Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darren could you please explain the criteria? I get the sport bit but what does event entail? Award nights for companies? The eistedford? I am not sure what an 'event' is
    cheers
    Jan

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of those plus things like the abbey medieval festival, community fairs and concerts etc

A very broad definition

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a read and have some questions?

* What makes your FB group any different to AIPP etc. It appears to just be developing as another 'professional' member body?
    * How are you going to check your members for working with children? Are you going to do police checks etc?
    * How will you deal with a member breaching your rules? If you put your group out there as 'safe' photographers for working with children, the impact of a 'rogue' photographer could be devastating, and could possibly result in legal action against the group.
    * How is what you offer any different from the card system in Queensland that allows people to work with children?

Whilst I commend you on the concept, I think you need to do a lot more work before you start inviting people to be members.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your questions

Sport and event photographers don't usually join aipp for a variety of reasons. This is not replacing aipp membership.

I'm not doing police checks, that's why you need to provide government supplied blue cards or similar credentials from other states

I suppose the possibility of a rogue photographer always exists, as with a rogue plumber, I can only do minimal checks and accept members with a reference from other members

I'm happy to do more work on this but you have to start somewhere don't you

What constructive ideas anyone has are welcome and people are free to join or not, there's no fee.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Thanks for your questions

Sport and event photographers don't usually join aipp for a variety of reasons. This is not replacing aipp membership.

I'm not doing police checks, that's why you need to provide government supplied blue cards or similar credentials from other states

I suppose the possibility of a rogue photographer always exists, as with a rogue plumber, I can only do minimal checks and accept members with a reference from other members

I'm happy to do more work on this but you have to start somewhere don't you

What constructive ideas anyone has are welcome and people are free to join or not, there's no fee.
    So for those states that do not have blue cards or a similar system, what are you planning to do?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing, but to be a member you still have to have agree to the code of conduct which does at least least to some enhanced protection of images of children, peer review and a certain standard of actual ability. Better than what occurs now.

But yes, I should beef that up a bit re these issues

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing, but to be a member you still have to have agree to the code of conduct which does at least least to some enhanced protection of images of children, peer review and a certain standard of actual ability. Better than what occurs now.

But yes, I should beef that up a bit re these issues
    Sounds like an interesting idea , but when it comes to peer review.. who are you going to have do this... have seen this type of thing done in other forms and when you have so called peers making judgement decisions , which could be based on personality may cloud your judgement... or even just the skill level of the peers making the decisions.. perhaps someone who is in or has come from an editorial background would be best on doing this.. we tried several years ago with a teachers group like this for after hours tutoring, but it came down to personality clashes more then actual so called skill.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it not SEPANZ??
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris

Myself and other admin members will do the peer review. It will be along the same lines as the process at sports shooter, i think I'm pretty fair but I suppose what you describe is possible.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Why is it not SEPANZ??
    excellent point, I may still change that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris

Myself and other admin members will do the peer review. It will be along the same lines as the process at sports shooter, i think I'm pretty fair but I suppose what you describe is possible.
    I am only playing the devils advocate here but you describe yourself on the sepa site - My name is Darren White, I am a part time professional sport photographer based in Brisbane Australia. I own and operate Peak Action Images (http://www.PeakActionImages.c​om). I mainly photograph junior sport (I just love it)
    How then does this give you required experience and or knowledge to decide who is in and out and who has a port folio worthy of joining and who dosnt... wouldnt this be better suited to a full time media / professional tog or photo editor. ??
    I did some research on sports shooter and the guys that make the decisions there are long time full time professional togs with a massive amount of experience in the media and major sport.

and surely does having 2 camera bodies mean you are any better then someone who is a full time professional who only uses one ( such as some of the professional news togs and freelance guys i have met at education press calls
    Last edited by Chris Michel; 12-07-2011 at 3:35pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I have enough knowledge and experience to judge whats minimum professional quality in sport and event photography, if you think otherwise that's ok, but I'm comfortable with that position. If there are more qualified members to do that who join and offer better appraisals thats fine too and would be great.....maybe we will and maybe we won't.

I don't consider having just one camera as acting professionally, no matter what the camera. And yes, one camera needs to be good one, as well as the gear to ensure that clients can expect a hig level of service. If the entry criteria is either too loose or too tight I'll review it. But there does need to be a certain standard.

Thanks for your feedback though, all much valued

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally I applaud anyone prepared to put together an organisation.

However - not to be negative, I think this statement Darren is both quite wrong, and misleading:
    "Sport and event photographers don't usually join aipp for a variety of reasons."

In reality there are many photographers out there working both full time and part time who choose not be a member of any organisation, the AIPP included. To make this type of statement is I'm afraid, not based on actual knowledge of what many AIPP members do. I'd suggest that this is a slightly reckless comment thats based on nothing more than your personal opinion and not based on facts.

Having said that I do applaud your move and would happily support your efforts.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks William, re the aipp membership I guess I formed my opinion using my own personal peer group and others I know, ESP sport shooters and also talking to another aipp organizing person re this during pma, I'm happy to be wrong on this, and obviousy am. You're right in that they probably don't find a home anywhere really, ESP part timers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good reasons to supply a home then

FWIW I do happen to know of a good number of both sports and events shooters who are AIPP members. Doesnt mean everyone is though. And I know of plenty of both sports and events shooters who're members of ACMP as well. Just putting that info out there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea but, 2 things concern me:

1) Fostering this culture of 'you can't trust people these days'

2) your list of approved photographers is really setting you up for serious consequences.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its smells like a private group, similar to a an almost self appointed elitist type group. I googled some of your members and only a few come up working regularly in the press, Kanaris, Schembri , chris cutler and to a smaller extent wroe and theo, these guys seem to be the senior guys on your list who appear in major photo agencies and newspapers / new agencies websites almost every day. Are they doing any of the judging. These would be the guys you should use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A simple question:
    What is the benefit to the part timer to join this org? What recognition can one expect as a member (esp if it's a FB only group which isn't public, and people like me can't see the page)?

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so this is for pro togs, not just ppl who like shooting spot right?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast