User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Anyone recomend Pentax K-x?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone recomend Pentax K-x?

hey everyone im getting my first DSLR soon and am wondering if anyone would recomend the Pentax K-x. I will be mostly taking photos of animals and other wildlife. Ive also got my eyes on this lens Pentax SMC DA L 55-300mm f4-5.8 ED Lens. any advice would be great cheers,
    Jordan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uses the similar sensors to nikon, seems to have good low light high iso performance, I am thinking about a k5 myself
    Oly e500 zd14-54 zd70-300
    35-70/4 70-210/4 (leftover from old camera )

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers man

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K-x is great entry level camera but a bit dated.

K-x < K-r <<< K-5

New or 2nd hand? Value for $ K-x is good. ~$600 with a 18-200 kit lens
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jorbaicoo - The K-X has been replaced quite some time back by the K-R. But if you want a new K-X they're still around - DCW in Sydney has the K-X for $609.00 with Sigma 18-50mm kit lens (with Sigma 17-70mm for $685.00 is a much better buy), and the K-R with Pentax old-series 18-55mm for $669.00.

If you can get a K-R, body only, deal - you can pick up the Pentax 18-55mm Series II near-new, from "reliable sellers" on Pentax forum for about US$80.00. I've seen the Series II WR there for not a lot more - about $120.00.

The K-R has uprated functions over K-X, different sensor, and if you're doing tripod work - and/or using Takumar-etc M42 lenses, or the K and M series manual lenses - the K-R LiveView is 3" and 960k dots - not 2.7" and 230k dots. Very much better for mag-up focusing.

I don't know where you can buy the Pentax 55-300mm L series lens new in Australia - it's a US/Canada only kit-lens. They appear on P-forum for about US$200-225.00, as-new. They're much less than that when included in the American kits - so they buy the kit with it, keep the 18-55mm, and sell-on the 55-300mm L-series to "discount" their camera, it seems.

The 55-300mm has the same optics as the DA / ED version - but doesn't come with a hood, or the Quick-Switch function. The L also has a plastic mount. The DA has a hood, Quick-Switch, and metal mount.

The DA/ED version sells on P-forum for about US$300-325.00 - recently an "unmarked, as-new" for $350.00.

If you'd prefer that lens with local 12-months Warranty - they're AUD$670.00 here.

As for the K-5 - very nice, but at AUD$1,569.00 - $1,749.00 with 18-55mm WR - that's just a wee bit pricey...

Well - it is, when you can get 95% of the abilities in an under 5000-actuations, unmarked, K-7 - for just under US$700.00 - about the price of a new K-R here - and rather a lot more camera, more functions, dual e-dials, and a lot more... Google some K-7 Reviews and compare with K-R - or download the Manual for each and compare.

If you're intending to use the film-era manual lenses, note that the K-7 (or K20D and current K-5) - uses the bright full pentaprism viewfinder - not the less bright pentamirror of the K-M, K-X, and K-R.

Regards, Dave.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    of thanks man for ur advice i think i actually like the K-r better now. Will look into it further. cheers mate