User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginners, What do you want to learn next?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Beginners, What do you want to learn next?

Following on from Nikkie's thread about what you have learnt, which is a great discussion, I thought finding out where you are up to with your photographic learnings and what you want to learn next, or don't understand, might prove to be a more valuable discussion.

So what do you want to learn about next? Or what don't you understand? regarding photography
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I need to still learn a lot about studio lighting ratios and techniques

I class myself as a beginner in studio work
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your best friend in the Studio would be a good quality Light Meter Darren.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Your best friend in the Studio would be a good quality Light Meter Darren.
    I have one, Sekonic. It's more about light placement and ratios and especially posing.

I think a lot of its practice, and I just don't do much of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to learn how to get the white balance right! I only shoot jpeg so I would really like to learn to get it right in camera
    Cheers,
    Terri

Nikon D90 | Olympus XZ-1 | Nikkor 35mm f1.8 | Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 | Nikon 105mm f2.8 Micro | Nikon 50mm f1.4 | Nikon 18-105mm VR | Photoshop Element 7.0 | Manfrotto 190X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    I would like to learn how to get the white balance right! I only shoot jpeg so I would really like to learn to get it right in camera
    If you want to get it "right" in camera (you'd be better off using RAW)

Using the right camera preset to start with is a good idea (eg. Cloudy if outside) etc. You can also use devices like an expodisc to preset a "right" wb or use a grey card or neutral reference point in the shot so you can change the wb in post processing
    Last edited by kiwi; 27-07-2011 at 9:51am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Rick this will be a big benefit to all of us not just learners but even those what want to learn more. I am just starting to put ISO and fstops together but the shutter speed is still a big thing for me. IE a bird flying, a car driving, a man chopping wood, dogs running around or playing. There are so many different types of speeds from something not moving at all to a car race horse race so on so there forth in my understanding there would also be so many different shutter speeds that one should use for different types of movement. Is there say a good starting point for each or some of these like for an example the bird flying is not going to be flying in your cameras distance for long so say I am outside taking photos of flowers and a bird fly past I can or should be able to get the camera from the flower to the bird but not having the right shutter speed this I think would be very hard scenario to do to catch the bird. But say I went out to try and shoot a bird flying and waited until on flew by is there a good rule to thumb that I should have shutter speed set to at least for starting point because I also guess this would depend on the speed the bird is flying as well. for one example Darren and Tony told me that a good ISO in most case's is around ISO 100 and a good fstop is around 8 I think that is what it is by memory. So what about shutter speeds.
    All experts were once beginners

Nikon D3100 18 55 kit lens Nikon 35 mm Nikon 70 300mm optex tripod

MWAH! Sandy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sandy here is a link to a thread with some really good advice from Tony that he gave me regarding birds in flight
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...terdays-Wedgie
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    If you want to get it "right" in camera (you'd be better off using RAW)

Using the right camera preset to start with is a good idea (eg. Cloudy if outside) etc. You can also use devices like an expodisc to preset a "right" wb or use a grey card or neutral reference point in the shot so you can change the wb in post processing
    Thanks very much for your reply Kiwi. I have not worked out how to process RAW - when I try to open it in Photoshop it doesn't actually "see" the file?

The best luck I've had with in-camera WB has been using "Auto". When I try to get smarter and use settings like cloudy, for some reason I never seem to pick the right one. I guess it's about persistence and practice.

What do you mean by "grey card"? Is that just exactly that - a piece of card coloured grey? And then I would match the card (actual) against the card (photo) on the screen in photoshop? (please don't laugh if I have this all wrong ). Why grey too?

Sorry, maybe too many questions. I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel now (albeit tinged blue ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pipe View Post
    Sandy here is a link to a thread with some really good advice from Tony that he gave me regarding birds in flight
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...terdays-Wedgie
    thanks very much Duane I will go and read that now thanks a lot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terri, to get photoshop to "see" your raw file, you need to install a plug in. Which from memory is called CameraRaw, update that and you will be able to see and edit your raw files

To do this you click on help then go to updates. And let it update your application.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Others can probably give you more info, but PS won't open the RAW files, you need either Lightroom, or another program that specifically opens up the RAW file, then you transfer to PS for more editing. I use Lightroom and find it fantastic for editing whitebalance, exposure etc. RAW saves more detail than JPEG (deletes some pixels for compression) but will give you a very flat, dull image when you put it into LR because it doesn't do ANY editing in the camera. If you shoot JPEG, the camera does some editing like exposure and colour, as well as other things. YOU ARE THE EDITOR and you determine how you want the image to look like, not the camera! Love RAW, but I still have to get my head around the dull flat image thing sometimes! LOL
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to learn more about Photoshop. I have just started understanding layers and how to dodge and burn in those, but I know there are soooo many other things you can do to make the image 'sparkle'.

I would also love to learn more about taking photos of people - but not the average in-studio look - more the character-down-the-street look. I know that sounds vague. Street photography is starting to become a big interest....pity I live on a property in the hills! Not too many people here!

I would also love to learn how to use a medium format camera. A person is willing to lend me his Hasselblad, so I can have a bit of a play. How to develop properly in a dark room (did this in school but not afterwards) would be fantastic as well.

Soooo much to learn, i can't wait!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ms Monny, can you alter WB in Lightroom in a jpeg file, or does it have to be RAW?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you can alter WB in Lightroom with a jpeg, but because you have set either auto, cloudy etc in the camera beforehand, it will have an affect on the image BEFORE you adjust in LR.

When you set your camera for RAW, then there is no WB done in the camera (don't be fooled by the image you see on your camera screen, this is just what the camera THINKS you should be seeing, not the RAW image).

If you want, why not shoot in both RAW and jpeg at the same time (if your camera does this) and then compare them in Lightroom or Cameraraw? You will instantly see what you can do with the jpeg photo compared to the raw photo, plus you will see just how many megapixels they both have...raw will def have alot more, meaning more detail wasn't thrown away like the jpeg image.

Have a bit of a play, nothing to lose.
    Last edited by Ms Monny; 27-07-2011 at 12:28pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pondered over this question I know what I am currently learning and also need to practise and improve upon which is lighting, flash and off camera flash including exposure. I guess the other thing that has come from this is I really still don't understand when I need to adjust "one or two stops" or exposure compensate I normally just move my f stop and/or shutter speed re-test then adjust again if necessary I would like to be able to know off the top of the head what to do properly.
    Kassy
    Nikon D700
    CC Welcome and Appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I guess the next thing I want to work on are actions shots (which, at the moment, are spectacular failures!!) I am saving (and hoping Nikon do something fast) for a long lens as I would really like to get into birding etc..but for now, I plan to use my dogs as subjects. So I have been reading everything I can on fast shutter speeds, etc and, if it ever stops raining here, I hope to get out and try. So stay tuned for some rather ordinary shots! All help and advice gratefully received
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MS Monny - you can alter raw photos in photoshop I know I sure do :P USing a plug in called Camera Raw. I use cs5.1 photoshop. Not sure about older versions Should be fine in them too id say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flashes and external lighting!

I recently discovered while in a club taking photos of friends, that if I held a card in front of my flash to direct it upwards, they'd come out with more natural skin tones instead of white like ghosts haha.. Upon talking to Keefy, he sparked an interest in Strobing and stuff like that!

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gota learn all about RAW, Sigma Photo Pro 5, & the next stage after that, in PP be it PSE8 or CS3 ????????
    Cheers
    Col

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast