Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  66
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "My 24-105 f4 L Died'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I'm waiting to see what happens , Good on you Dave, being a Motor Mechanic by Trade , Looks a little fiddly for me , Looks like a lot of little parts to dissassemble to me I'm guessing you dont need a Torque Wrench or a Rattle gun
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol... to Mechanic .....I was basing this on my previous experiance of rebuilding cars .... which I have not done for a long time. ... but it did look logical in the way it came apart, would be a matter of clearly labelling and numbering every bit as you pulled it a apart, so lots of small snap lock bags.

I agree it looks fiddly, why I want a practise lens first .... usually "fiddly" means special tools and as with working on cars it will come down to having the correct tools, to make the job as painless as possible !
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi William

Same happened to my 24-105....the ribbon band to the power diaphragm cracked. Apparently it cracked after being stretched through zooming so many times. That's why it will still work wide open.

I took mine to Anderson's at Capalaba, they sent it to Sydney, a week later I am $359 poorer.

Cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by Big Ren; 13-07-2011 at 5:16pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ren View Post
    Hi William

Same happened to my 24-105....the ribbon band to the power diaphragm cracked. Apparently it cracked after being stretched through zooming so many times. That's why it will still work wide open.

I took mine to Anderson's at Capalaba, they sent it to Sydney, a week later I am $359 poorer.

Cheers
    Paul
    Thanks Paul, How long ago was that ? The price is right
    Last edited by William; 13-07-2011 at 5:21pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Thanks Mark for that info did you send the letter of demand ? after Scottys comment about there attitude to the problem , I was going to see if something could be done as well , So have we got a legal %#$@ , Ooops were not aloud to talk about that
    I was in the process of drafting a letter of demand today, when out of the blue I received the following response to the original email I sent to Canon on the 29/5/11.

Good Afternoon,

I am sorry to learn of the issues you are experiencing with your Canon product. I have confirmed through our records that your lens was previously submitted in February 2010 under service request XXXXXX, and the work carried out/completed in March 2010. All repairs undertaken by Canon Australia are backed by a 6 month rework warranty, which unfortunately has elapsed some time ago. That said, we do recognise the need for an element of customer service regardless of the facts, and it is with this in mind that I would request an opportunity to assess your lens. Once an inspection has been carried out, I will be in a better position to facilitate a resolution for you.

At least it is a response, if not an actual acknowledgement that there is a known problem.
    I'm not sure how many businesses would get away with taking over 6 weeks to reply to an email though!!
    Last edited by unistudent1962; 13-07-2011 at 9:31pm.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just last week Bill, so the price will be the same. I live on the sunny Coast so was happy enough to drive down drop it off and pick it up. The bloke I spoke to there was mark....very helpful.

Cheers
    Paul

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Paul, Just wondering wether they mentioned anything about the IS motor as well , Seems Jules had two faults in hers , Put it this way , Was yours making a intermittent buzzing sound as well ? - Bill

PS : Just gave Andersons a ring , And got an Estimate of $350, They can fix it there , But they send it away to get Calibrated , Thanks for the info Paul, The price is looking a lot better
    Last edited by William; 14-07-2011 at 11:12am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Paul, Just wondering wether they mentioned anything about the IS motor as well , Seems Jules had two faults in hers , Put it this way , Was yours making a intermittent buzzing sound as well ? - Bill
    No noise from the IS Bill, but as soon as the Error 1 message came up on my 7D, I did a little googling and found a common theme between this lens and cracked ribbon bands. I now have a six month warranty on the repair work and the lens has been faultless since, touch wood. I still think it is an awesome lens though

Cheers
    Paul

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How old are these lenses when they breakdown? Would buying the 3 year extended warranty be wothwhile at $180 when you buy one of these lenses?
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Graham, From what I can tell from comments and reading , Around the 4 to 4 1/2 yr mark , Mine is just 4

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the extended warranty would be a waste of money, keep it to pay for the repairs.
    Bit sad that such a good lens is so prone to the problem.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    So the extended warranty would be a waste of money, keep it to pay for the repairs.
    Bit sad that such a good lens is so prone to the problem.
    My thought exactly , i would have thought an "L" Lens would go longer than that All the rest of my kit lens are OK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think extended warranty's are always a waste of money. They cover no more than your statutory rights already do.

This is prob why they offer them. They sucker the consumer into paying for the rights they already have.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS : Just gave Andersons a ring , And got an Estimate of $350, They can fix it there , But they send it away to get Calibrated , Thanks for the info Paul, The price is looking a lot better
    Good stuff Bill. Yep, they were really good to deal with and you can track the job's progress through a simple phone call.

Bit more background to my lens. I've just graduated up from the 350D and kit lenses to the 7D and this lens. I had only just bought it off the Bay for mid 900s and thought I had a real bargain until after only a dozen actuations I got the dreaded Error 1. I thought it was the 7D for a moment (bought around the same time through DigitalRev). The lens came from an online store (through the Bay) in Victoria and had been used for indoor cattle auction photography only (apparently). But I don't know how old the lens is though.

I guess I am still in front at the end of the day.......well for the moment anyway.

Hope you get it all sorted Bill. Is that the lens you get all your great sunrise shots with?

Cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by Big Ren; 14-07-2011 at 2:06pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i was just starting to get a few with the 24-105, But My main Lens for Sunrises is the Sigma 10-20 , But I do have a mission that I was embarking on , A Project that the 24-105 was needed for , Looks like it is on hold now , Till I dig up some money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's only money.....I am learning fast to embrace this concept they call debt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davearnold View Post
    I am actually thinking I might be game to have a go at fixing mine myself, looking for a similar broken lens to practise on, just to make sure I have the tools to do it, which I think would/could be the biggest challenge, followed closely by keeping everthing clean, dust free etc while it is apart, maybe lots of snap lock bages

Oh and actuially getting the replacement part could be a issue, Larry where did you get that price for the part from?

Cheers Dave
    Hi David, I found the price from this site:

http://www.cameraspareparts.co.uk/po...usm-1131-p.asp

Cheers
    Be happy, life is beautiful, even through a humble point and shoot camera
    Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davearnold View Post
    I am actually thinking I might be game to have a go at fixing mine myself, looking for a similar broken lens to practise on, just to make sure I have the tools to do it, which I think would/could be the biggest challenge, followed closely by keeping everthing clean, dust free etc while it is apart, maybe lots of snap lock bages

Oh and actuially getting the replacement part could be a issue, Larry where did you get that price for the part from?

Cheers Dave
    Have a look at this Dave , Think I'll leave it to the experts Remember I said "Fiddley" Well thats an understatement

I like the sound Track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9y-Bt-gv90

Cheers Bill -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be no problem Bill, only took 3 min 10 secs to pull apart. If you have the new part ready you should finish the repairs in under 10 mins!
    Andrew

Mostly Canon gear

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the screw drivers and pliers, But I think I would need to lay the parts out in a more orderly way than that guy

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast