Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: colour blind

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkie View Post
    May I ask you something if you don't mind... do you just guess your way though with colours but other times you know but other times you are not sure
    my colourblindness mainly affects my ability to perceive shades of green. I look at a forest and see green. I can distinguish that some are lighter and some are darker, but they are really just green to me. My wife sees lots of variation, with different greens. I have similar issues with some reds/pinks, but have no problems distinguishing red from green. So, I don't have to guess my way through colours, but often miss some of the subtleties.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkie View Post
    If somebody is colour blind how would this affect their way of seeing a photo I know there is lots of different types of colour blindness but this got me thinking how would somebody that is colour blind see a photo. My partner is colour blind and is a pretty good guesser but at times he still has to ask what colour is that car for an example but I have also noticed if I do black and white photos he will tell me that it looks good but most if not all of my colour photos he say's it looks crap it seems the brighter colours seems to affect him the most like colours of a sunrise photo for example anyway maybe I am asking the wrong people maybe I should ask a doctor not sure maybe this is something that is taught in tafe maybe even its just touched on photographer course I mean but if you know or have a clue I would love to hear from you.
    My Husband is Colour blind and sees only colours that are completely different from others around. It would appear that if colours are similar in tones then he is quite unable to see the difference. Road maps and train Journey layouts have no lines to his perception or if he sees them they are all the one colour. He does take beautiful Black and White Photos though and appreciates monochrome more than coloured images.

Maggiebee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it can also just depend on the person - some people (guys mostly???) aren't that fussed on knowing all the different colours out there, so they'll go with blue instead of aqua, red instead of maroon etc.
    My husband is also colour-blind (slightly), and also fairly critical of my work. But then, I just thought that was because he was too picky
    At the end of the day, even negative comments make us think and re-evaluate the photos we are producing, which in the end makes us better photographers.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was diagnosed colour blind when I joined the army. Not severe but unable to distinguish subtle changes and unable to distinguish red from green (minor.....yes I know if the traffic light is on green!). To give an example, let's play pool.. dammit, low light and a 6 foot table....no, I cannot tell the red from the brown ball, untill I walk up close and ID them.

Same with photograpy. I cannot see subtle differences but I process what I took and I took what I saw. Colour is just another variable that is often overcome.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggiebee View Post
    My Husband is Colour blind and sees only colours that are completely different from others around. It would appear that if colours are similar in tones then he is quite unable to see the difference. Road maps and train Journey layouts have no lines to his perception or if he sees them they are all the one colour. He does take beautiful Black and White Photos though and appreciates monochrome more than coloured images.

Maggiebee
    your hubby sounds a lot like my partner I raised this topic up with him again yesterday but he just wont get into it with me maybe because he does not remember or the information he was given was not important to him we have been together for about 2 and half years now and as an older couple we both have lived different life's and life style until now we share our life's any way in the convo we were having he was pointing to things saying this is blue this is red he was spot on each time and then laughed and said I only know that because you told me. He also seems to enjoy seeing my photos in B&W rather then colour Ill show him the colour photos and most of the right off he will say oh that is terrible I then do some pp on it and change it to B&W do nothing more nothing less and show him he may not say stuff like wow he does not say things like that he is the type of person that say 's not bad but he will always say that is much better
    All experts were once beginners

Nikon D3100 18 55 kit lens Nikon 35 mm Nikon 70 300mm optex tripod

MWAH! Sandy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this article and thought it may be an interesting contribution to this discussion...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14421303
    Nikon D750
    Olympus m/43
    Rolleicord IV

My SmugMug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but i too am colour blind. Given that ive re discovered photography i am a little concerened that what i see as good, others may view as poor.
    I too was once in the Army, after failing the colour test (them stupid dots, do they even make a pattern?? lol) i was advised that my chosen feild was no longer an option I am hoping that photography wont be the same story..

Wayne.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My partner is also mildly colour blind but seems able to see most colours as the colour I see but who knows of it is the same shade. I also found this link which shows some colour photos in the way some colour blind people may see them.

* removed. Members with less than 30 days membership and 50 posts are only allowed to link to their own personal photographic website. Please read the site rules*
    Last edited by ricktas; 13-09-2011 at 1:50pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Rick, I did not equate the rules to the site I posted, my mistake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12