User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Moving to tasmania; what should we keep -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving to tasmania; what should we keep -

Raeann and I are moving to Hobart in the next few weeks: well she is anyway until I get a transfer with the APS.

Anyway, we got a quote or two to move ...$5,000 for a shipping container door to door that you have to pack yourself or not much less for backfill .. say what !!!

What have other people done; we are moving from Brisbane and have a three bedroom house full of stuff.. only about 20 percent of it roughly we must keep because a. It is new or quality furniture or b. sentimental. the rest we could sell here and replace down there.

What are other people's experience and advise about such a move ?

Ideas and suggestions welcome: we need to be gone before 8/9/2011.

CHEERS

david
    Last edited by David; 23-07-2011 at 11:21pm.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Tassie David and Raeann.

Hard to say what to keep, for me, I keep everything that has some sentimental value when I move. Everything else gets sold.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice place to be moving to David and Raeann, all I can say is keep everything that keeps you warm
    Last edited by gary; 23-07-2011 at 11:44pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep anything that you'd need to buy again within 3 years is my best advice after moving a similar distance previously
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread David, as I am in the stages of moving back to NSW, will be selling or giving away all furniture selling fridge and freezer and starting again in NSW. Only thing that will be packed are the collection of novels, computer and the TV and computer stuff. Good luck with the move
    C&C most welcome, please if reworks are made post what adjustments etc have been made so I can learn from them

Thanks

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the 2 Davids ought to compare notes - you may be able to swap.

Glad to hear it is finally happening for you David, I know you have wanted to go for a while. Any chance of attending a get together before you go? I do understand if you are just too busy, I'll see you in Tassie when I come to visit otherwise.

When Mum moved down there she took far too much stuff, and after 5 years a lot of it was still in the garage unused, both furniture and boxes of 'things'. Toss anything you have doubts on. There are very good recycle shops down there, I have seen really nice furniture, clothes, furnishings etc in various OP shops round Hobart on my visits.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, for when you both get here!

Does the 20% you want to keep need a shipping container - have you got a trailer and wagon or similar that you could drive down when you get a transfer yourself?

If APS is the Commonwealth public server or Aus Protective Service, I'm almost positive they'll provide assistance for relocation. If Raeann is similarly employed there's probably the same option. I know with the Tas public service much is covered, and only defined as 'reasonable' and to be approved by a manager. (And you wouldn't believe the costs of some of the relocations I've arranged reimbursement of!)

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thoughts and feedback guys: Raeann is keen to get down there and get going so I may have to stay in qld until the Commonwealth Department I work for or another agency get me a transfer down there but Raeann will be going down ahead of me at the end of August at the latest. We have decided to keep about 20% and sell, donate, ditch the rest of it because the cost is prohibitive and we can not be sure our 'stuff' is going to fit/work in the house we buy down there either: I will be here I suspect to the end of September at least so yes a few tog meets and see ya later meetups are on the cards. Have asked for quotes to backfil our 20% and waiting on the results now. THANKS everyone for your thoughts and best wishes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your move to Tasmania David. I know a lot of Qld AP'ers will miss you at their meets, but the Tassie element will benefit.

Keep the sentimental stuff, the rest can be replaced.

Good luck to you and Raeann with your relocation, and happy snapping in your new state.

Di & Wayne
    D300s and D60. Nikkor 35mm 1.8 & 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm; Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6; Tamron 90mm, Elements 8
    ...........................................................................................C&C is always welcome......................................................................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my wife and i move march last year from cairns, we used grace removalist it cost just over 5500, they packed the containter and unpacked it and insurance.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got a quote for 2.5 K with most of the stuff we want to keep on the list. Now all we have to do is hurry up and wait for the day - oh yeah and find me somewhere to live till I manage a transfer to Tas with my Australian Public Service job: that could take months, literally. ...LIFE IS WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU WHILE YOUR MAKING OTHER PLANS..John Lennon