13 25.00%
  • I can't be bothered

10 19.23%
  • I don't take pictures

4 7.69%
  • I don't want to share

0 0%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't you post any (more) pictures ?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Point being that all one dan do is put stuff out there, both photos and critique and take the generally good with the often bad response
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably a bit off topic, but John are you upset because someone had a different opinion of an image and how tp present their thoughts than what you had ??
    I don't get the point of your post here.

Just because you gave a good and indepth critique as you saw it, doesn't make the other replies amy less relevant, or valuable.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Removed; irrelevant.)
    Last edited by Xenedis; 19-07-2011 at 10:00pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't post alot mainly because when I do get CC it's mainly about the technical aspect of the photo. I don't shoot to be technically perfect, I shoot for fun and to sell (and make a nice little profit when I do)

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Point being that all one dan do is put stuff out there, both photos and critique and take the generally good with the often bad response
    Absolutely. Some people unfortunately aren't comfortable with that.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 19-07-2011 at 10:03pm.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xenedis, I was refering to Xebadir's post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worms are full of protein I love CC.......if I didn't get any I wouldn't bother putting up anything......and I try really hard to give at least 3 serious critiques back for each I get......even if its only explaining why I like something. I do tend to put my troublesome stuff up that I want/need/require some other opinions for....dont know if thats a good thing or not....but I appreciate all the help I can get! lol
    cheers
    Jan

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    Xenedis, I was refering to Xebadir's post
    Whoops. What are the chances that two people whose display names commence with "Xe" would share the same first name?

Better than average, apparently!

Apologies; I've retracted my previous post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a slower ADSL conection. That combined with the slowness of the site at the moment means that it is best for me to wait to after the site fix. I have a few images to add then
    Barbara

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wandapics_photography

K-x. Sigma 18-125mm 1:3.8 - 5.6 DC HSM, Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro, Sigma 100-300mm 1:4.5-6.7 DL. Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash,
    MZ-60. Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor Xenedis. Clearly you will have to change your name :P.

Not at all Mark, wasn't my intention. I really couldn't care less...tbh I have better things to do with my time that critique but I offer it for the things this forum has offered me with no expectation of it being noticed or taken over any other. The point I was trying to make was what if these two critiques were made independently for that image...in isolation (rather than being posted as they were...I sort of didn't want to embelish too much the original content...realistically I could have chosen any two critiques here it was just easier to find an example this way)? What is the impact going to be from the photographers POV. Are you going to be encouraged to post more by someone who trys to help...or someone who says bravo for trying?

Where I see an issue is that its that sort of critique that as others have posted here is as useful as a *Nice Image*...sure getting that sort of feedback is nice but eventually I find it pointless. I guess its not the perfect example of what I was trying to illustrate. When an image lacks compostion, technical aspects (and I am not talking nit picking, I am talking significant issues which detract alot from the image) are we really helping that photographer if we sugar coat, or fail to point out what we really think? I'm not talking this being just a newer to the forum thing either...realistically if I don't get a critique which points out how I could improve am I just going to assume my image is fine and leave it at that?

And I go back to the point again. Is Composition really a "technical quality" when we offer critique?
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's get back to why people aren posting pictures rather than good critique. I accept however the lack of the latter can effect the former

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandapics View Post
    I have a slower ADSL conection. That combined with the slowness of the site at the moment means that it is best for me to wait to after the site fix. I have a few images to add then
    The site speed will be resolved this Friday. The new server is purchased and its being configured by Kym at present, ready for the move!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebadir View Post
    Poor Xenedis. Clearly you will have to change your name :P.
    I had mine first, so you get to change yours. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Xebadir View Post
    And I go back to the point again. Is Composition really a "technical quality" when we offer critique?
    I consider composition an aesthetic element.

Things such as focus and exposure would rate to my mind as technical properties, but even within those elements, the 'rules' are flexible.

As far as exposure, blowing out highlights would rate as the main source of people's damnation to photographic hell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its at the crux of the issue Kiwi. Regardless of how we think our critique can potentially influence whether people post more images. I don't think you can really separate them. The feedback process is as key as posting the images...why post images if you get nothing out of doing so?
    Last edited by Xebadir; 19-07-2011 at 10:39pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn separate them, I accepted your point and suggested moving on.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    As far as exposure, blowing out highlights would rate as the main source of people's damnation to photographic hell.
    Actually, I blow out highlights regularly, and quite deliberately. Quite often, blown highlights are an essential item in the composition. I am fond, for example, of sun and clouds reflecting in water. I like to get both the sun itself and the reflection in frame. You MUST blow the highlights when you do this, or the resulting shot is terrible! There are many other examples.

And you know what? I think I need a picture post to show you what I mean. I have a couple of domestic duties to attend to, but I think it's time I posted a picture thread - something I seldom do these days. Didn't we have a thread about that very thing?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Actually, I blow out highlights regularly, and quite deliberately. Quite often, blown highlights are an essential item in the composition. I am fond, for example, of sun and clouds reflecting in water. I like to get both the sun itself and the reflection in frame. You MUST blow the highlights when you do this, or the resulting shot is terrible! There are many other examples.
    The use of GND filters and/or exposure bracketing can be used to get around that, but certainly in some scenes you'll get clipped highlights.

Whether or not that's a problem depends on the nature of the element and its prominence in the scene, or importance to the image.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I post (probably too many) pics regularly but I don't always care if I get responses or not. I have a say that I often do get good critique / suggestions / advice etc. Other times it is not so useful.

I must admit though, I can see why it would be highly disheartening to post a pic and receive either no response or 'nice shot' (sometimes - mia-culpa). If I were seeking some advice (because I wanted to understand how to improve), that would make me give up - and occassionally I go quiet for a month or two for this reason.

Scotty
    Last edited by Scotty72; 19-07-2011 at 10:57pm.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally if I get no posts on a photo I post it makes me realise it's One of these reasons (good feedback in a way)

1/ so stunning that people are gobsmacked
    2/ boring as batshit
    3/ crap
    Last edited by kiwi; 19-07-2011 at 11:34pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes the cc is not so useful.

eg. comments on sharpness when the picture is viewed at websize aswell as compression from uploading.

I'd like cc where someone may say 'I think it would look better if you did this' and posted an example image and explained how they got that effect. I have been tempted to do this a few times but I do not know if it would offend the original poster so I didn't

But I do like to view images and see how other people are taking pictures, and also ask questions about thier technique or how they were able to capture a certain picture.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast