Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $30 Instant verification stinks

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Of course you can, I refuse to use the instant verification.
    Thanks for clearing that up Rick, Now its my turn to hold up the Q
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked in a bank for 5 years

I tend to trust my suppliers until I have reason not to
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We use cash for anything under about $500.
    If instant verification gets me through the check-out fast, I'm all for it.
    On the other hand, around here we tend to smile and talk to each other if we have to stand in line.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its hard enough now keeping track of transactions and balances with one card let alone combining them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a first year uni student (way back when), I worked at the back office processing centre of one of the big 4. Part of my job was to process cheques. As I remember, I wasn't to even check anything under $2000 (so Rick's number of $10,000 in today's money makes sense).

I have also insisted to use a PIN at a Macca's drive through for the same reason as Rick - if I know what I did and didn't do - unless the bank can prove a PIN was entered then, it wasn't me. I don't want to get into the habit of swiping my credit card without having to at least think about it.

As for having 1 smart card for every aspect of my life. I have twice been the victim of card skimming so, I enjoy the fact I have several different cards (with small limits) with different PINs. I can't imagine if my entire life fell into the hands of a skimmer; much damage could be done.

In ye olden days, if someone wanted to rob you of your cards, they had to mug you - now they can do it via the net and you may not know you've been fleeced for weeks.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pipe View Post
    Was that internet related Scotty
    No, the police couldn't tell me that much but, it seems that a store clerk used some privileged info.

Fortunately, it seems s/he was an idiot and quickly got caught and confessed.

A similar thing happened to my wife - but this time, she swiped her Mastercard at a petrol station where a worker was in on a EFTPOS terminal switcheroo. Again, dumb criminal caught himself by using the new fake card at his own workplace (to put petrol in his own car).

So, imagine if one smart card accessed banks, health, licence info etc. and some smart criminal got that PIN.

Scotty

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123