Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Begginers what have you learnt so far

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Begginers what have you learnt so far

I thought I would make this post for Beginners who are learning to talk about what they have learnt so far either from the forum books videos or where ever how ever you learnt it. And we can all learn from each other for intermediate and advance or professionals if you could also come by and tell us what you have learnt as well as I am sure with photography its like anything else you never stop learning something new IE: a new way of doing something a new tip or technique you may have not thought of doing share with us.

(A quick message to Mods) if this is in the wrong place or not allowed please just move or remove it.

I have learnt that putting all your fstops ISOs and shutter speed together just the right amount is more important than I ever thought it would
    All experts were once beginners

Nikon D3100 18 55 kit lens Nikon 35 mm Nikon 70 300mm optex tripod

MWAH! Sandy

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good to see you are learning about the exposure triangle Sandy (the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture).

After that, I reckon the best thing I have learnt and developed for myself, is having an eye for composition. A well composed photo is the next best thing after a well exposed one. Learning about composition rules (guides) is very worthwhile, and a photo that is both well exposed and well composed, is a winner.
    Last edited by ricktas; 23-07-2011 at 8:49am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am learning what i don't know, which is heaps
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

The most important thing I feel I have learned thus far is how to use my histogram. I have been able to stay in Manual mode for some time now. Using the histogram has also helped me learn a bit more about the different shutter speeds and when to lower/increase them. It's been a great feeling knowing that I will never use the AUTO mode again

Cheers,
    Carrie

Nikon D7000, AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1.8G, AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5-5.6G, AF-S Nikkor 10-24mm 3.5-4.5G ED , Tokina AT-X Pro Macro 100mm F 2.8 D lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I learnt was the exposure triangle and, that there is NO ideal exposure

The second, and most important, things was... this is a bloody expensive hobby
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes Carrie the histogram I have just starting to learn that but I don't take it as face value yet mostly because I feel there is more to it then I just nice mountains in the center but one thing in every thing I have read say's the same thing if its pushed over to the left its under exposed if its pushed to the right its over exposed I have also read that if the histogram is mostly to the center its right but also get CC saying that its not right there is something wrong so even though I look at the histogram I was not going to I think I even said that in a post some place but It still gives me a bit of an idea but that is why CC is so important to me as I am not 100% sure if the histogram is 100% right all of the time so still trying to learn it and understand it.

Yes Mudman so much to learn and I don't thing you can stop learning as there is always new gear and new ideas about to keep us all going

Yes Scotty you got that right my saving's account loves - hates me

keep coming back and share information and gain information about what you have learnt even if it seems like a basic thing I get excited when I either read hear or see something that has that oh factor

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml : probably the easiest to understand article on histograms. Well worth the read

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick I have booked marked it for now time to get of computer to watch a little telly and snuggle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with all the above. Well i am a newbie to this website but in the few short months I have learnt that I shouldn't be afraid of using the manual functions. I have been amazed at what I have learnt from this website and that is just from lots of reading and praticing. But still have a long way to go. Also I get so inspired seeing the wonderful and creative photos that other members come up which has inspired me to try out different techniques. If only I had more time.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes juanny I had no idea what was involved I also had no idea how much fun it would be well I guess I new it would be fun because I always loved taking photos but getting my DSLR was either going to be a nightmare or a dream come true I love learning I take little baby steps because I almost gave up because I was trying to learn to much at a time right now for me I am learning to understand more about fstops and ISO numbers and putting that together then I ll worry about getting the right speed putting all them together but I love it its a passion of mine and been out of action right now is almost a crime within it self but always come back often and share with us each time you learn something new I am also hoping that from time to time somebody that has more knowledge then me can drop by and not only share with us but help us and making sure we are getting the right information its too easy to pick up wrong information and having it corrected will also be a benefit to us. Keep us updated what you have learnt you may not learn something new everyday but from time to time you will and so will I happy snapping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've learnt that being polite and respectful to others will often result in more photographic opportunities, and that sometimes putting the camera down and taking the time to talk to the people around you will greatly enhance your understanding of the subject, and ultimately improve the quality of your images much more than going in 'gung-ho' with tunnel vision.
    Last edited by 98kellrs; 24-07-2011 at 4:22pm.
    Ryan

D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm Æ’/2.8 | Cullmann Tripod |Manfrotto 680B Monopod | Lowepro Flipside 400 AW | 2x Yungnuo 560 flash & wireless trigger| FleaBay Lightstand, umbrella and collapsible softbox
    My Flickr site
    RSK Photography - Perth based Motorsport Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have learnt that there aren't enough hours in the day! I have learned a lot (a course mostly).... And sitting on the laptop and reading info on photography is a time consuming process which my kids don't appreciate!!! I've learned that you can have so much control with how you get your camera to see what you see..... You have to put everything together....think, but not over think.... And most of all just enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - I wonder what the kids are up to....Better go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have learned that I have OCD when it comes to photography, My other hobbies and family have all become photographic opportunities.
    At the moment im messing around with white balance, and trying hard to find the best settings to get the most of my kit lenses while I save for an upgrade.
    I have learnt bucket loads from the wonderful folks here, and I have just found a very useful ebook The Digital Workflow Handbook by Juergen Gulbins, Uwe Steinmueller, which I'm finding to be a great help for all my PP work

Cheers Dan
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares, Youre a mile away and have his shoes!!" Billy Conelly

Eos 550D Sigma 17-50 2.8 EX DC OS HSM, 55-250mm IS, Nifty 50 and training wheels

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 98kellrs View Post
    I've learnt that being polite and respectful to others will often result in more photographic opportunities, and that sometimes putting the camera down and taking the time to talk to the people around you will greatly enhance your understanding of the subject, and ultimately improve the quality of your images much more than going in 'gung-ho' with tunnel vision.
    Ryan this is really good lesson you have learnt as its way to easy to get caught up with just snappy happy away and not take the time to talk or maybe in my case look as I am not into taking photos of peeps right now but love landscapes farms and nature so for me this I will take it as sit back take in the scenery see it all that is around to take the time to walk around with my eyes open this is a very good lesson you have learnt and now have shared with us this is not something that I expected from making this post but its great no its wonderful its something we all should hear and thank you for sharing what a great and important piece of information you have shared and just goes to show us that photography is not all about f/stops shutter speeds and ISO carry this information for ever I know I will thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Yules View Post
    I have learnt that there aren't enough hours in the day! I have learned a lot (a course mostly).... And sitting on the laptop and reading info on photography is a time consuming process which my kids don't appreciate!!! I've learned that you can have so much control with how you get your camera to see what you see..... You have to put everything together....think, but not over think.... And most of all just enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - I wonder what the kids are up to....Better go!
    This is so true I congratulate you, you have a young family by the sounds of things that is part of my reason why I ended up waiting so much longer then I had hoped to now my children are grown up and moved on with there life's its time for me to move on with mine as well. although I complain a tad of not been able to afford the gear in my early 20s when the passion first hit me to not doing it after I had a family I praise you and people like you for raising kids and taking some time for yourself I know as a mother of 5 how hard it would have been for me good for you and thank you for adding your information of what you have learnt

Quote Originally Posted by AnzacPride View Post
    I have learned that I have OCD when it comes to photography, My other hobbies and family have all become photographic opportunities.
    At the moment im messing around with white balance, and trying hard to find the best settings to get the most of my kit lenses while I save for an upgrade.
    I have learnt bucket loads from the wonderful folks here, and I have just found a very useful ebook The Digital Workflow Handbook by Juergen Gulbins, Uwe Steinmueller, which I'm finding to be a great help for all my PP work

Cheers Dan
    Hello Dan I will adventure into the world of white balance and yes learning the pp is important and once when you learn it you will surprise your self how much things have chanced for you. I my self have been playing with pp work for years now but it was more the manipulation side of things it now has become so much important to me learning to do it right and get it right and learning is always great.

we are here to learn and yes the people in AP are a great lot very helpful and so kind information comes from all over but to have so much in the one spot its a gift to treasure that is for sure. keep coming back and reading what others have learnt sharing the information that you have will also help others I can only hope that the help I have received will one day mean that I can help somebody that is new to photography in return but that is a long time away for me yet but it will come when somebody just like us will want to know something and we will be able to be part of helping them out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all! really informative!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That you never stop learning
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    That you never stop learning
    good to hear from you and I was hoping you would say that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's true, never go a day without learning something about photography, which is just as well, as forget something a day too

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's true, never go a day without learning something about photography, which is just as well, as forget something a day too
    I like the way you think and I like this I was hoping somebody would say that as I did not want to get as good as you to find out there was nothing more to learn

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a wonderful time here on AP & elsewhere, Learning & meeting other togs & sharing experiences.
    Six months ago I had not much knowledge about photography (some will say I still don't) except to point & shoot & hope. Now I dial, point & shoot & cry
    No, seriously the most benefit I have got here is learning the lingo of photography. It was such a foreign language a few months ago & I still have a long way to go yet, but learning the lingo & what it all means & relates to everything else has been a battle for me. I am coming to terms with the cam & now struggling to learn the lingo of PP but I am slowly getting there.
    I have had some wonderful help here & other sites & have some wonderful 'friends' here & overseas. The net is such a wonderful tool & community. All the help & encouragement from all corners of the globe, that you could not get from sitting on a park bench or in a library. Chatting & sharing your niche genre with a one in a billion person somewhere out there is just fantastic
    Yes, thanks for all your helps, even reading the posts anonymously has been a education & picking up the lingo & getting a feel for the comfort zone of what & where I am in photography. Yes I have forgotten a lot but learnt heaps & relearning again. Good excuse to get out of bed in the morning, even if not too early, but then someone has to be on watch late when all is quiet
    Thanks gang
    Col

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast