User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  22

View Poll Results: should we 'ban' negative comments about other photography forums?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 45.10%
  • No

18 35.29%
  • Maybe

10 19.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Site Rules: re other photography forums

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Site Rules: re other photography forums

Recently, there have been several threads on some of the other photography (photography interest) Australian forums, where members are bagging the other forums, for various reasons.

The overall view I get, and others who have pointed them out to me, or discussed them with me, is that it looks bad. Seeing a heap of members being negative about another forum, often with only one-sided views. In my view nothing good can come of these.

In a global sense, Australia is a small place and the photographically interested people are often members of more than one forum. The photography forums are all unique, but at the same time often have similar concepts in competitions, member interactions, forum titles, topics etc.

Should we have a 'no negative discussion about other photography forums' rule on AP?

AP in general is not a place to whinge, as we like to promote a positive place for members to share their photography. So should we have a rule against posts/threads that denigrate other photography forums?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick, I beleive we should so voted yes. In my experience any negitive threads like this generally end up reflecting badly for a forum. I see the forum as a community and bagging on another forum is like bagging on a community group within the community. Lets not have that seed of negitivity creep into AP, there is so much more to this site than tht and to be honest, I think the stringent rules around forum usage is what makes this site the one of the best I have ever been on. Hence, been a member over 2 yrs now and going strong. Other sites I have joined I don't even know my account anymore.
    Well, my thoughts anyhows.
    Last edited by mikew09; 21-07-2011 at 6:41am.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciated

http://mikeathome.fotomerchant.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L 4 USM, , 24-105 L 5 IS USM, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about banning something that isn't yet a problem. I haven't noticed a lot of posts bagging other forums.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's my thoughts too Mike, that we don't need it here. But as always, I try and get members views and will go with what the members want.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Not sure about banning something that isn't yet a problem. I haven't noticed a lot of posts bagging other forums.
    No it isn't, but looking at some recent threads elsewhere that I have seen or been sent links to, makes me wonder if that sort of thread/post will become something we will have to deal with here on AP. Better to have an understanding of what the members here want, now, than try to deal with it if it blows up. Just trying to be proactive and get an idea of what AP members want in relation to this.

On one site, the thread started as a 'what brings you to this site' question and starts of very nicely with comments about why people like that site, but then it deviates to 'i like it here cause its better than xxxx, cause they did yyyy" and on it goes. In the end, after several pages, it fairly much bags out all the other forums, by various members comments. It's not a good read, and I think, ultimately denigrates the forum it is posted on. Any new members who join and read it would just think, what a bunch of whinging members we have on this site.
    Last edited by ricktas; 21-07-2011 at 6:47am.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are social standards, defined and commonsense that communities, online or physical, need to
    respect.

There is healthy debate and passionate expression of views and occasionally, we need to vent, but
    outright ragging serves no purpose in any community.

In simple terms, it's just a bad look overall. Ever go to a party and see a group of people
    closed off from the rest of the party, looking around at others and criticising? It looks and is equally
    tres uncool in the online space.

Here's a quote:

'A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living'.

Fuji Fanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's reasonable to say You did not like another forum or just say it didn't appeal to you - but making denigrating remarks should be banned. If you had technical problems - slow to load, couldn't see pics etc I think it's OK to mention that type of thing, but not to make pointed remarks about the quality of criticism or that people there didn't like you etc. Maybe some guidelines in the intro section?
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Regular Tommo1965's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think naming other forums that aren't to a poster taste may be bad form...but expressing a opinion that "other" forums aren't up to the mark is OK....so I voted no..but with reservations ...to be honest I dont want to see too many Negative threads about anything..not because I live in a fools paradise....but im here to see images..post mine..give CC and learn.....my missus gives me enough action in the whinging department..so I dont want it when I come on AP
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 21-07-2011 at 7:21am.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forums vary. Different ethos and philosophies.
    I don't care about the rest when we have the best

Seriously, some personalities don't work on some fora. I don't think we should really care less, people will find what suits them.

It is extremely rare to comment on or even link another forum (other than some brand specific ones).
    We already have a no cross promotion rule.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see no benefit in discussing other forums at all
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes a not ideal experience (or a perceived one) somewhere might induce a person to generalise and rant, and even denigrate. I think the generalisation is the weak point. If one could say "I went to this site and this happened..." then others might get something useful out of that person's experience, or perhaps correct it with some of their own.

I don't know about a blanket ban, as it has the potential to stifle even valid points (warnings, even). I voted "maybe", but I tend more towards no ban.
    (+2c)
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post

On one site, the thread started as a 'what brings you to this site' question and starts of very nicely with comments about why people like that site, but then it deviates to 'i like it here cause its better than xxxx, cause they did yyyy" and on it goes. In the end, after several pages, it fairly much bags out all the other forums, by various members comments. It's not a good read, and I think, ultimately denigrates the forum it is posted on. Any new members who join and read it would just think, what a bunch of whinging members we have on this site.
    I completely agree with banning if it gets to that stage. But in the meantime do the mods not already keep a firm rein on posts that denigrate any other individual or group? So keep discussion as free as possible as long as people aren't abusing the privilege?

I'm not too bothered either way, just a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kym View Post
    forums vary. Different ethos and philosophies.
    I don't care about the rest when we have the best :d
    here here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Predictably I'm not in favour of specific bans on most things because I think this leads to the sort of rule bound environment where open and free discussion becomes problematic. We certainly need rules, but if we descend to the level of banning every specific item that may or may not be a problem then we'll end up with a complex, unwieldy and disproportionate legal system where every possible controversy is detailed in minute detail.

There are more fundamental blanket rules of common sense that should be applied instead, because it isn't practicable to anticipate the plethora of different objectionable things we may encounter in our interaction with each other. Perhaps there may be times when it is relevant to comment about another site, and that comment might be useful in some way. Not all negative comment is unwarranted, and if the observation is appropriate then both positive and negative comments have a legitimate place in mature dialogue. If the comment becomes objectionable then it would fall under the one overriding rule which should be to treat each other with respect and common courtesy.

can't remember
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ My thoughts exactly. Very well put.

Sir Rattus79 - The Proclaimant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In any business, it is truly bad form to bad mouth the competition.

How is this any different?
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i voted no to the ban... as long as this site and its owner isnt liable for the comments made.

generally i like the freedom of speech we have here. I tend to not bother reading someones gripes about other forums tho. If you dont like the other forum, dont visit. sheesh!

Photographer Extraordinaire jgknight's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't think it is a problem that I have seen here. I am a member of a few forums but this is the one I visit every day without fail. This forum has a nice feel about it.

If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot say I've seen any bagging of anything here (apart from Nikon, but that's understandable, justifiable and deserved), but my view is that bagging other people or forums is not a nice thing to do, and in some cases can land a person in legal hot water.

People need to be aware that defamation laws still apply, so depending upon what an AP member says, (s)he could be inviting legal retribution.

There are right ways of expressing feelings, and wrong ways.

If someone expresses a dislike of something in such a manner as to convey it as a personal opinion, along with that person's rationale, then that's far less damaging than stating something like "Forum Blah totally sucks and is full of obnoxious morons".

However, in the context of AP being a photography forum, it doesn't seem right to me if people sledge other photography forums here. In what context such discussion would have a place escapes me.

My view is that any threads or posts in which other photography forums are discussed should be assessed on a case-by-case basis to determine if they're simply bad form at one end of the scale, or libelous at the other end of the scale.

Behaviour tends to have a spectrum of acceptability, and if that behaviour steps into the unacceptable part of the spectrum, it should be handled appropriately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding defamation damages need to be shown. Not sure how this could apply. I'm not. Lawyer though.

Rather than a site rule just whack it when/if it happens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast