User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: Bought a Hard Drive from ALDI? It comes with a free virus!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bought a Hard Drive from ALDI? It comes with a free virus!

OOPS!

ALDI external hard drives available for sale as part of its "special buys" purchases have been found to contain a computer virus.

The Fission External 4-in-1 hard drive, DVD, USB and card reader device was withdrawn from sale this morning.

The hard drive is supplied to ALDI by a company called Smart IT Australia, described on its website as a global company which sells electronics products to 10 countries.

The company also supplies support for ALDI electronics products branded under the Tevion label.

ALDI is recommending consumers who have already purchased the hard drive and connected it to their personal computers to use Kaspersky antivirus software or similar to scan computers and USB storage devices to detect and remove the virus if present.

ALDI has also told customers that free antivirus checkers can be downloaded at free.avg.com.

"A full re-format will remove the virus from the 4-in-1 Hard Drive," a statement from ALDI advises.

"Customers who have purchased the product can return it to the store where they bought it to receive a full refund."

Consumers can also contact the manufacturer's technical support hotline on 1300 558 702.

Last edited by ricktas; 29-07-2011 at 4:11pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOops indeed, that is dissappointing as Aldi sometimes has good stuff....but then again, when relying on a piece of hardware to look after my memories, I don't thik I would be using an Aldi product...sorry.
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know why anyone would accept the free refund offer in lieu of suing for any lost data!

Still, even Apple have been guilty of shipping virus infested CD's and diskettes. In fact, Apple's headquarters was once touted at the most virus-ridden site in the USA! Don't know if I believe that, but it is possible given the geek factor there.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows is a virus with it's own user interface
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what happens if you buy your electronic equipment from a company that specializes in frozen cheap french fries straight from the dirty carton boxes

@Kym: windows is not a virus - viruses are free and usually work without infuriating its users which cannot be said from wintendo.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!