13 25.00%
  • I can't be bothered

10 19.23%
  • I don't take pictures

4 7.69%
  • I don't want to share

0 0%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Why don't you post any (more) pictures ?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that there are people involved in that that are no longer as obviously active in the general forum to it's detriment
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry I haven't read the whole thread..I saw it this morning before work and it had only had a few replies..now I see its up around the five pages worth ..so I will read everyone's comment when I have time.

Kiwi
    One of the reasons Im now using AP is because people do post images a couple of other sites I use have become Gear/moaning about their gear forums...Ap was a breath of fresh air and when I posted my first images here I was amazed at the quick feedback I got...its like being in a photography club..but not having to go out the door to meets ..LOL

As people have taken their time to view my images and give me much needed feedback { im always grateful for it} ...Im trying in my turn to view as many pictures thread as I can ..to offer the same service I've been privy too ..

My only reservation is the amount of traffic AP gets..quite often wadding through pages and pages of overnight posts is difficult..

one thing I have noticed in the short Time Ive been posting here is. if you take the time.others will for you too
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 20-07-2011 at 8:56pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patagonia View Post
    Ricktas, can you make an historical statistic to see evolution of replies in the cc forums? are we receiving more or less than one or two years ago for example...
    Not really, I could do some stats on the average number of replies to threads etc, but a thread could have 10 replies all saying 'nice photo'. Without opening every thread and reading it and seeing if the reply constituted good critique or just general comment, it would be impossible to get a good feel of how much constructive critique was done, just from statistics. There are 54000 threads on the site and I am not about to try and read each one (again).
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I think the 365 and 52 whatever threads are problems in their own right, those that post or do those I think are taking away from the rest of the forum in a way
    There are people who only ever post to the Birds forum Darren. Are they taking away from the rest of the AP?

Have you actually looked at people's 365 and 52 threads? There's an amazing variety of images to be seen. People are practicing and experimenting, providing and receiving feedback, and sharing their knowledge and techniques. Isn't that what AP is about?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By definition, yes
    Yes, but to the Detriment of those pictures home threads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do realise that you're being a bit contradictory here Darren? You're concerned that people don't post enough photos on the forum, yet you consider the regular daily/weekly posting of 365 and 52 photos to be detrimental to the forum?!!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yip, I do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can just upload directly to AP

Even if you post to flickr etc it's just s matter if copy and pasting an URL link, that's not hard is it ?
    I was under the understanding that you had to link through an external site, now that i know we dont i will try direct uploading.
    and no it not to hard its just an extra step as i dont realy put up my shots other than to post on here or if some one wants to look at some of my footy shots
    Canon 6d, 7d , 40d, 100-400L, 24-105Lmm, 50mm 1.8, 28-135 and a sigma 18-200
    Aquatech underwater housing
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilpoulton/

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neil70 View Post
    I was under the understanding that you had to link through an external site, now that i know we dont
    You can use either method.

Personally, I don't upload my images to AP; they're already published on my gallery elsewhere and I have no desire to publish the same image in multiple places; I just display them in-line here and link back to the image page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yip, I do
    Do you also realise that, whether intentional or not, you are implying the 365/52 threads are of lesser value than those in other forums? To be fair, I've seen that sentiment expressed several times on AP by others as well, so it's not just you. However, that attitude can be quite hurtful to the many dedicated people who post in those forums and suggests some kind of forum hierarchy which I do not believe exists in AP.

I've been inspired by images and inspired by the improvements I've seen other shooters make in their photography as a result of those projects. I think that's something to be applauded, not dismissed.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not dismissing it, and I'm sure that those participating and following are enjoying it, I never suggested otherwise. My point is those doing so aren't participating in my opinion as actively in the rest of the forum, to it's detriment.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not dismissing it, and I'm sure that those participating and following are enjoying it, I never suggested otherwise. My point is those doing so aren't participating in my opinion as actively in the rest of the forum, to it's detriment.
    Interesting.

I know several people who have 52/2011 threads, and they actively post in genre-specific sections of the forum.

If people are contributing to AP in a positive way, does it matter where?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined this forum because of the CC that members were giving each other. I thought I could learn a lot from it.
    I was an absolute beginner, and at first scared to give CC in case I was wrong, which I was on several occasions. And in a way I was getting CC on my CC, which is all a part of learning.
    Also I had read on the forum that a members should give 3-5 CC's per image posted. And I have tried to stick to that as much as I can.
    I'm not a text book person. So everything I've learnt about photography, I've learnt from here.
    And yes, sometimes I wont get any CC on some of my images. And I do get a bit upset. But I just get back on my bike and keep going. I'm not going to learn anything by chucking a tantrum.

I tend not to give CC on birds or macro. Simply because I wouldn't know the difference between a sparrow or a finch, and I'm not a bug fan. But if there isn't many of the other genre to give CC on, I'll have a look.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Interesting.

I know several people who have 52/2011 threads, and they actively post in genre-specific sections of the forum.

If people are contributing to AP in a positive way, does it matter where?
    As long as this occurs, no.

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice shot comments are better than zippo.
    Just saying "Nice shot" or "Great capture" is pretty meaningless unless you say why it's a nice shot. The idea of CC is exactly that. Saying something about the picture that you like in more terms than just "Great capture" is far more meaningful than something that just indicates that you took a good picture. When you put up a pic for CC, the intention is that you want to learn how to improve or what you did wrong. A comment such as "Nice shot" tells you nothing and I often wonder sometimes if the person making the 2 word critique were just too lazy to make a real, worthwhile critique that is truly informative. I'd rather zippo than just a "Nice shot" or "Great capture".

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I agree that nice shot isn't useful, I think I'd prefer 20 nice shot comments rather than nothing

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting quote from a professional landscape photographer, Gary King who lives in Cornwall, England:

"A while ago, I joined various photography social networking sites in an attempt to recieve critique of my work and also gain tips from the experiences of other established photographers. I soon became drawn into this world. I began to feel that my work was suffering as a consequence of 'feeding the beast', just so I could recieve lots of hits, ratings and comments on my images.

I needed a reality check and questioned my reasons for making images in general. I learned very quickly that not all images that have taken time, skill, consideration of composition and perhaps an element of luck where the weather was concerned, always recieve the critique you deserve or, perhaps, anticipate. My experience has taught me to to always make the image that you want, one that you have a connection with, not what you feel you have to take to please others, unless you are commissioned to do so of course."

The reason why I don't post a lot of pictures on here is based on much of what I just quoted. I want to take pictures in my own style and not take pictures just to please others. My primary purpose in posting is to get feedback about what I'm doing wrong or how to improve on what I did right. In this way, I see the site as more of a tool that I can use as guidance and I would post more often if I knew that I was going to get decent, constructive critique rather than getting "Nice shot" or "Great capture" comments. Perhaps CC should be reserved for just a panel of the most experienced members of the site rather than all and sundry and then more photos might be posted by other members who want to learn the art of photography and not concentrate too much on the social side of things until they gain a bit more experience. What do you think?
    Last edited by ApolloLXII; 21-07-2011 at 8:52am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well personally, if people are contributing photos, I'm not going to be picky about where they post them.

And I really believe that AP is managing just fine. As I said before, it's all swings-and-roundabouts and overall, I think we're doing OK.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The One thing two days challenge has lost a regular participant and I put that down to being too busy with their 52/2011 thread.
    No offense meant to that member either, I am just agreeing with Darren.
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Well personally, if people are contributing photos, I'm not going to be picky about where they post them.

And I really believe that AP is managing just fine. As I said before, it's all swings-and-roundabouts and overall, I think we're doing OK.
    I agree, no problem in general, but there are lots of members who dont post pics

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast