User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: How best to photo Uluru

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How best to photo Uluru

I am going to Uluru this July for a very short visit and will only get one chance to photo the rock. It will be either sunset or sunrise, not sure which as it depends on when we arrive. I have never been there before. I don't think I will have time to experiment with settings.
    Can I get some help with the best position, camera settings and which lens to use? I have either a Canon EF28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens or Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di IIVC LD or Canon nifty fifty 1.8.I plan to use a tripod and cable release.
    I would like to get two or three postcard type shots of Uluru in different light. Is this possible?
    I also plan to go to the Olgas on opposite morning or evening and then a daytime trip to King's Canyon. Any tips most welcome as time will be short (total of two and a bit days!) and I want to make the best of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a nice, albeit short little trip John. I would use the Tammy. Simply because you have the extra field of view. It should be well suited to such an outing. Glade to hear that you will be useing a tripod and release cable. Dont forget to switch off the image stabilizing system. I'm sure you will have enough time to experiment with some basic TV/AV settings. Shoot on M and just set either TV or AV to a number then take shots whlilst moving the other up or down. I'm sure you will come away with some keepers. Best of luck and look forward to seeing the results.
    Cheers, Paul.
    Canon 50D w BG l Nifty Fifty l Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 l Sigma 24-70 f2.8 l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF 300 f4L IS USM l EF 1.4X ll TC l 430EXII l Vanguard Alto Pro 263 w BH100 l Manfrotto 680B w 234RC l Lowepro Bags.l Sigma EM-140 Ring Flash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrogers45 View Post
    Any tips most welcome as time will be short (total of two and a bit days!) and I want to make the best of it.
    Given all this, I would definitely organise to be there at sunset. The sunset view is the postcard one and you might as well just park in the sunset viewing car park like everyone else if that's what you're looking for. Just try to get there a bit early if you want to pick a spot and set up properly - an hour or so before sunset at least - because it gets crowded. I didn't do sunrise when I was there, but I'm told it's nowhere near as spectacular and the view is not so well known.

FWIW, you are not allowing anywhere near enough time. Sometimes there is nothing that can be done, but trying to see all that in such a short time will mean that you won't see much of anything. I spent 3 days at Uluru last year, could have stayed longer and am going back again this winter. It is pretty amazing but you won't get a sense of that if you're only there for a few hours.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day John

Some things I may be able to help with others less so
    Just looked up some of my archived images of Ulura & Katajuta from a couple of years back
    Focal lengths show lots of 20 - 24 - 32 - 48mm, a few around 120 and a heap at 260mm

As to locations - the brand new $3-million site for sunrise viewing is in the shadow of the morning sun - built at the direction & location of the "experts" at the federal department of the environment as its location would not have such an impact on the environment of where tourists used-to-go !!!!!!!!!!!

How you will find it works is anybody's guess

Sunsets are an unknown also as "they" have moved things around since I was there

Katajuta is a hell-of-a-place, lots of beaut walks, very very hot in the direct sun - lots of 18-28mm stuff there
    It's 300% different from Uluru - so take your time [ha ha] and make the best of it

Hope this helps a bit
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just came back from there - the 17-50 Tamron would be your best bet. I also used a 10-22 & a 55-250 so take your 28-135 as well.
    I found sunrises actually better than sunsets. Get in position 20min or so before sunrise. Sunrise / sunset times are posted at the Park. There is a new viewing platform closer to the Olgas which gives fantastic views of both Ayers Rock & The Olgas - you are looking at Ayers Rock into the sunrise on the left of the Rock and then turn around and the Olgas are bathed in light from the sunrise. This viewing platform area is about 20min drive into the Park so allow time for that.
    For sunsets I would suggest spending and going on the Sounds of Silence Dinner. They take you out into the open on a mound with great views of Ayers Rock with the setting sun and turn around looking into the sunset over the Olgas. Complete with Didgeridoo playing plus bar & food provided by waiters - a great night and an experience well worth doing.
    Definitely also worth doing is a helicopter flight - recommend the 30min flight over both Ayers Rock & The Olgas - cost $240 each.
    We found Ayers Rock was about 9 out of 10, but the Olgas are 10 out of 10.
    Some of my pics from here can be viewed here:
    http://quickshot.zenfolio.com/landsc...9c0f#h367f9c0f

Also do a Helicopter flight over Kings Canyon - again well worth it.
    Last edited by Old Skool; 15-05-2011 at 10:32pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that help Russell. I had heard about the Sounds of Silence but never thought about it as a photo opportunity! I have rung up and made a reservation.
    Also thanks to Paul, Soulman and Phil. I will take all that advice and will post photos when I return in mid July.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's the pics John? Common post some, I haven't had a chance to pop around yet but will have to come around to have a look. Was it a good photo trip? And thanks for the presents
    Regards
    Occifer Nick

Nikon D7000 | Tokina 11-16/2.8 | Cokin P Series 121M Grad | Nikon 60mm 2.8D | Nauticam NA-D7000V underwater housing |

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mongo's experience of this rock is that you have to be a distance a way to get it all in. This may mean some foreground inevitably - which is not a bad thing. The natural instinct is to think very wide angle but this may not necessarily be the case. Mongo has taken the liberty of posting an "extreme" (heavily manipulated) shot he has on hand to give you an idea of the perspective he is talking about. Sorry to say, Mongo cannot remember what lens he used to do this. Hope it gives you some idea of the dimensions and focal length you may need.

u.jpg

AND do not forget the ulgas while you are out there - Mongo thinks they are more interesting

o.jpg
    Nikon and Pentax user