User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  18
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you a sport & event photographer ? Join SEPA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice idea Darren. But what about some of us hobbiest that dabble in sport. Can we join, and submit images as well. Or is it pro's only.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Good idea but, 2 things concern me:

1) Fostering this culture of 'you can't trust people these days'

2) your list of approved photographers is really setting you up for serious consequences.

Scotty
    A) horse is bolted on that one.

B) disclaimers are in effect, or will be re liability. Membership will be dependent on entry criteria being met, but I think I understand your concern.

Can it be mitigated ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Members so far are just people on my friends list really, is that elitist ? No, that's not the intent. Is it going to be for everyone ? No. Anyone can join if they meet some quite basic and standard criteria which is open for discussion but aims to be fair. So, no, I reject that it's elitist but like sportsshooter it's an achievement to be a member.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    so this is for pro togs, not just ppl who like shooting spot right?
    It's for part time or full time professionals (though I suspect most members will be in the part timer category) If you do or intend to charge anything for sport and event work then you are able to join. The eventual (I hope) benefits for members are more aligned to those soliciting for paid work.

What do you think though? Open it up ? Im not sure.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    A simple question:
    What is the benefit to the part timer to join this org? What recognition can one expect as a member (esp if it's a FB only group which isn't public, and people like me can't see the page)?
    It's an open group but with membership needing approval

Benefits of membership if it takes off are articulated on the site in my opinion, but I'm happy to elaborate

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got a direct answer to this darren?
    I think I just answered this

The answer is I thought it had most relevance to those charging, a little, or a lot, part time or full time. But I'm also aware that many qualify re quality, code of conduct and gear but for whatever reason are purely amateur

So, yeah, what do you think ?
    Last edited by kiwi; 12-07-2011 at 7:38pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting concept ---- however --- launching it on FB is a worry as it seems that everybody and their ewe dog is looking for an alternate platform that doesn't look quite as cheap.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Interesting concept ---- however --- launching it on FB is a worry as it seems that everybody and their ewe dog is looking for an alternate platform that doesn't look quite as cheap.
    Yes, but, it's a low cost and easy social virus way of establishment. IF it goes viral then I'll look for sponsorship to establish a website. I think Facebook and soon to be google+ are becoming more acceptable medians for "serious" marketing.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I think I just answered this

The answer is I thought it had most relevance to those charging, a little, or a lot, part time or full time. But I'm also aware that many qualify re quality, code of conduct and gear but for whatever reason are purely amateur

So, yeah, what do you think ?
    yeah sorry about that, you did... i got distracted posting and you answered in the mean time.

should you open it up? no i dont think so... unless you want to open it to those that want to become pro sport togs, in which case you could run workshops, etc... but thats a whole different kettle of fish.
    i think the idea of an association for pro sport togs in its self is a great idea. obviously not for me tho but still....

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but, it's a low cost and easy social virus way of establishment. IF it goes viral then I'll look for sponsorship to establish a website. I think Facebook and soon to be google+ are becoming more acceptable medians for "serious" marketing.
    Do you want quality or quantity?

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think FB is actually a good sounding board for getting things going. obviously once established a propper dot com will be better.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    200 high quality photographers throughout the Country is my target.

A website is a big investment, to attract new members is my primary initial goal and I think Facebook is a perfect mechanism to do this, don't you ?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wish you the very best with it Darren, though I think you have probably launched about 3 months to early and should have done a lot more ground work prior to announcing it.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think FB is actually a good sounding board for getting things going. obviously once established a propper dot com will be better.
    I'm actually not so sure. Im of the opinion websites are old abd becoming increasingly redundant. Linkedin is probably next actually.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I wish you the very best with it Darren, though I think you have probably launched about 3 months to early and should have done a lot more ground work prior to announcing it.
    Ive been thinking about it for awhile, it's still in startup and the working documents are draft, I'm really not sure how me working in a vacuum for three months would make s big difference ?

It's only known to my existing social network either here or on facebook, so , I'd prefer to think I'm in focus group mode still really

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may end up a bit like the association for tutors. It is an 'industry' that needs no qualification to join, no professional standards to maintain and no enforceable professional penalties.

So, few tutors (Inc me) belong and even fewer customers seek their referrals. Most work is picked up via word of mouth.

I'm sure a fair bit of your sales come via this method.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Idea
    Thanks Steve
    Winer of the sheep week 2 + 6
    www.atkimages.com.au "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough," ROBERT CAPA"
    Tokina 16-28 f2.8 PRO FX,Sigma 500 4.5 Ex DG, Canon 5D Mii, Canon 7D, Canon 2x converter,Canon 70-200 2.8 L,
    Sigma 120-300 2.8 EX, Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX, Canon 1.4x converter, Canon 580 ex 2 speed light
    And two canon kit Lenses.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually not so sure. Im of the opinion websites are old abd becoming increasingly redundant. Linkedin is probably next actually.
    That they are... but i think it is too soon to base soley on fb. It seems to me most orgs have a .com and a fb page.
    I know nothing tho. Just typing my thoughts.
    Wish u the best on it mate. Should be good.

Sent from my TR718D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to think that FB is becoming a victim of its own success and its own stupid privacy policies. The numbers of new users is seriously declining : far outstripping the numbers of dormant users (though FB make this hard to confirm).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have interest, however don't and won't use Facebook. I am a former NSW police officer, and 10 years in the job makes for a few undesirable 'friends'

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast