13 25.00%
  • I can't be bothered

10 19.23%
  • I don't take pictures

4 7.69%
  • I don't want to share

0 0%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't you post any (more) pictures ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am fairly new here but have only lodged a couple of pics, both as taker & critiqued I found good shot a bit of waste of time. Technically I don't have much to offer, & think some would be offended if I say I didn't like a shot or would have liked it done this way without having something better to back it up. Similarly when I post a pic I want someone to say, crop it this way, use a filter, select sky in Pshop & brighten it ( though I find it hard to absorb the Pshop tips this would help me)
    Oly e500 zd14-54 zd70-300
    35-70/4 70-210/4 (leftover from old camera )

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fabian628 View Post
    Sometimes the cc is not so useful.

eg. comments on sharpness when the picture is viewed at websize aswell as compression from uploading.
    Ironically smaller images have an appearance of greater sharpness.

I'm not sure that pixel-peeping a 21pm image at 100% magnification is an effective way to measure a shot's critical sharpness.

The majority of people are not going to view the image at that size, and the types of applications which need that kind of pixel count are going to be large prints, which need to be viewed from a distance, which would effectively obscure any signs of a lack of tack-sharpness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Ironically smaller images have an appearance of greater sharpness.

I'm not sure that pixel-peeping a 21pm image at 100% magnification is an effective way to measure a shot's critical sharpness.

The majority of people are not going to view the image at that size, and the types of applications which need that kind of pixel count are going to be large prints, which need to be viewed from a distance, which would effectively obscure any signs of a lack of tack-sharpness.
    thats true, however if there is soft lighting it can be hard to see detail in small web sized images, so it can look like a soft image sometimes
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most more experienced photographers can tell soft as in out of focus or motion blur a mile away on a 200k, 800 pixel wide photo
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the moment, I don't take pictures. Unfortunately. Firstly because I don't have enough time, secondly (maybe more important) because my health doesn't allow it - yet. Taking pictures without thinking about a message I want them to convey just isn't my cup of tea. It'' return to me in the end (I hope).
    Last edited by jev; 20-07-2011 at 1:00am.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't posted any pic's for a while I have been too slack and haven't taken many latley.
    Canon 1000D twin lens kit. Lenses( EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ll, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro1:1 with hood, Hoya 55mm UV Filter. Picasa 3
    Debbie: (Photo's help us Remember those we have lost.)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too busy reading whats on here and replying to posts
    I average about two posts per week and the 51/2011 it better than none.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee MrDooba
    Its great to be that good!

Personally I think that some of the photos are not that good
    but then again its all in the eye of the beholder.

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 20-07-2011 at 2:01am.
    Bodies : Canon 450D, Canon 7D
    Lenses : Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100mm F2.8 Makro USM, Canon 24-70 L F2.8 USM, Canon 70-200 L F4, Canon 100-400 L F4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Editing : Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe we need to be ASKING for what we want when we post our photos. All good to put up "Went to xxx the other day with three models for a shoot", and expect in-depth critique.

I think if we want to encourage more/better critique, the first thing we can do is ASK for it. Rather than the above, it could be "Went to xxx the other day with 2 models, and had my first real outing with off-camera flash. I wanted to see what people thought of the results, bearing in mind that it was my first go and that I also was experimenting with softening the results during editing, does it work? what could I do better? Is the third photo in the set the best one? Any other suggestions and advice would be appreciated too."

If we give out more information, we might just get back more information. I know I will answer with more information if the thread starter tells me a bit more about what/why they have taken the photo, or processed it a certain way, rather than 'here is a shot I took of the sunrise this morning'.
    Last edited by ricktas; 20-07-2011 at 7:33am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ric that does make sense, will try in future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I post photos occasionally (very occasionally).

Usually it is if I take an exceptional photo (rare) or something new i am trying ( e.g. recent macro).

Thinking about it, main reason I probably do not post more photos, is that, they are already usually posted on facebook, flickr, and occasionally my blog, based on a progressive quality rating, so by time it would get posted here, it would have been already posted in 3 other places and would have to be of exceptional quality.

I am hoping to start doing more "people" photos soon, and may post some here, for a more experianced ctique.

I get a tremendous amount of value from this site, but to a degree I am guilty of using it as yet another "social network " site with my "photography" friends.
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't post because I have not taken any not snapping not posting but still looking for yours and try to give you my CC when I can but still need to gain more experience and understand of things like to soft to sharp move 2 steps left/right forward back so on I can only see what I like don't like that will come in time but I love it here and as soon as I can I will be back to annoy you all with my not so good photos
    All experts were once beginners

Nikon D3100 18 55 kit lens Nikon 35 mm Nikon 70 300mm optex tripod

MWAH! Sandy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to post few photos and due to the feedback to date I need to work solidly on my processing skills and learn and understand how to edit just certain parts of an image. This is part of the reason why I only post the occasional photo as those who have offered CC in the past I am off in the background trying to learn that all important processing whilst continuing with a full time job and remembering to get out and keep taking photos. I feel that if I keep putting up the same sort of PP images people will think I haven't learnt or taken anything away from previous posts (Does that make any sense?) BTW that doesn't mean that I don't take crap photos and need to work on that too
    Last edited by ksolomon; 20-07-2011 at 11:27am.
    Kassy
    Nikon D700
    CC Welcome and Appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darren you need to add an "I've been busy" option to your poll. Because that's my reason - I've been busy with paid work and busy with life in general. That's how it goes sometimes. I went from posting a photo every day last year (365 project) to barely posting at all these last few months. Give me another couple of months and I'll probably be posting again as my schedule opens up and I have time to do some personal (interesting) shooting.

It's all swings-and-roundabouts. I figure the forum balances itself out OK really.
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading through the thread, a few of my thoughts:

I'm only new here and have probably posted quite a lot of photos for the length of my time here. Some threads have got one or no replies, and like Kiwi says above I just take that as an indication that the photos are so bad or boring to the general viewer (like I know my pets shots would be, and they're a constant clunker) that they're not even worth the effort. Harsh, but true.

I'll admit that sometimes even I see photos and I just look at it and know that in my personal opinion and in accordance to my personal taste buds there is no saving it, or advice to be given. Aside from 'discard this one and try again.' Luckily for me I have skin as thick as my skull and it doesn't worry me if a post is ignored. Sure, I'd prefer a response, but I just keep posting because the tips and advice I HAVE got have been priceless, and so heavily appreciated. I'd rather receive helpful critique for 1 in 10 photos than no critique for no photos because I don't post any.

Just quickly on the other half of this thread - my personal problem with offering "harsh" critisism. As noted, I'm still new here and still definitely at the beginner level. Sometimes I see things I just don't like about photos... like everyone with an opinion would. But because I know my skills and knowledge is limited, I admit I am often inclined to avoid putting down what might be perceived as harsh words. Maybe once I get some more knowledge and skills under my belt I can critique photos a bit more, but at the moment I kind of struggle to critique a photo from a photographer who I know has an abundance more knowledge on photography than I do.

With regard to types of feeback one can receive. I don't hate the "nice shot" comment as much as everyone else seems to hate it. To me, I take it as a sign that there is plain and simply just a nice photo on display that someone does not have critisism for. Not every photo ever taken has "a negative point" to speak of, and there is not ALWAYS critique to be offered, unless you start grasping at straws. I take a "nice shot" comment as a sign that I'm on the right track, according to someone. And I think that's helpful in it's own way too. I just don't think it's that bad a thing...

Anyway, that's me for now. I know I forgot stuff, but there we go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    After reading through the thread, a few of my thoughts:

Just quickly on the other half of this thread - my personal problem with offering "harsh" critisism. As noted, I'm still new here and still definitely at the beginner level. Sometimes I see things I just don't like about photos... like everyone with an opinion would. But because I know my skills and knowledge is limited, I admit I am often inclined to avoid putting down what might be perceived as harsh words. Maybe once I get some more knowledge and skills under my belt I can critique photos a bit more, but at the moment I kind of struggle to critique a photo from a photographer who I know has an abundance more knowledge on photography than I do.
    Geoff, I agree 100% with your statement above, my skills and knowledge is very limited and I also avoid putting down my personal opinions incase that it perceived as harsh. Sometimes I do put things like Nice photo because of ..... rather than anything too technical as I am not sure if it is right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    My view is that people don't post images much (if at all) for any or a combination of the following reasons:

1. they're intimidated by some of the images visible on this site;
    2. they don't feel their images meet some perceived standard;
    3. they've posted before and received little, unhelpful or no critique; or
    4. they're here for other reasons (eg, sharing knowledge, answering questions, etc.).

While the solicitation or provision of critique is to be encouraged, some people simply won't feel comfortable doing either or both.
    All of the above for me!! I try & post fairly regularly and am keen to read comments, cc etc on the photos. More often than not there are nil comments. OK, so obviously the pics are boring. Then I look at pics posted by "regulars" that command many responses, but these pics look the same to me, same compositions, same colours, same scenes. I like these pics, I respect the photgrophers & the efforts they put in to get these shots.....but inherently, they all look familiar, and you see the same comments on each & every one of them. Do these banal & obvious comments help the photogropher achieve better photos in the future?
    Robbo (Neil)

Canon 7D, Canon 24-105mm f4 L, Canon 18-200mm IS, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1.4 USM, Sigma 10-20mm UWA Canon 400D

How do I change my signature?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with Jules.....busy and short cold days have had an effect on my desire to take photos....I keep pottering around here looking for inspiration...and whilst I have a challange in mind I haven't got it off the ground yet....back to the short cold days....

Will get back to saying more....am trying to remember to give a more rounded opinion....
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    Gee MrDooba
    Its great to be that good!

Personally I think that some of the photos are not that good
    but then again its all in the eye of the beholder.

Regards
    I never said I was "good". And if you knew me(which you don't) you would know that I would never say(or even think) I was good at anything.
    All I said was I take my bird photography very seriously.
    Chris

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still do post some photos, however, a few observations:

Looking at some other people's contributions you can sometimes feel quite humbled! Looking at Dylans and a few other's landscapes etc makes me feel quite inadequate! Sar, Richard Hall and some other people's bird photos also can be quite a humbling experience.

As for critiquing, I find it more useful to study the great images that are posted here and see where I can improve. Generally, most critiquing that I see is just a different opinion and in most cases not necessarily better, just different and therefore I steer clear of just commenting to show a different idea. Essentially, I find that I know how to compose and that lighting is very, very important etc and I am happy with this aspect of my photography, but it is in the area of post processing where I need to learn most. Dylan and a few others have shown us their workflow, which is very helpful, but there needs to be more in depth information about all this as there are things they do that we need to know why they do each step and what effect it has.

Also, I have noticed that there a couple of people who used to comment on my photos do not do so now and I am wondering if this is because of my stance on the carbon tax debate as it seems to have a parallel. I have not stopped commenting on their photos even though I do not necessarily share their opinion on this or other matters. Some of those same people do not reply to my comments on their photos when I post them, which I find a little discourteous as I always make a point of it to reply to people's comments on my photos as I think that is the courteous thing to do.

Anyway, I will keep posting photos when I get some decent shots!
    Last edited by Lance B; 20-07-2011 at 12:13pm.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast