Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Picking a Tripod....

Between Eulo and Toompine, far south western QLD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picking a Tripod....

Is slowing sending me insane. I swear I had a headache before lunch time. I know you guys are probably sick of these types of posts but...urgh, I dunno what I'm doing, plainly.
    I've read through the forum and the all the 'how to's' and I think I've figured out the specifics of what I need: Height without center column: 'bout 59.8inches. Max.load: round 7kgs (in-case I ever get to get some massive lens (I'm aloud to dream) I don't want to suddenly have to get another tripod, too). Preferably a ballhead, since most of the use will be for wildlife. Either way with head types (damn, that's confusing too) I want a quick release. Aluminum/carbon fiber:...I have no idea.
    Vanguard 263AB 100 I think looks about right...but then there's Silk, Manfrotto, Benro and a million other brands. Downside: (apart from the choosing difficulty) I'm not a millionaire, so I can't really go over 300 at the moment. Saving up is an option, but if the others will do just as good a job (which, I don't really know, it's hard to look at reviews when I haven't been able to narrow it down much. Headache.) then I don't see the point in paying for a name.
    So now that I've put you to sleep with all the senseless rambling (sorry ) any ideas/suggestions would be terrific Thanks guys!
    Meg
    CC appreciated and welcome!

http://www.facebook.com/Photography.MeganHenry

Canon 7D | Canon 18-55mm & 55-250mm | Canon 100-400mm L | Canon 100mm L Macro |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Optex heavy duty pro series tripod, it is one rugged piece of work.

The legs are the screw type and are strong and stable, the pan and tilt adjusters both have levels and the pan head is very stable.

I can't find my type of tripod online as it may be discontinued. I bought it from Harvey Norman 3 years ago at ~ $200.
    Stirling
    Bodies: Canon 40D, Canon 7D
    lenses: 17-85mm is f4.5
    85mm f1.8 prime
    100-400mm f 4.5-5.6 is L
    Canon 430 EX ll flash
    Canon TC-80N3 remote timer

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozspeed View Post
    I have the Optex heavy duty pro series tripod, it is one rugged piece of work.

The legs are the screw type and are strong and stable, the pan and tilt adjusters both have levels and the pan head is very stable.

I can't find my type of tripod online as it may be discontinued. I bought it from Harvey Norman 3 years ago at ~ $200.
    Thanks I'll check out that brand, too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The One Tripod is as illusory a goal as The One Bag.

I'd get one that seems to fit the purpose you have now, particularly the load you have now. Don't worry about supporting huge glass. At the point you have the $s for big lenses, you will have the $s for a more appropriate tripod, and probably want a different style of head, and know better what you want too.
    Last edited by strictfunctor; 13-07-2011 at 9:02pm.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday Meg I'm a budget man but when I can afford it I bye the best. This is what I would do though, I would visit all my local stores that stocked Tripods and pick the one that was within my budget, that I thought would suite my needs, try to find one that is tight where it should be with no movement in the head and so forth
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both I'll keep going through them and see what I come up with. It's a bit hard to look through stores, closest town is 50km away and consists of a post office, store and fuel depo haha The down side to living in the sticks haha.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegHenry View Post
    Thank you both I'll keep going through them and see what I come up with. It's a bit hard to look through stores, closest town is 50km away and consists of a post office, store and fuel depo haha The down side to living in the sticks haha.
    :lol, Thatle teach ya
    Last edited by Duane Pipe; 13-07-2011 at 10:23pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! Hey, blame the parents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently bought a Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT Tripod with the GH-100 Pistol-grip Ball Head for $250 delivered and am loving it. The head seems to suit your needs with a 7kg rating and from my experiences thus far, it's a versatile unit! Allows me to shoot from extreme low angles and has a modest max height with the colum up (160-ish cm)
    If you don't mind the 2kg weight, it'll fit into your specs and price range quite nicely (with change for a second quick release plate!)
    -Alan

D700 | D80 | 16-35 | 24-70 | 70-200 | 30 | 50 | 85

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks Alan! That sounds good...will go have a squizz at them now

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi MH

I understand your confusion as I recently did the same exercise.

What I did realise is that there is no such thing as a 'good cheap tripod and head'. I wasted 00's of $'s to find that out.

You mention wildlife as a major interest, so weight is a factor if you are going to be lugging your gear through the scrub. That means Carbon Fibre, stronger and lighter but also dearer.

It will be almost impossible to get a carbon fibre tripod and ballhead for your $300 budget.

In my search I was pretty impressed with the feedback on the Feisol tripods and ballheads. A tripod plus centre column will set you back about your budget, and a head about another $130. Yes, I'd strongly suggest you wait and save a bit more rather than compromise reliability to try and save some money.

http://www.feisol.net/feisol-ball-he...4750-p-76.html

FWIW I finished up with a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 carbon fibre tripod and a Markins Q10 head.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kevin Yeah, I'm beginning to think I'm gonna have to wait a bit lol. I'm looking forward to when I can work without having to worrying about handling school at the same time. I'll get there eventually, but I think there should be some law against choosing something being so difficult! Haha