13 25.00%
  • I can't be bothered

10 19.23%
  • I don't take pictures

4 7.69%
  • I don't want to share

0 0%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't you post any (more) pictures ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I'm probably not the best person to ask this question of, as I'm finding it hard enough to post words between work commitments, let alone pikkies, but here goes.

I don't post pikkies that often because my main motivation in taking photos is to gain enjoyment from the hobby. Hence, I only tend to post a pikkie if I think it's something out of the ordinary, or asking why it sucks so much (although I'd usually just delete in the latter case...). I don't otherwise feel the urge or obligation to share my photos: it's not that I don't want to share, it's just not a motivating factor.

Oh dear, I take photos but don't share that much. I don't think I'm going to burn in photography hell as a result, though - I share and contribute ideas and information when I can. Words have value too.

Regards,
    Calx

PS - I don't critique other's pikkies very much because I don't think I'm a good critic.
    Last edited by Calxoddity; 20-07-2011 at 12:18pm.
    Calxoddity
    Concert Pianist, Test Pilot, Pathological Liar

Nikon D40, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 HSM, Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.8
    Post Processing: Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where does lack of inspiration goes, mint sauce?...haven´t posted a photo for at least 3 month and that´s the only reason, I even took around 700 photos on my recent trip to some US national parks but I shot only because I was there (as in "automatic" but me, not the camera) and each time I open ViewNX to select and make some PP to the photos I end up surfing the web...

...did I mentioned I finished with my girlfriend 3 month ago?...think I need a new muse...

regards
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me based on this that people aren't posting pictures because they don't in general think that the wider AP community is neither interested in the pictures or even if they are not interested in providing their opinion because somehow they think that their opinion is somehow nit useful because of their own relative experience

I'd like to openly state both of those reasons are utter tripe

I for one want to see a wide variety of photos, good bad and indifferent and value everyone's opinion whether it be technical, critique, a personal opinion whether they are better than me, just starting out or those that I dont agree with - EVERY one has an opinion about everything, that's what your senses and brain is for isn't it
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm... to be honest i post photos if i take them... I havent taken many lately.

...and thats about it.

oh and with regards to C&C, I'll take what i can get. "nice shot" is preferable to nothing as kiwi stated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ricktas, can you make an historical statistic to see evolution of replies in the cc forums? are we receiving more or less than one or two years ago for example...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance. If I answer a thread with, Nice pic or great capture I would not expect a reply. But if I have gone to a lot of trouble to answer a question and get no response, which has happened, and not even a thank you
    Call me bitter if you like, but I have never replied to and most of the time skip past that members threads
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I for one want to see a wide variety of photos, good bad and indifferent and value everyone's opinion whether it be technical, critique, a personal opinion whether they are better than me, just starting out or those that I dont agree with - EVERY one has an opinion about everything, that's what your senses and brain is for isn't it
    I agree with this Darren I love looking around OPs photos as you know I am learning right now and I do take in the CC I receive try it works did not work what can it hurt to try. However I feel (and I could be wrong) that it would be nice to see more exif data especially on those posted by more advance photographers not so much because they need to the CC or not but for us learners I think maybe we could go and try using similar or the same or close to the data given by those that have a lot more experience I for one would see this and use the settings or as close to the settings even though other equipment maybe be different I could see well this person is experience and this is the data used even if say the flower/building/land/seascape might be different it just might be of some help giving us a starting point. I just notice that some of the more experience people don't seem to put up there exif data
    All experts were once beginners

Nikon D3100 18 55 kit lens Nikon 35 mm Nikon 70 300mm optex tripod

MWAH! Sandy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I would be lambasted for posting lots of photos lots

I have stopped as my last two photo posts recieve 1 reply total

But as of today I shall post more photos
    Cartel Imagery
    Flickr

Nikon D7000
    Sony a65
    Canon 5D MKII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I post images to share and look for improvement and I get some responses. But not to much. I would welcome hard core reply's and that's what I look for myself. So I'm content to show what I have. (I could share more) I feel there should be a balance.

Also, you do get a lot of window shopper's and I'm one of them. I'm not to good a critiquing. Maybe that's why people swing by and keep moving knowing I could do the same to them.
    Jase

Comments and critique always welcome.

Flickr

Stuff Canon 5D MK II, Canon 30d, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100mm Macro, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 17-70mm

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I'm more likely to comment on someone's pictures if they comment on mine

I also get pipped if I do a lengthy critique (unlikely as that is) and there's no acknowledgment (there is after all a thanks button)

I'm also far more likely to help posters who post pics and ask for help rather than the posters who continue to post "I'm doing a family shoot in september and don't know what lens to use".... Because that's the lazy way out and more often than not its not useful. Hardest but best way to learn is by doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrDooba View Post
    I never said I was "good". And if you knew me(which you don't) you would know that I would never say(or even think) I was good at anything.
    All I said was I take my bird photography very seriously.
    "I don't post many photos anymore because I receive very little criticism. (that was the whole reason for me posting)"

Hmmm........

Regards
    Bodies : Canon 450D, Canon 7D
    Lenses : Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100mm F2.8 Makro USM, Canon 24-70 L F2.8 USM, Canon 70-200 L F4, Canon 100-400 L F4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Editing : Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love photography and post my better photos regularly

However what I am realizing is that even although I think my photos are great I still have a lot to learn.

As such I think that one should post your pictures and take any critique with a smile as it is a great way to learn

Ricktas thanks for a great site.

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 20-07-2011 at 2:35pm. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Personally I'm more likely to comment on someone's pictures if they comment on mine

I also get pipped if I do a lengthy critique (unlikely as that is) and there's no acknowledgment (there is after all a thanks button)

I'm also far more likely to help posters who post pics and ask for help rather than the posters who continue to post "I'm doing a family shoot in september and don't know what lens to use".... Because that's the lazy way out and more often than not its not useful. Hardest but best way to learn is by doing.
    I don't think Ive seen very much of yours Darren maybe I look at the wrong place or the wrong time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't post many photos. I would do more if it was a simple exercise of just uploading your shots to one site rather than going through another. I understand why it is that we post through another site. I know its just me being lazy but that is why.
    I enjoy giving and receiving cc's on who ever and sometimes "wow grate shot" is all a photo needs. Other times more in depth advice is needed.
    Canon 6d, 7d , 40d, 100-400L, 24-105Lmm, 50mm 1.8, 28-135 and a sigma 18-200
    Aquatech underwater housing
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilpoulton/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yip, this time of year it's sport and more sport and I post plenty of that. I don't do much else until summer

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a lot more careful about what I do post on this forum because the editing rules (30 minute limit) don't allow me to change my mind at a later date and alter any part of the post (eg. a link, text or image). It's forum policy, and that's fine, but that change in policy has certainly changed my view about posting.

It's a shame, IMHO, that the forum works that way as many others don't and I definitely post stuff (words and pics) on other forums that I won't post here (or any other forums with the same rule) ONLY for the reason I've mentioned.

JJ

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neil70 View Post
    I don't post many photos. I would do more if it was a simple exercise of just uploading your shots to one site rather than going through another. I understand why it is that we post through another site. I know its just me being lazy but that is why.
    I enjoy giving and receiving cc's on who ever and sometimes "wow grate shot" is all a photo needs. Other times more in depth advice is needed.
    You can just upload directly to AP

Even if you post to flickr etc it's just s matter if copy and pasting an URL link, that's not hard is it ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not hard for the majority of us to feel that our photos are a long way off the mark as far as critique is concerned, positive CC like the type Mongo has done in the thread "Mill" has me full of hope.
    Stirling
    Bodies: Canon 40D, Canon 7D
    lenses: 17-85mm is f4.5
    85mm f1.8 prime
    100-400mm f 4.5-5.6 is L
    Canon 430 EX ll flash
    Canon TC-80N3 remote timer

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    I'm a lot more careful about what I do post on this forum because the editing rules (30 minute limit) don't allow me to change my mind at a later date and alter any part of the post (eg. a link, text or image). It's forum policy, and that's fine, but that change in policy has certainly changed my view about posting.

It's a shame, IMHO, that the forum works that way as many others don't and I definitely post stuff (words and pics) on other forums that I won't post here (or any other forums with the same rule) ONLY for the reason I've mentioned.

JJ
    Seriously ? How often is that a problem ?

If I make a mistake and want to change and can't due to 30 minute thing I just report my post and a nice moderator changes it for me, no dramas

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post

That's not a deal-breaker, but yes John. It's one of those little things that can tip you one way or another and it is a bit of a weird policy that many much bigger fora than this one manage quite happily without. If it's any help, I comfort myself with the notion that it doesn't matter because no-one really reads my current posts, let alone my old ones!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast