User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  33
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Which Photo for Comp"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what its worth - compositionally Golden Dawn is probably technically the best. Subjectively, they're all really good and I can see why you'd have trouble choosing one.

But to be specific - I personally would crop the lefty of the frame (the sun) out of :
    "Untitled Sunrise"
    because its not needed, and its distracting and my eye is led out of the image

Just put your hand up to block the left out and you'll see what I mean

Same for:
    "Sunrise 2-7-11"
    But I would also darken down the bottom left to keep the viewer on the splash of the wave.

"Aqua Wave"
    I'd darken down the left side of the water - again containing the viewer to the horizon, what you "want" the viewer to see.

"Concrete Lines"
    and
    "The Gorge"
    Both good, but not standout enough (in comparison with what you have) - the others are stronger.

Which to me leaves Golden Dawn as the strongest image in its present state. HTH
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks William, Is that a standard size for Exhibitions in Comps ?

@rickstew, There is 2 categories, "Active and Healthy Seniors" and an "Open Subject" Matt board is to be no thicker than 4mm , This comp is for 50+ Photogrphers
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Thanks William, Is that a standard size for Exhibitions in Comps ?

@rickstew, There is 2 categories, "Active and Healthy Seniors" and an "Open Subject" Matt board is to be no thicker than 4mm , This comp is for 50+ Photogrphers
    No not neccesarily a standard size for exhibitions or comps as far as I know - However it just happens to be the same size Matt/max print size for the Australian Professional Photographic Awards - and all corresponding AIPP State Awards. A lot of people do make the mistake of assuming that just because the Max Size of 20 x 16 (inches) that the image either has to be that size, or that the image has to be a corresponding image size.

Its a good standard though. And if it helps - while this is purely a subjective view - stick to either off white or white for the Matt surrounding the image. Coloured matt boards IMHO distract from an image in a judging scenario.
    Last edited by Longshots; 26-07-2011 at 5:35pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep , Matt board will be White, Thanks for the info William, If i win this or get a place it will pay to fix the 24-105 repair , Here's hoping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    golden dawn or aqua wave for me.

The portrait shots feel tilted to me, although the horizon is stright, it may be the elements in the foreground. I think in general many landscape shots feel off balance even with straight horizons.

overall processing wise, pictures have good depth and feel
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aqua Wave for me, but is it just me but it looks a little leaning to the right??

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Russell, Yep just checked it and your right, Just sent the reworked version to the printers , As well as Golden Dawn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All great shots Bill. "Sunrise 2-7-11" with the conduit cloned out would get my vote but you can't go wrong with "Aqua Wave". I will keep my fingers crossed for you
    Andrew

Mostly Canon gear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Quote : "Photographs will be evaluated by a judge with paricular reference to , Quality, technique, originality, and interpretation of the theme" These are for the Open category

Thanks Kassy , I was always leaning towards Aqua Wave , Should look good in Pearl
    Bill, it will look great in Pearl, I see you have sent it to the printer
    I do like the re-work of Golden Dawn, why can't you enter two (or do the rules restrict you to one entry). Anyway good luck, lets hope this gets your lens repaired. I believe either one are quality images and would win if it were up to me
    Kassy
    Nikon D700
    CC Welcome and Appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kassey , Your allowed 2 entries , In total ,So far it's going to cost , With framing $50 each, Gotta watch the $$'s , So I'll go with the saying , You only need one to win

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Willy

Mate, IMHO, I find most of the shots 'too much in my face with the foreground", the foreground is dominating the shot and is not contributing a lot to the overall result.

For me, Aqua Wave is the stand out, and I'd like to see you play with the levels to bring some more Red/Orange/Yellow in the sky.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody , You've all been very helpful Much appreciated I have to have the entry in by the 8th August, Judging and display will be on the 25th August , Will definatly keep you all informed on how things go
    PS : Well at least I'll get to keep a nice print for the wall. BTW , 1st $500, 2nd $200, 3rd $100 in both Categories
    Last edited by William; 26-07-2011 at 8:58pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best shot is "sunrise 2-7-11". What makes it happen for me, is that the lines all lead in some way to the compelling starburst wave in the middle of the image.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Golden Dawn for me Bill. I think it's clean, pleasing to the eye and has some wonderful colours throughout. Nothing wrong with the others though. Your choice.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good like Bill that was one of the two I thought would be a go also - let us all know how you go mate. Definitely in with a chance, magnificent photo.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill, Did you pick up your print from the printer today? Dying to hear how it looks on the pearl paper

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered it yesterday arvo, And it was ready to be picked up after 12 noon today (Got an Email) Will pick it up first thing tomorrow , Aqua wave is the one I decided on , Will certainly let you know in this thread , Southport is a long drive from Palmy !!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Image , Printed and framed, Looks great in "Fuji Pearl" , Just got to submit it on the 8th August , Display starts on the 25th Aug,

Formerly known as : ColdBlood :
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my choice is #2 - "Golden Dawn" because it has the best composition out of these.
    and also - it has a very well balanced lighting throughout the photo (unlike the Aqua wave, which has too bright bottom right, too dark wave and gradual filter leftovers on the rock)
    as a 2nd choice I'd take the Untitled Sunrise because of its great light that reveals rocks structure

good luck
    Nikon D750, Tamron 15-30, Nikkor 70-300 VR2
    https://antongorlin.com
    Real Estate Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Golden Dawn for me... Definitely.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast