Thread: 580EX II or 430EX II?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

580EX II or 430EX II?

Hi all,

Seen a lot of people around here us the 580EX II. Is this because the 430EX II isn't worth the dollars? Or is it because the advantage of the 580 over the 430 is greater than the difference in cost?

Read reviews on both - seems to be a common suggestion that the 580 is worth stretching for over the 430. Anyone have an examples they can share of past experiences with these two units?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Fedgrub; 26-07-2011 at 3:09pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on what you plan to use the flash for and how you plan to use it. If it's just for basic single "on camera flash" portraits etc. then the 430 is probably sufficient. It is a very capable unit and is smaller and lighter than the 580.

The 580 is larger, heavier and more expensive. However it is more powerful (eg. important for use with telephoto wildlife photography), faster recycling, can use an external powerpack, acts as Flash "Master" (i.e. can control groups of other speedlites), more "rugged" build and weather resistant, PC Sync port, various other advanced features - if you don't already know then you probably don't need them...

As with most things you get what you pay for. If there's a good possibility you may want/need some of those features now or in the near future, get the 580 you won't regret it. Otherwise for basic flash applications the 430 would serve you very well.

Couple of good reviews for more detailed comparison:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...sh-Review.aspx
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...sh-Review.aspx

Cheers
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are also other brands that do the job well, for a lot less money.

I have a 580EXII, and it's a wonderful flash, but I recently needed a second unit, and bought a Nissin flash for $117 and it works really well in auto with my 60D and also wirelessly withthe built-in wireless function of the camera.

For the price of a 580EXII, you can almost buy 2 of the top-of-the-line Nissins.
    From where I usually buy my stuff, the 580 is $441.25 and the 430 is $268.65, and the top of the line Nissin is $270.65 and has as much (and just a little bit more) power as the 580.

If your heart is set on getting a Canon unit, get the 580 first, then if you need another flash, then get a 430, but if you only have one flash, you can't go past the 580 or the big Nissin.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As well as the good reason already given, the 580 is easier/quicker to adjust via the main dial on the rear. Important in some situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second the Nissin option.

I have had the 580exII for a fair while now and recently got the Nissin Di866 II,

The Nissin is a top unit (so far)
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, haven't considered the Nissin, but will now. Seems to be a common favourite.Thanks everyone.

Is its back interface easy enough to use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, if you are willing to learn how to use flash in manual mode; you don't need ETTL, you'll find some very good bargains for <$100.

Though, if you're not willing to climb a steepish learning curve, stick with E-TTL.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the reasons John (Wabbles) has mentioned, if you have the cash - go the 580. If you are on a budget, consider your needs and options. Chances are if you continue with photography, sooner of later you may want to use multiple flash units and the 580 is the starting point (as a master) for this work.

I have the 430, a great unit but sometimes feel lacking (Power wise) as I like to use it to fill the shadows when photographing a horse or similiar but is fine for portraits. If I had the cash at the time I would have went the 580 but it is a personal consideration really. One thing is for sure - you definitely need an external flash
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    For the reasons John (Wabbles) has mentioned, if you have the cash - go the 580. If you are on a budget, consider your needs and options. Chances are if you continue with photography, sooner of later you may want to use multiple flash units and the 580 is the starting point (as a master) for this work.

I have the 430, a great unit but sometimes feel lacking (Power wise) as I like to use it to fill the shadows when photographing a horse or similiar but is fine for portraits. If I had the cash at the time I would have went the 580 but it is a personal consideration really. One thing is for sure - you definitely need an external flash
    Hmm, so on the fence between the 580 and the Di866. I have the money for the 580, but I was hoping to get the 24-105mm f/4L lens soon, and the 580 will set me back 2 weeks or so on my plan.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    I'll second the Nissin option.

I have had the 580exII for a fair while now and recently got the Nissin Di866 II,

The Nissin is a top unit (so far)
    Scotty, where did you get the Nissan from and how much if I may be so bold?

Cheers mate.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Scotty, where did you get the Nissan from and how much if I may be so bold?

Cheers mate.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissin-Di...item4cf7640f1c

delivered on the 4th day...

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Love your work mate, site sponsor and all.

Thanks again...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 420Ex's superseded of course, but i have the wireless trigger which does the eTTL stuff. I find this a bit hit and miss because of the IR trigger. Sometimes when doing 18th formals there is usually a goose with a beer standing in between the IR transmitter and the flash. I bought a dirt cheap radio transmitter and it works really well but there is no eTTL of course, but stuff it, I just get a reading from my Sekonic, lock it in Eddie and whoa perfect exposure. All joyous options!
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Love your work mate, site sponsor and all.

Thanks again...
    So they are...