Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Canon lenses for general-purpose, everyday photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon lenses for general-purpose, everyday photography

Hi,
    I'm new in Photography and learning . I bought myself a Canon EOS 60D with twin lens kit 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS 6 almost 6 months. I do like taking portrait and sometimes in low light. Now a days i'm feeling i need a mid range lens that will cover a bit of distance and will not compromise with focus, speed and quality of photos. i need to swap lens most of the time.
    still i can fit that in my budget .
    Would you please help me to choose a good lens that will cover my everyday photos , of-course in budget. i can spend upto $1000

Please post your advice and suggestions ...
    Will really appreciate your help.

thanks
    John

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you just want advice on another zoom, but a faster one than you have, or about fast prime lenses?

Everyones idea of general photography will be different too but one of the best lenses in the Canon range is the 24-70/2.8 but this is clearly outside your price range unless you buy second hand. Optically it is an excellent lens and many primes are put to shame by it. It's no slouch.

If you want faster lenses than 2.8 then you will have to buy primes.

As always, decide what you want the lens to do and then choose the lens. There are no perfect lenses out there and those that are close usually have prices to match.

JJ

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I moved your thread from introductions (welcome)...but it is more suited to Canon Gear forum as it is asking questions about that
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day John and welcome. Search around AP a little and you can generally find something that helps. I often have a question, I search AP and find it's been asked and answered before. Nontheless try this thread http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...All-round-lens
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for everyday use I use a 70-200 2.8, but again a little out of your budget sorry. I agree glass is important, but what are your current lenses not doing for you?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Guys for your opinion.
    really appreciate that.

@Mr . Allann,
    i'm facing problem in low light photos.my lenses cannot focus properly.
    while I'm taking landscape photos ,it cant cover wider area..

I also like to have a faster prime lens..I found the 50mm prime has a good review. and also read abt 28-135mm USM f/3.5 .. those also, suits in my budget .
    Any comments..!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

i have a 24-105 are am surprised every time just how good the pictures are. Even though it is F4 with the IS and bumping the ISO a bit it does the job perfectly.

Under $1k on the grey market if that is close to your budget.

cheers,
    Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you go to third party lenses, Tamron etc, I don't think you'll get a fast (f2.8) zoom on your budget.
    You might, if you try hard enough, get a 50 f1.8 for low light situations and portraits, and a 15-85 IS USM as an excellent walkaround lens within your budget.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For landscape you if want wider then Canon 10-22mm is the go. If faster then Tamron 17-50 F2.8 non VC is sharp and great value. Otherwise all purpose Canon 15-85 this is a better lens than the 28-135 you are thinking about.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, firstly welcome to the forum. My first DSLR was a 400D Twin Lens Kit. My first lens purchase after about 9 months was the nifty 50 (50mm F1.8) canon lens for low light work and it took the close up filters from my film days for some macro work. Using that and the kit lenses (18-55 & 70-300) over the next 12-18 months I worked out the focal lengths I used most and based my further purchases on that and now cover 10-500mm. My future purchases will be to upgrade quality.
    Keith.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'Day John oops hit enter before adding the rest - see the post below.
    Last edited by flyfisher; 31-07-2011 at 8:12pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'Day John
    My two bob's worth is that if you looking for a fast 50 the Sigma 1.4 is good and in your price range. I bought mine when I purchased my 5D MkII and have loved it as a standard walk around lens. In hindsight I would love to have purchased the 24-105mm as this is a very good lens and also within your price range on the gray market (it will suit your landscapes as well) . I remember when I was upgrading my lens from the kit lens for my first camera I used to ring the camera houses looking for good second hand equipment as this may save you hundreds. Touch wood I have never had any issues with my Canon 70-200 f2.8L second hand and it is as sharp as a tack.
    Like others have suggested it is all about what you are shooting and pushing the limitations of what you have before you shell out more money. Given the chance I would wander into your local camera store and ask if you could try a couple of test shots using one of the suggested lens - after all it is your hard earned we are recommending that you spend.
    cheers
    Flyfisher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhjohn83 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new in Photography and learning . I bought myself a Canon EOS 60D with twin lens kit 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS 6 almost 6 months. I do like taking portrait and sometimes in low light. Now a days i'm feeling i need a mid range lens that will cover a bit of distance and will not compromise with focus, speed and quality of photos. i need to swap lens most of the time. still i can fit that in my budget .
    Would you please help me to choose a good lens that will cover my everyday photos , of-course in budget. i can spend upto $1000

Please post your advice and suggestions ...
    Will really appreciate your help.

thanks
    John
    it depends on what you put more wight on in my opinion. You will always have a compromise between speed, range and quality. Usually those lenses which do this fairly well are expesive.

What is an acceptable speed. Does it have to be at least f4 or f2.8 or can it have a max aperture of 5.6 on the long end?
    I think the canon 15-85mm will be a good upgrade of your current 18-55, however there is no advantage of speed, you do however gain USM focus. The canon 17-55 would give good optical quality, as well as a faster lens, however it is basically the same range as your current lens.
    As you said you could try something like a 50mm f/1.8 and see how that goes. This lens is pretty cheap and not bad optical quality either
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there has been some great advice, but I would find a vendor that hires out lenses, and try a few out before you invest the money. if the 50 is an option, i'd spend a little more and get the 1.4 instead, much better build quailty and it isn't plastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John,
    My recommendation for a walk-about lens would be the Canon 18-135mm or the 18-200mm. These are consumer zooms but the build quality aren't bad, they both come with IS which is handy for low light. Not the ideal lens for low light as they top out at f/5.6 in the long end but great for portraits and general walk around. For low light portraiture, you can't beat the 50mm f/1.8 in value, if you can afford it go for the f/1.4 version of either Canon or Sigma.
    Landscapes in my opinion do not require a fast lens as you will require the depth of field. The canon 10-22mm is nice but pricey and isn't too far off from the 17-40L. For my money I would go with the 17-40L, excellent sharpness, colour, contrast and build quality is top notch.
    I own the 28-135mm and like it very much, but I find it better suited to FF because its close to 45mm on the 60D and sometimes there is simply no room to backup to get a wider field of view.
    Have a play instore with the lenses and see which one feels comfortable.