User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Image Selection for Competitions ?

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    These are wonderful images, Dylan.

Do you need to narrow it down to just one image, or are all to be submitted.

If it is just one, then for me it is the rainbow over the castle ruins, Ardvreck Castle, Scotland. I think that is a gem as it has a subject, the ruin, and a secondary sudject, the rainbow and is simply a gorgeous photo. The central positioning of the ruins is ok here as the rainbow dictates that it all needed to be centred. I just love that photo!

I would be more than proud of any of these images as they are all excellent. However, my take on the others:

Couta Rocks, Tasmania. Great shot, but doesn't quite hit home for me to win a competition as it is just rocks and water, albeit superbly done!
    Cataract Gorge, Tasmania. This is beautiful, but just doesn't quite make it, IMO.
    Elgol, Scotland. Again, like Couta Rocks above, a beautiful image, but doesn't quite hit home for me to win a competition as it is just rocks and water, albeit superbly done!
    Annapurna South from Annapurna Base Camp, Nepal. A superb composition, but the movement of one of the people just takes the egde off it.
    Annapurna South from Poon Hill, Nepal. Another beautiful image, but it is just of a mountain and has no real impact other than that.
    Geysir Geothermal Area, Iceland. Great shot of the Geysir, but I think the people in tha background detract from the image.
    Laugavegur Hike, Iceland. Another beautiful image and the starkness of the landscape, the wonderful colouring with the two lonely people on it really hits home, but it just doesn't quit make it to win a comp, IMO.
    Godafoss, Iceland. Another gem of an image, but I think that the central location of the rock just tips it out of the competition.
    Kirkjufell, Iceland. That is a superb composition and would be my second choice.
    Kirkjufjara, Iceland. Excellent shot, but the central positioning of the rock just tips it against it. I realise that the central location lines up with the island in the distance, but it just doesn't quite make it, IMO.
    Jokulsarlon, Iceland. My 3rd choice. Wonderful composition and colouring.

I would have included Cradle Mountain, Tasmania, in the mix as it is a gem, too and my 4th pick.

As I said above, they are all superb images and I would be more than proud to have taken any of them and so should you!

Cheers,
    Lance
    Thanks so much for the feedback Lance They're all submitted since after a certain number of pictures, it's a flat rate for up to 20.
    I think I was possibly influenced to pick some of them in that they have been successful on other sites (eg the Couta Rock one) - I actually didn't think much of the kirkjufell one until all of a sudden it was well received posting it on other sites - I still actually struggle to see it being one of the better pictures lol.
    As for Geysir, that one I picked purely because some random editorial person picked it for publishing in popular photography - faults and all!

thanks again - there's some good insight there!
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dylan, I have to agree with Lance here....you have some amazing photos and to me these don't really cut it as your best.

(these are all way better than I could expect to do though)

To me these are all beautiful images but I think to do well in a competotion it needs to tell a story.
    Some of your people shots from Nepal are amazing, why none of these or is there a theme to consider.
    Also where is that photo from (basecamp???) with all the small tents in and the mountains in the background? (tried to find it on here but can't! Hopeless! Sorry)

You have so many wow pictures....and these are just beautiful pictures.....my fav of the lot you have there is "Laugavegur Hike, Iceland. Another beautiful image and the starkness of the landscape, the wonderful colouring with the two lonely people on it really hits home, but it just doesn't quit make it to win a comp, IMO." I agree with Lance again!

Sorry....but what do i know.....I know I like all of em....but it ain't me that is judging them!

Roo
    Last edited by rellik666; 20-07-2011 at 1:46pm.
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the feedback Roo
    In terms of telling a story, the pictures I've chosen were meant to identify a location (or so I thought) - for the reason that I don't like posting pictures of 'just rocks' or just another mountain - the idea of say the Couta rocks image was to show the characteristic kind of rugged coastline of the NW tassie, the bridge image to identify it as being cataract gorge, the Elgol image with the black cuillins in the background , the prayer flags indicating the nepalese himalaya, the profile of annapurna south characteristic as view from Poon Hill , the hikers with the charactersitic landmannalaugar mountains in the background etc.
    however, if these messages are not getting through, then you're right, perhaps I haven't conveyed that message through at all if all you are seeing is 'just another mountain' shot.
    I think the tent shot with the icelandic mountains in the background was one I avoided because the first reaction of many was that all I did to it was hit the boost saturation button - which I was afraid was what the instant opinion of judges might be! (second guessing :P)

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks roo for the feedback
    i didn't include the camp picture with the icelandic mountains in the background because I thought that it would be very easy to see the saturation and think of it as a cheap 'boost saturation' PP job
    all of the images I had hoped conveyed a sense of where they were taken (ie I hate pictures of 'just rock' but the couta rocks one for instance was supposed to show the colour and ruggedness of the NW tassie coast, the hiker one showing the charactersitic rhyolite background, the annapurna one identified as nepal from the prayer flag etc.)
    given that I can't explain that to the judges and you and lance haven't seen those messages, then I guess I haven't been successful in picking the pictures that tell the story they're supposed to!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    .......the annapurna one identified as nepal from the prayer flag .....
    See I think you are right here, but to me the others are not recognisable so I don't see the story. It may be different if you know the place, but sometimes I think you have to detach from where it is a bit because you have an emotional input from being there.....Sorry if this doesn't make any sense...but if I was a judge and didn't know the place would I have an emotional response?

Some of my favs of yours.....still can't find the tent one!

http://www.everlookphotography.com/I...6_Zp7AU-XL.jpg
    http://www.everlookphotography.com/I...0_fR78q-XL.jpg
    http://www.everlookphotography.com/I...7_JKy7s-XL.jpg

Just seen this one is up there......don't think the small size is helping your cause....this one is brill larger!

http://www.everlookphotography.com/I...13_w6oHk-L.jpg

I think maybe you need to be less critical of the technicalities and more about the image as whole....a stunning image is one that is both emotional and technically good....doesn't have to be perfect becuase if it sucks you in....you aren't going to notice the so called bad bits!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rellik666 View Post
    I think maybe you need to be less critical of the technicalities and more about the image as whole....a stunning image is one that is both emotional and technically good....doesn't have to be perfect becuase if it sucks you in....you aren't going to notice the so called bad bits!
    If Dylan is anything like me, the "bad bits" will discount such images from the running.

Nobody notices (and is bothered by) the bad bits more than the photographer... and judges.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think? Look I am not talking about my bad bits....they are bad bits....but what am talking about is small technicalities that do not detract from the bigger picture.

I suppose it depends on what the judges are marking it against...to me something that pulls you emotionally is always going to win over something that is purely technically correct.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think? Look I am not talking about my bad bits....they are bad bits....but what am talking about is small technicalities that do not detract from the bigger picture.
    Sure, but to someone who is a perfectionist, "small technicalities that do not detract from the bigger picture" stand out like the proverbial sore thumb.

I suppose it depends on what the judges are marking it against...to me something that pulls you emotionally is always going to win over something that is purely technically correct.
    I tend to agree.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 20-07-2011 at 3:45pm.

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the problem is that I do personally get bothered by those imperfections techinically lol (maybe I should learn to not worry so much - who knows!)

Roo, it's interesting, but I wouldn't have chosen rated the 1st and 3rd images you linked very highly
    I do really like my pink Jokulsarlon picture but once again , an ill flavoured response from previous entry into competitions swayed me against including it
    The iceberg one - it was a tough call to include that one vs the one I put in - Marianne's choice was the balance of power in this case !

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, let Mongo say any one of these images is worthy of entry into serious completion.
    Mongo also agrees about the idiosyncrasies /unpredictability of the judges from time to time. However, that should never be a basis for not entering. You should know your work is good – if someone else does not understand it – that’s their problem !
    For Mongo’s 2 cents worth from competition experience, and even though it may sound too cliché, #1 and the B&W (second last) are Mongo’s 2 picks.
    One of the biggest problems you will have is that all our collective advice will also differ and disagree with each other - and , ultimately, be of no real help to you making a selection
    A lot has been said about the castle. Yes, it is a great image but , depending on the rules in relation to manipulation (if there are any in the contest you which to enter), this may be seen as a created situation rather than an actual capture. If it were to be seen that way by the judges, Mongo feels it will not do anywhere near as well as the other images you have to offer. Just Mongo's 2 cents worth.
    Whatever you decide, the very best of luck to you.
    Last edited by mongo; 20-07-2011 at 4:15pm.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks mongo ! couldnt' agree more about the variation in opinion - I was interested to see if I was completely off the ballpark (from the listed biases) or kind of on it based on your collective thoughts - it has been a great exercise so far (for me anyway!)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you have enjoyed our collective non knoweldge of what the judges may like!

I think the general feeling is we love your photos!

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See I think you are right here, but to me the others are not recognisable so I don't see the story. It may be different if you know the place, but sometimes I think you have to detach from where it is a bit because you have an emotional input from being there.....Sorry if this doesn't make any sense...but if I was a judge and didn't know the place would I have an emotional response?

Some of my favs of yours.....still can't find the tent one!

http://www.everlookphotography.com/I...6_Zp7AU-XL.jpg
    http://www.everlookphotography.com/I...0_fR78q-XL.jpg
    http://www.everlookphotography.com/I...7_JKy7s-XL.jpg

Just seen this one is up there......don't think the small size is helping your cause....this one is brill larger!

http://www.everlookphotography.com/I...13_w6oHk-L.jpg

Some excellent choices from Dylan pics!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As usual Dylan they are all great images. All winners in my eyes.
    But judges can be such fickle creatures. I seen a few competitions with some images that are absolutely spectacular (almost as good as yours) but what wins the comp is complete crap.
    I, as some here have seen a competition with a theme of "Everyday Lives". It had all sorts of images, some I believe had nothing to do with the theme. Including nudes. If there are people that run around every day in the nude, I'd be surprised.
    The other thing about those competitions is you get to see 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If you don't win, you don't get to see how your image faired overall.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    geoff, that's why I liked the better photography competition - because they attempted to give you a score out of 100 for each image you presented.
    this year I thought I'd try something new and will feedback to this forum if the result was any good in terms of feedback.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12