its much appreciated.
    Regards
    Nick
    Last edited by occifer nick; 01-08-2011 at 2:00pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Nick. These things happen from time to time. There was a Canon model had the same issue - the 40D I think it might have been. Canon cleaned the offending cameras and resolved it to the satisfaction of all parties. I'm sure that Nikon will do the same.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Tannin I saw the actual information page that Canon had put up on their website. Something Nikon should do if they already haven’t. If they have I can’t find it. Maybe I will suggest that in the appreciation letter that I’m writing for the service I received from Robert at Nikon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been reading through a few of these threads now and if it wasn't for the info here on AP (my first point of reference) I might not have been so clear as to what was happening with my camera nor would I have had the confidence to order a CopperHill sensor cleaning kit to tackle the clean myself. I have only just started using a tripod again with small apertures in low light and this has made me aware just how bad the issue really is. The amount of work in pp to try and clone them out is driving me nuts. Almost to the extent that I am reluctant to use it now until I get the kit and start giving it a good clean.

Roy

5D MkIII gripped; EF 17-40 f/4L; EF 24-105 f/4L; EF 50 f/1.8; EF 135 f/2L; 580EXII; Manfrotto 055XPROB & 308RC ballhead; Computrekker Plus AW
    My Photobucket / My flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not normally big on paying for extended warranties, but the extended warranty on the Canon 60D includes one professional cleaning a year for the whole period of the extended warranty. That was a selling point for me, as the cost of the extended warranty was lower than a single professional clean, so to get several of them along with the extra warranty was worth it.
    Mind you, I only own one lens, so in theory the fact that my camera does an in camera sensor clean everytime you turn it on or off, is probably a bit of a waste of time.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    Mind you, I only own one lens, so in theory the fact that my camera does an in camera sensor clean everytime you turn it on or off, is probably a bit of a waste of time.
    Not necesselery!

I have a D70s and a D300 and the D300 with in camera sensor cleaning does indeed stay cleaner for longer than the D70s does.

With respect to your lens tho, because it's a zoom and because it's probably not environmentally sealed, most dust particles will enter the camera's mirror chamber through the lens itself.

Zooming in and out acts a bit like a pump. It may take longer to traverse the obstacles within the lens, but eventually the dust particles will get to the camera and hence eventually onto the sensor.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12