Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New lens

I am looking at buying a 70-200 prime lens, As any of our members dealt with D-D photography in Sydney I know that they are known for grey imports there price is $1535.00 + post, Digital camera warehouse Membourne $1679.00 which I can pick up.

Pat.
    A Photo is only as good as the eyes that look at.
    Camera Canon 30D 7D
    Lens Canon 100 f2.8, 400L is f/4 Sigma 70-200 pro os

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 70-200mm lens is a zoom, not a prime. :-)

Discount Digital Photographics is very reputable. Much of my gear was purchased from DDP, and I'd have no hesitation in recommending it.

Yes, the lenses DDP sells are 'grey' (ie, parallel imports), which is why they are less expensive. However, Canon L lenses include international warranties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which 70-200 are you looking at?
    Canon currently have 4 different 70-200 L zooms in their range.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which 70-200 are you looking at?
    Canon currently have 4 different 70-200 L zooms in their range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a total difference of around $150.00, I'd buy the one with Australian warranty myself.
    At least you are supporting a local shop front, where you can go and try the lens on to see how it feels and look through the viewfinder and get advice, to say nothing about the Australian warranty.

I've certainly bought a few grey-market lenses, but when the price of the grey-market lens is within 10% of the cost of a locally sourced one, I'll buy the Aussie backed one every time.

If you're scratching to get the lens, there are cheaper grey importers out there.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    For a total difference of around $150.00, I'd buy the one with Australian warranty myself.
    Canon L lenses have international warranties.

I see no logic in spending an extra $150 for something you already have.

At least you are supporting a local shop front, where you can go and try the lens on to see how it feels and look through the viewfinder and get advice, to say nothing about the Australian warranty.
    Discount Digital Photographics is an Australian business, and has a shopfronts in North Sydney. It also used to have one in Fortitude Valley (Brisbane).

As stated, the lens is already covered by an international warranty.

I've certainly bought a few grey-market lenses, but when the price of the grey-market lens is within 10% of the cost of a locally sourced one, I'll buy the Aussie backed one every time.
    Unnecessarily spending extra money to cover someone's retail overheads is entirely a matter of choice.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 19-07-2011 at 5:05pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DDP Brisbane closed last month.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unistudent1962 View Post
    DDP Brisbane closed last month.
    Interesting.

Perhaps maintaining a physical presence there was not profitable.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could save another $150 odd buy buying thru their singapore store too... DDE. not sure how much postage is tho.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    you could save another $150 odd buy buying thru their singapore store too... DDE. not sure how much postage is tho.
    As I understand it, goods valued at $1,000 or more are subject to GST when entering the country, so when comparing against the Australian price, one would need to consider:

1. exchange rates and associated commissions;
    2. the cost of shipping; and
    3. GST/import duty.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah true... forgot about that. thanks mate

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for all your input all good information,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Interesting.

Perhaps maintaining a physical presence there was not profitable.
    Sad, but true. I rang them one day to check availabilty, rang back the next to pay and arrange pickup only to be told it would now have to be shipped from Sydney.

Didn't matter in the end though, I ended up getting Aus stock locally for less than $60 more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon L lenses have international warranties.

I see no logic in spending an extra $150 for something you already have.

Discount Digital Photographics is an Australian business, and has a shopfronts in North Sydney. It also used to have one in Fortitude Valley (Brisbane).

As stated, the lens is already covered by an international warranty.

Unnecessarily spending extra money to cover someone's retail overheads is entirely a matter of choice.
    Have you ever tried to take a grey-market L lens into Canon for their "International Warranty" lately?
    They'll tell you to take it back to where you bought it from if you want it fixed under warranty, and then you can wait for weeks as the lens is returned to its country of origin etc.
    Years ago, they would honour the International Warranty, but today......................................................

If you do get hit for GST, then between the GST and freight, it may actually be cheaper in the long run to buy it locally.

As I said, I have bought a lot of stuff grey-market, but if their isn't much difference in the cost, I'll buy locally.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever tried to take a grey-market L lens into Canon for their "International Warranty" lately?
    I have seven L-series lenses and two Canon tele-converters, the most pricey lens of which is my 300/2.8L IS, and the biggest saving of which was had by buying that lens from DDP rather than a B&M where it would have cost $1-2K more.

I have never had one fail, and they are well and truly out of warranty now. (I note that a warranty lasts 12 months from the date of purchase, so if it fails the day after the warranty period expires, you're out in the cold.)

I don't for one minute regret opting to pay a cheaper price rather than unnecessarily fork out enough money to fund one or two more lenses, for a warranty I would be unlikely to ever need.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal choice, and in my case, it didn't make sense, nor was desirable, to over-spend.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Postage to or from HK is about 3 days. The wait for service/repair is about the same. Canon Aus. are not reknown for there fast service times, but they are certainly thorough. Probably little difference between any service centre. Some overseas sites have Aust. service centres which use one of the local "non authorised" service centres. I like to save money where possible and support aussie business too but up to a point!!! Everyone has to live and eat including people overseas. Just my thoughts.....cheers Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricat View Post
    Canon Aus. are not reknown for there fast service times, but they are certainly thorough.
    I thought that was the case as well, UNTIL....
    I posted a lens to the Sydney service centre on Friday, they emailed that they received it Monday morning, followed by a quote on Monday afternoon. Can't get much quicker service than that!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    howdy pat...
    have you considered the new sigma 70-200 2.8 ?? optical stabilisers also.
    can buy brand new for under 1000 dollars

have heard good reviews from pro shooters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seven L-series lenses and two Canon tele-converters, the most pricey lens of which is my 300/2.8L IS, and the biggest saving of which was had by buying that lens from DDP rather than a B&M where it would have cost $1-2K more.

I have never had one fail, and they are well and truly out of warranty now. (I note that a warranty lasts 12 months from the date of purchase, so if it fails the day after the warranty period expires, you're out in the cold.)

I don't for one minute regret opting to pay a cheaper price rather than unnecessarily fork out enough money to fund one or two more lenses, for a warranty I would be unlikely to ever need.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal choice, and in my case, it didn't make sense, nor was desirable, to over-spend.

You're one of the lucky ones then. Try spending $200 fixing a lens that's still on "warranty". Someone i know have. Essentially it cost him the same as buying locally. LoL
    Last edited by KeeFy; 25-07-2011 at 11:27pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, Canon L lenses include international warranties.

Canon lenses do not ship with international warranties since August 2010. So if you buy one now, it will not come with the green international warranty card unless it's really old stock.

My recommendation is to buy the MACK diamond warranty. Extends your warranty to 3 years international. Will be honoured by Canon worldwide. Will cost the same or a little more than a local set with the added benefit of international 3 year warranty including water damage.
    Last edited by KeeFy; 25-07-2011 at 11:32pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast