User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beginners, What do you want to learn next?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just starting to get a grasp of light metering, grey cards and histograms. And using them for what I think is known as high key or low key shots? In my searches there isn't many topics floating around.

More specifically a guide to buying light meters. Everywhere google takes me is weighted towards a specific brand.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanisMay View Post
    What I mostly need to learn is motivation. It seems to be lacking at the moment. However, just like RedSky83 and cfm, I too am trying to work on sharpness as I take almost all of my shots handheld. I like to photograph birds. Tough subject for a beginner I know but I am practising on my 2 new puppies (tough subjects as well). I have just bought a Canon 60D and a kit lens to use until I get a decent zoom lens. As I understand it a lot of people try to lean on something - a post, a wall, their car, to steady their shots. I also read a post by a gentleman who kneels and uses a monpod. There is so much great advice on this site. Trying to use this as my motivation and inspiration.
    Janis
    Canon 60D, 35-185mm Canon lens
    Sharpness issues:

1. Shutter speed is generally the most common cause, to slow and you catch movement from the subject or movement from the camera during the exposure. This is THE most common cause of image blur for beginners.

2. Lenses, some lenses are just not that sharp anyway

3. Lenses and aperture. Most lenses have a 'sweet spot' where they are sharpest. This is usually around f8-f11, Lenses are often not that sharp wide open (f2.8 and f3..5 etc, or closed right down f22).

4. All digital photos need some sharpening in post processing to improve them, read THIS

5. It is often noted that resizing photos (for the net etc) reduces their sharpness, it is worth considering resizing and then sharpening before uploading to the net, emailing to friends etc.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shakes View Post
    I'm just starting to get a grasp of light metering, grey cards and histograms. And using them for what I think is known as high key or low key shots? In my searches there isn't many topics floating around.

More specifically a guide to buying light meters. Everywhere google takes me is weighted towards a specific brand.
    Digital SLR's have a light meter built into them, use this! Just read up on how light meters work, and then make use of the one inside your DSLR. I have a light meter for film photography, but at times I have used my DSLR to meter a scene, and then use those settings for my film camera, it has been reliable, so I trust the light meter inside my DSLR's.

However, if you want an article on how light meters work , look here, as for a buying guide, it is really up to you to get an understanding of the features of light meters and then look at the different models and choose one with the features you want. I use a Sekonic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick... Lots of usefull info through that link! The one little (major) bit that catches me, is where to meter the light from in various situations. Again aimed more towards high/low key stuff.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanisMay View Post
    What I mostly need to learn is motivation.
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...6-%28yellow%29
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a great resource here for beginners, answers and links to info... thankyou

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have A LOT to learn as a very new newbie.

I have taken a few workshops and have the basics under my belt but eager to learn more about using flash, night photography and post processing.
    Lightroom and photoshop have been fun to use and I have been spending alot of time just playing around with them. If anyone could post some good tutorials that would be great!

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rach, go to the LIBRARY, click on NEW TO PHOTOGRAPHY, for all the basics, otherwise their are tutorials and assistance all across the site, that is what it is here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank u I have just been reading the "new to photography" section.

It will certainly take me awhile to read but am finding some great tips

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RachD View Post
    ............ If anyone could post some good tutorials that would be great!
    You'll find some right here in AP
    And as time goes by you'll come across other references around here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123