Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  66
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: "My 24-105 f4 L Died'

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo is sorry to hear your news Bill. Mongo does not own one of these but would if had canon gear – it is an impressive lens. Whatever happens – do NOT throw it away !!!
    Couple of points:-
    1. Cannot believe canon has no knowledge of this fault – too many have occurred (and no doubt Canon has fixed at least some, if not most of them under warranty or otherwise).
    2. This seems reasonably strongly to Mongo to be a design fault. In an upper end lens which is designed for serious commercial use, its life expectancy should be considerably longer than has been the case with many of these lenses from what Mongo is hearing. A reasonable case to argue that the lens is not fit for the purpose. There appears to be quite a bit of evidence about the same fault in reasonably newish lenses – and that is just the members we know about . Imagine how many more there are we do not know about with the same problem
    3. Whilst Canon deny knowledge of these faults, you might find that by lodging a consumer claim in the appropriate Tribunal and then issuing a summons on Canon to produce certain documents (relating to the repair of these lenses) , they might get nervous and maybe reach an agreement with you in conciliation beforehand rather than have any dirty laundry which may exist, exposed.

Just some thoughts – but what would Mongo know ? After all, you can’t eat it – Mongo has tried.

Hope the outcome is good for you in any event.

PS MOngo has from time to time opened many a lens or camera to repair or modify it for a friend and for himself. So, if all else is lost, you have nothing to lose by trying this.- Seriously
    Last edited by mongo; 16-07-2011 at 11:04am.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should take Mongo to Canon to 'negotiate' for you - make sure he is hungry when you go.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your right Scotty, I was going to say a well versed comment , I think Mongo should write the letter for William , Sounds like Mongo knows what he is talking about
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just decided that a 24-105 Canon lens is one I can do without! Are there similar problems with telephoto zooms?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gabby View Post
    I just decided that a 24-105 Canon lens is one I can do without! Are there similar problems with telephoto zooms?
    I think the opposite, the 24-105L is the Lens I can not do with out, using my 17-55 F2.8 instead, and actually starting to really dislike this lens, mostly the AF is so much slower then the 24-105, which will prompt me to fix the 24-105 sooner then later.
    Last edited by davearnold; 20-07-2011 at 8:20am.
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi William,

Not sure if you've fixed your lens yet, but I had a diaphram problem with my 17-85mm 18 mths ago and had it fixed by www.cameratech.com.au in Brisbane city, cost was $297. I know it's a different, much cheaper lens and maybe a different problem but if I remember correctly the diaphram was replaced.

I also had my camera repaired there recently after I got short thrift from Canon and was very happy with their service. The guy on the phone at Canon had a definite attitude problem.

Good luck with the repairs .
    Last edited by calloyd; 20-07-2011 at 10:16am.
    Carole

Canon 550D|Canon 15-85mm|Canon 70-300mm|Canon 100mm f2.8 macro|50mm f1.8 II|
    Sony NEX 6|Sony 16-50mm| Sony 55-210mm|Sony RX100
    www.carolelloydphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tried to log onto http://www.cameratech.com/ .... oh never mind, just need to add .au to the end.

correct web address is http://www.cameratech.com.au/contact.html in Charlotte street, Brisbane .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about that, after I'd walked away I remembered I'd forgotten the .au

Another senior moment

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davearnold View Post
    Just tried to log onto http://www.cameratech.com/ .... oh never mind, just need to add .au to the end.

correct web address is http://www.cameratech.com.au/contact.html in Charlotte street, Brisbane .
    So are these guys now the Canon rep for warranty work in Brisbane. I was under the impression (according to the camera store) there was no local warranty repairer for Canon and the shop would have to send my gear away for 6 weeks for warranty repair. This included the free yearly sensor clean?
    That would be good, I might just take it in for the free service and sensor clean.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just rang Cameratech (07) 3229 5406

"over the phone quote" $330, turn around time one day .

Although, asked was it a common fault and he said "no, NOT common, but does happen" !!!!!

Considering it .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you told Canon how p^**ed off you are?
    As I said in an earlier post, after letting Canon know what I thought of them, and informing them that on advice from the ACCC my next step was to send a Letter or Demand. Canon asked me to send my 17-85 in to them and they would "see what they could do" as they believed a certain level of customer satisfaction is necessary.

I sent it on Friday, and got a quote back from them on Monday for $190.
    The quote was to replace exactly the same parts that were replaced in March 2010 at a cost of over $300.
    I told them this wasn't good enough, and that I wasn't going to spend any more money on repairs to this lens.
    I am currently waiting for a response.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unistudent1962 View Post
    Have you told Canon how p^**ed off you are?
    As I said in an earlier post, after letting Canon know what I thought of them, and informing them that on advice from the ACCC my next step was to send a Letter or Demand. Canon asked me to send my 17-85 in to them and they would "see what they could do" as they believed a certain level of customer satisfaction is necessary.

I sent it on Friday, and got a quote back from them on Monday for $190.
    The quote was to replace exactly the same parts that were replaced in March 2010 at a cost of over $300.
    I told them this wasn't good enough, and that I wasn't going to spend any more money on repairs to this lens.
    I am currently waiting for a response.
    This is a small example of starting to get results by pressing the right buttons with the correct legal overtones that Mongo was talking about. Would like to see how far this case gets as it may have support for Williams case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    This is a small example of starting to get results by pressing the right buttons with the correct legal overtones that Mongo was talking about. Would like to see how far this case gets as it may have support for Williams case.
    The Customer Service Representative I have been dealing with has assured me he will give me a response by close of business tomorrow.
    I'll post when he does.
    Hopefully it will be positive.
    Last edited by unistudent1962; 20-07-2011 at 9:48pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, was thinking to take my 24-105 in for repair tomorrow.

Thought would put it on the camera just for a last minute check, last time I used it the Error message was prettu much coming up straight away, might take one photo at 24, touch the zoom and error message.

I now have used it on both 450D and 7D for last hour, working perfectly, tried everything to get error, IS on/off AF on/off, 24, 105 and everything in between, even changing focal length during long exposure .......... aaaarrrggghhhhh ........ in some ways wishing it would error..... now feel the need to keep using it and not send it in for repair..... full well knowing it will probably fail at the most critical moment !!!!!

Starting to second guess maybe something else was at fault ...... was using it in light rain, when first got the error ..... did I get moisture in it, that has since dried out ????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the fault with the lens is because of the ribbon cable, the fault can often be intermittent.
    The copper tracks in the cable do have some stretch in them so even if there is a crack in the cable, sometimes the tracks will make contact, and sometimes they won't.
    Sometimes you'll find the lens may work well when it's warm, and stop working when it's cold/dry/wet whatever.
    It's obvious the ribbon cable has not come apart completely, but it is more than likey to stop working when you need it the most!

Age does affect ribbon cables too as the plastic coating gets brittle, then starts to break up, but they should last for 10 years or more if they are made of a good quality material.

I've seen this happen in electronic items where they have become intermittent, and when opening them up, I've seen the ribbon cables have gone hard and brittle and can break up when touched.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davearnold View Post
    Ok, was thinking to take my 24-105 in for repair tomorrow.

Thought would put it on the camera just for a last minute check, last time I used it the Error message was prettu much coming up straight away, might take one photo at 24, touch the zoom and error message.

I now have used it on both 450D and 7D for last hour, working perfectly, tried everything to get error, IS on/off AF on/off, 24, 105 and everything in between, even changing focal length during long exposure .......... aaaarrrggghhhhh ........ in some ways wishing it would error..... now feel the need to keep using it and not send it in for repair..... full well knowing it will probably fail at the most critical moment !!!!!

Starting to second guess maybe something else was at fault ...... was using it in light rain, when first got the error ..... did I get moisture in it, that has since dried out ????
    After reading this , I just tried mine again, Nah ! Only works at 24mm , Soon as I zoom ERR99 , Might give those guys a ring now , Will report back - Bill

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    William thanks Mongo for his help and advice, Just sitting waiting to see Uni's response from Canon - Bill

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep , Just rang these guys http://http://www.cameratech.com.au/contact.html , Quote $330 For a new Diaphram , Which has the ribbon attached to it , He said it does'nt need Recalibrating with the fault I have He can replace the Diaphram assembly without moving the Lens elements , Mine still works perfectly at 24mm, Andersons $350, And it gets Calibrated ???, Which way would you go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was there while you rang , i think William

Might even have mine back this afternoon.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For $20 I would go Andersons and get it calibrated at the same time, even though the others say it does not need it.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast