User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To shoot or not to shoot...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess whilst you are still in the early stages of learning how to take good photographs it's important to shoot whenever possible as repetition leads to familiarity, but when you're heading out to take a specific photograph, in a specific light then of course it doesn't make sense to go out when the light is poor, in the same way that it doesn't make sense for an astronomy photographer to go out at noon. They will still probably get good photographs (maybe), but not of what they set out to capture...

I think the more experienced guys have also invested a lot in their equipment, so raising their camera's shutter count unnecessarily doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by 98kellrs; 25-07-2011 at 9:27am.
    Ryan

D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm ƒ/2.8 | Cullmann Tripod |Manfrotto 680B Monopod | Lowepro Flipside 400 AW | 2x Yungnuo 560 flash & wireless trigger| FleaBay Lightstand, umbrella and collapsible softbox
    My Flickr site
    RSK Photography - Perth based Motorsport Photography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xen, if lighting conditions are flat (low contrast) I would normally consider re composing and shooting for a black and white result.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely yes. A dark and cloudy sky can add drama which is not there when the weather is clear. As for exposure one thing is certain you won't have any blown out highlights! You have to think - think about composition and how best to use the conditions u have. The only time i would pack up is if its raining and my gear might be drenched or if its that windy the camera and tripod are at risk. Check this image out taken sat a.m very O'cast and cloudy.IMG_5697NS.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to reduce my shooting if the conditions don't do much for me. Take for instance a situation that cropped up in May. Storms generated, initially photogenic but then went HP (IE rain everywhere in the way) I took alot less shots than on a day where the storm was nice and visible. Slate grey skies will stop me going for bird photography, but if it happens to be a wedding shooting day then I am jumping with glee. I see alot of insipid shots and many of them come from situations where someone has tried to apply the usual pattern to the scene, rather than realising the difference and compensating with their shooting. So I can see Xenedis's point with I won't bother, because it won't fit the shot I am looking for, but also the missing of photographic opportunity. At the same time, if it completely compromises the potential for a decent photo I won't bother either (say appalling conditions which push a camera to the limit, or hostile to photographic endeavours). I guess it comes down to your quality control on your shots...If I don't see something worthwhile in a scene (either colour or black and white) I won't take a photo, regardless of the conditions, mainly because I know that it won't meet my standard and be deleted anyway.
    Last edited by Xebadir; 25-07-2011 at 12:57pm. Reason: Spelling Fail
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a little old motto which I think is applicable here - "you have to make the best of what you can with what you have"

A sign of good photography is one that can bring out a great image even though the conditions are not perfect. I mean, its a piece of cake to get a stunning picture of a stunning sunrise with perfect cloud and all teh trimmings, you could train a monkey to do that, However to get a great shot, (even just a good shot) on a day when conditions are less than ideal is a sign (imo) that you are progressing forward as a photographer. Imagine if you can capture stunning images irrespective of the conditions - that would then make the shots you take when the conditions are perfect absolutely stunning

Xenedis I hear your pain, I went out on saturday morning and was blown away by freezing winds and rain, but still persevered to get a few shots, it is discouraging when you get up early and are not rewarded with good conditions. There was some pretty crazy surf conditions tho.

Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasyphoto View Post
    Xen, if lighting conditions are flat (low contrast) I would normally consider re composing and shooting for a black and white result.
    The problem I face 99.99% of the time is the opposite: extremely high-contrast, plain skies that are either cloudless, or have a clump of very dark cloud stretching all along the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Corakimick View Post
    Absolutely yes. A dark and cloudy sky can add drama which is not there when the weather is clear.
    The dark and stormy, or cloud-covered and colourful is actually what I want. What I don't want is plain skies.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    I have a little old motto which I think is applicable here - "you have to make the best of what you can with what you have"
    All well and good, but not really applicable when it's a certain type of light and sky I seek.

I won't be sold a spanner if a hammer is what I need.

Xenedis I hear your pain, I went out on saturday morning and was blown away by freezing winds and rain, but still persevered to get a few shots, it is discouraging when you get up early and are not rewarded with good conditions. There was some pretty crazy surf conditions tho.
    I would have been quite happy to have been under the sky you witnessed on the weekend. Skies like that are useful, and the sort of thing I want.

To illustrate, these are the kinds of skies I want:

And these are the kinds of skies I don't want, but more often than not, get:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you would develop 'tunnel vision' and miss the opportunity to 'see' other compositions/lighting scene if you only continued shooting if the conditions were perfect - if it is for specific paid gig where the brief required certain conditions than by all means, no point wasting time and client money.

I have found the best thing about seascapes is the variability, you are not guaranteed a good shot and the conditions can change forcing you to look at different ideas and compositions, this means you get different shots and your gallery is not full of all the same - unless that is what you are looking for - and that is not necessarily a negative thing btw.

I would have been quite happy to have been under the sky you witnessed on the weekend. Skies like that are useful, and the sort of thing I want.
    nah, you would have got very wet

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 98kellrs View Post
    I guess whilst you are still in the early stages of learning how to take good photographs it's important to shoot whenever possible as repetition leads to familiarity, but when you're heading out to take a specific photograph, in a specific light then of course it doesn't make sense to go out when the light is poor, in the same way that it doesn't make sense for an astronomy photographer to go out at noon. They will still probably get good photographs (maybe), but not of what they set out to capture...

I think the more experienced guys have also invested a lot in their equipment, so raising their camera's shutter count unnecessarily doesn't make sense.
    You've made an important point which essentially addresses people's stage of photography.

When I was a beginner, I shot anything and everything, without regard for the light or conditions. I wasn't aware of the quality of light and the effect it has on images.

I suspect the above is true of most newcomers to photography.

As I shot my way through anything and everything at any time, I eventually found what I liked and ditched everything else. I also became more fussy about the light.

These days I've reached a point where the style and look of the image needs to meet certain criteria for me to be happy with it, and the lighting conditions either make it or break it. I'm just not the kind of person who'll settle for unfavourable conditions. Consequently, I shoot less, but my output is of a higher standard than it would be if I accepted whatever was thrown at me on the day. I'd rather come home with one or two 'wow' images than a card full of images that really don't mean a damn.

Fortunately, as a strictly hobbyist photographer, I have the luxury of declaring the prevailing conditions unacceptable and going home. Naturally I recognise that a commissioned photographer does not necessarily have that luxury.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you would develop 'tunnel vision' and miss the opportunity to 'see' other compositions/lighting scene if you only continued shooting if the conditions were perfect
    Ah, but I'm not after 'perfect' conditions; just a variety of great, interesting, pleasing conditions in which the sky contains colour, mood, drama, texture and quality light. Bad light is bad light, and most 'scape photographers avoid it for that reason.

I have found the best thing about seascapes is the variability, you are not guaranteed a good shot and the conditions can change
    I've shot a lot of seascapes in my time, and yep, the conditions are very variable. I've seen light go from intensely rich red to dull and flat in less than a minute.

nah, you would have got very wet
    I'm no stranger to that.

Remember the landscape photographer's motto: Pray for bad weather.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice photos but the x-man likes crap weather. It is what you probably call the "good" weather that really gets up him.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on you. I walk away now if there is nothing I can shoot - particularly if I know a lot about shooting that type of subject. If I'm a novice at that type of photography I will experiment. For example - I will walk away from fungi if the light isn't right. Why put all that effort in if I know the results will be worse than my best. On the other hand if it is surfing (which I know very little about), I'll give it a go - but I'll know next time. Why waste time?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    A plain eastern sky at dawn is a nightmare when it comes to exposure.
    Why don't you treat is as an opportunity to learn how to deal with the "nightmarish conditions" instead of knocking off?

I am willing and able to accept that some days just don't have the right conditions, and to simply not shoot rather than trying to turn nothing into something and settling for something that won't make me happy.
    To me, conditions may force me to reconsider what or how I shoot but it usually just gets the creative juices flowing. Not finding a new angle, a new take on things is more disappointing to me than getting home without that pre-thought image. It's not a question of "trying to turn nothing into something", in my mind there always is something out there. In the end, it's just a state of mind. YMMV
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    Why don't you treat is as an opportunity to learn how to deal with the "nightmarish conditions" instead of knocking off?
    Because I want a certain type of image, and if the light isn't right, it isn't right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to shoot as I am still coming to grips with the camera settings etc. I think it is good experience to see how different shots come out under different lighting and different settings. This may change as I gain more experience.
    Last edited by bmeikle; 25-07-2011 at 10:13pm.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a lot to learn about photography. One thing is, I believe, I have to learn when not to shoot...

Magic Morning at the Little Cove by peterb666, on Flickr

Maybe I just view the world differently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why? This is a perfectly good photo.

Perhaps, our expectations of the modern world is that everything should come neatly shrink-wrapped, wrinkle free, well glossed and just as ordered - with no imperfections tolerated.

This seems to pervade all of our thinking, even with our children - so, I guess photography is no different.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO a question not worth asking... got a hot date you are going to miss if you shoot? no? just shoot anyway, you are there... and hey its digital so it not costing you anything. you might even end up with a surprise or two

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    I have a lot to learn about photography. One thing is, I believe, I have to learn when not to shoot...

Magic Morning at the Little Cove by peterb666, on Flickr

Maybe I just view the world differently.
    what was the exposure length? I ask that cause that is all it has cost you... probably 30 seconds of your life. yeah its 30 secs you wont get back for sure but there you go.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    what was the exposure length? I ask that cause that is all it has cost you... probably 30 seconds of your life. yeah its 30 secs you wont get back for sure but there you go.
    Well not even that. All of 3 seconds for that shot.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the OP, I often set the time aside and end up shooting nothing (scene is not right, too many people). This is normally the case when I take my trimonthly trip to Esperance. I drive right out the the national park or north to the pink lake and things are not right to shoot or I have the wrong gear for what I do see is available.

At times I start experimenting with what is around with much slower shutter speeds, creating motion blurs, perhaps multiple exposures or finding something I can shoot fine details of. In a natural area there is always something to shoot if one can set their mind aside from their original intention.

Limiting oneself to just one thing will be a slow progress.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12