Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  33
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Which Photo for Comp"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Which Photo for Comp"

It's getting close to the time I have to get a Print done for a local photo comp , I'm going to get it done at A3 size in "Fuji Pearl" Paper, It has to be mounted on Matt Board 16x20 inches , Do you think I can decide on which one , No Way ! I need help in choosing the image , I know I can depend on you guys for some help , The Question is.

Which one should I enter in the Competition , It's to Celebrate "Seniors Week" This will be for the "Open" section, you have to be over 50 to enter

Here's my short list; Help would be appreciated - Bill

"The Gorge"

"Golden Dawn"

"Concrete Lines"

"Aqua Wave"

"Sunrise 2-7-11"

"Untitled Sunrise"

Help Appreciated- Bill
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill. none of those seem to be in 8 x 10 format (16x20). except possibly the last.

Maybe crop to ratio or print in a different size. does it have to be 16 x 20. ? It doesn't suit these images.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 26-07-2011 at 12:00pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Art, Just the finished Matt size has to be 16x20 inches , So I guess the actual image can be any format as long as it fits in the 16x20 Matt Board , Is my understanding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill, Golden Dawn and Aqua Wave are my two favourites from your list. The Golden Dawn appeals to me for colours in the sky but I really love the colour in the wave in Aqua Wave really stands out to me but on saying that I would have absolutely no idea what judges and competitions require this is just an emotional response looking at all the photos.
    Kassy
    Nikon D700
    CC Welcome and Appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote : "Photographs will be evaluated by a judge with paricular reference to , Quality, technique, originality, and interpretation of the theme" These are for the Open category

Thanks Kassy , I was always leaning towards Aqua Wave , Should look good in Pearl

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even wtihout reading other's comments, I would have said aqua wave too Bill - form of the wave is more defined than the others and the colours as per the title - should look good big
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are all awsum Bill but aqua wave for me it's a cracker
    Canon5D MK III,Canon 6D,Canon 17-40 L ,Canon 24-70 MKIIL , [/COLOR],Canon 70-200MkII L ,Sigma Fisheye 15mm 2.8 ,Canon 2xMk3 Extender, 430EX11 Flash , Lee Big Stopper & Other Lee Filters.
    Manfrotto 055XPROB + 322RC2 + MBAG80P.
    Critique is allways welcome, Any help and advise will allways be appreciated.

davidwalkerphotography.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi William. Firstly, I will say I have no experience in any kind of photography competition! ... My favourite though, is Untitled Sunrise. It is the one with the most interest (to me) in the foreground of the picture. I also love Aqua Wave
    Cheers,
    Terri

Nikon D90 | Olympus XZ-1 | Nikkor 35mm f1.8 | Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 | Nikon 105mm f2.8 Micro | Nikon 50mm f1.4 | Nikon 18-105mm VR | Photoshop Element 7.0 | Manfrotto 190X

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find one of the most difficult things to do in photography is choosing between landscapes when they are all high quality. Anyhoo, my take would be:
    for lighting: "Sunrise 2-7-11"
    for composition: "The Gorge" (I like that the water is in the foreground and the rocks in the mid-ground, a bit different to the usual view)
    but overall: "Aqua Wave" (I like the subtle tones, particularly the wave, but I also think that the point at which you've caught the wave makes this compelling). It should look great printed.

Btw, is "Untitled Sunrise" a contradiction in terms?

Good luck with it...
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Golden Dawn for me followed by Aqua Wave!
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. So far, It looks like Aqua Wave by a little , Please keep the voting coming on which one to enter - Cheers Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aqua Wave for me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with the previous poster's. Aqua Wave printed on pearl would look stunning. I also like Golden Dawn, untitled sunrise & Sunrise. In Sunrise & Untitled Sunrise I would clone out the white line (?pipe) on the rocks RHS.
    Barbara

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wandapics_photography

K-x. Sigma 18-125mm 1:3.8 - 5.6 DC HSM, Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro, Sigma 100-300mm 1:4.5-6.7 DL. Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash,
    MZ-60. Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'd personally have to go with "Sunrise 2-7-11" and my 2nd choice would be the last one. Only slight problem in those could be the pesky... pipes, is it, in the rocks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like Aqua wave and the next one Bill. Nice wave action in both....and good luck with it.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys for your quick response , Got rid of those Pipes, But also had a win , The framing place is testing a new Print place , They are going to get the whole lot printed for Zilch !! Freebie BIG !! to test for detail in the printing , I shot off "Aqua Wave" to the guy that does "Fuji Pearl" Will be ready tomorrow for framing @ 20x16 inches $24
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg Ap.jpg (228.4 KB, 133 views)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Golden Dawn for me with aqua wave in second.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what is the theme??

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Quote : "Photographs will be evaluated by a judge with paricular reference to , Quality, technique, originality, and interpretation of the theme" These are for the Open category

Thanks Kassy , I was always leaning towards Aqua Wave , Should look good in Pearl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Bill. none of those seem to be in 8 x 10 format (16x20). except possibly the last.

Maybe crop to ratio or print in a different size. does it have to be 16 x 20. ? It doesn't suit these images.
    I dont think you understand that its the Matt Board that has to be 16 x20. The image size or ratio isnt being restricted.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    I dont think you understand that its the Matt Board that has to be 16 x20. The image size or ratio isnt being restricted.
    Thanks, Bill clarified that for me in a further post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast