During an entirely sleepless night last night, I came up with the idea of compiling a cheat sheet for determining the correct shutter speed to use after applying ND filters of varying strengths.

Quite simply, it is a table which lists, in third-stop intervals, every unfiltered shutter speed from 1/8000th to 30 seconds, and the corresponding shutter speeds to use after reducing light intake from a range of one to six stops via the use of one or more ND filters.

This may come in handy for landscape photographers, and will save a bit of mental arithmetic when chasing the light in the pursuit of images.

My ND Filter Shutter Speed Cheat Sheet can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.xenedis.net/ndshutterspeeds.pdf

I recommend that photographers print the cheat sheet and carry it in their camera bags to serve as a quick reference whenever it's necessary to determine the correct shutter speed to use after, say, stacking two ND8 filters in front of the lens.

If I've made any glaring mathematical errors, please let me know so I can update the document.

I hope you find it useful.