Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "My 24-105 f4 L Died'

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Nasty! And yes, that does sound expensive. I googled it a bit and I'm seeing typical repair costs around $US150 - so where did the $600 come from?
    This is Australia.

To quote former Prime Minister Keating, Australia is the arse-end of the earth.

We get gouged here for everything.

A few years ago I had some batteries leak in my Canon Speedlite 580EX flash.

The flash itself cost around $650. Canon wanted $450 to repair it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What gets me is all my old kit lens , Still work fine , It's a pity , The 24-105 delivers an impressive image , Just a bloody ribbon problem , probably a dry solder joint !!
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    For a start they wont acknowledge it !! I asked today (Canon Sydney that is) they have no knowledge of this fault on their records , I say bul#sh%t Scotty can you remember where you got your's fixed for that price ? ps ; dont panic to much !!!! you say
    I find this quite remarkable, that they can just hide behind the comment that they have no knowledge of this fault. One wonders sometimes about the corporate ethos, Not unlike the one that got Rupert Murdock and his news of the world in trouble, the japanese with their heads in the sand attitude about the nuclear reactors, Mitsubishi with their did not know we had problems a few years back.
    Someone ought to put together something about this lens and the issue and send it to the ACCC. If I owned one, and I don't then perhaps I would in an attempt to get some preemptive action.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That price is looking a lot better Bill, I will keep my fingers crossed for you (and for my 24-105 that it doesn't go down this path)
    Andrew

Mostly Canon gear

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought this might interest a few on this site with a 24-105 f4 L , A PDU unit and ribbon I guess $420
    Attached Images Attached Images

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the offending part from a 16-35 f2.8 L , PDU and ribbon , not the sort of ribbon i was thinking about
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by William; 12-07-2011 at 12:55pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the problem is with a failed PDU (Power Diaphragm Unit) and also the problem is common with 24-105 Lens, does it mean that this lens uses different PDU or similar problem can happens to other canon lens equally?

I just find the cost for a new PDU for 24/105 L4 is £36.99
    Last edited by larrywen; 12-07-2011 at 1:43pm.
    Be happy, life is beautiful, even through a humble point and shoot camera
    Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larrywen View Post
    If the problem is with a failed PDU (Power Diaphragm Unit) and also the problem is common with 24-105 Lens, does it mean that this lens uses different PDU or similar problem can happens to other canon lens equally?

I just find the cost for a new PDU for 24/105 L4 is £36.99
    That would be English Pounds I guess Larry, Larry I dont know what you do for a living , but any chance you could fit It , if you had one ?
    Last edited by William; 12-07-2011 at 2:05pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I dropped my lens in to be fixed. They estimated $400 but looking further into it found the IS had gone as well which then bought the cost up to $594.00. Bill I hope you can get out of it cheaper but the IS on yours sounds to be gone as well. That humming sound didn't come into mine until a few days later. Fingers crossed you can get it fixed cheaper. He guy said the aperture mechanism and the IS went on mine. He asked if I had dropped it....NOOOOO!
    Thanks for looking....Cheers,
    Julie-Anne / Julie / Jules / Julesy / JAS

MY ..... MY BLOG..... Feel free to look.
    Canon 40D / 24-105mm L IS / 70-200mm L IS / 75-300mm / 50mm 1.8 / Sigma 10-20mm / Manfrotto tripod / Bits and pieces to fill the bag.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jules for that , "NOT" If that was the case , I'd rather do without the IS If they could disable it, I like the lens for the image quality, I can hand hold easily at 1/15th sec ,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you told them what it was doing, surely they would know. You might be right.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys have me nervously looking over at my 24-105 now.

What will be will be.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    For a start they wont acknowledge it !! I asked today (Canon Sydney that is) they have no knowledge of this fault on their records
    It's surprising to me that Canon ostensibly will not acknowledge a fault which, seemingly, is quite common, when only a few years ago it very publicly acknowledge a fault with the mirror glue in the EOS 5D and provided free replacements (edit: of the mirror, not the entire camera), even for cameras out of warranty (which mine was, at the time).

In my experience (having owned six Canon cameras and 16 Canon lenses), Canon doesn't tend to experience product defects very often.

Unfortunately, this is not the first problem with the 24-105/4L IS.

There was a well-publicised lens flare issue back in 2006 or so. From memory, Canon replaced faulty units.

In 2005 I had a 24-105/4L IS (I bought it on the first day it was released), but I never experienced flare with it, and the person to whom I sold it in 2008 never came back to me with any reports of flare.

Let's hope that Canon doesn't keep proclaiming the emperor to be fully dressed, as it's clear that the error your lens developed is not an isolated or terribly restricted case.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 12-07-2011 at 5:39pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johnno, I got the same treatment. My emails directing them to discussions online about it were never even acknowledge as received and phone calls never returned.

This company has demonstrated just how deaf and blind it can be when it wants to be so...

Then again, the reason I chose a Canon DSLR over Nikoff is that is precisely what they told me to do a few years back when a P&S camera, a few days out of warranty suffered what was also found out to be a widespread known fault.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    This company has demonstrated just how deaf and blind it can be when it wants to be so...

Then again, the reason I chose a Canon DSLR over Nikoff is that is precisely what they told me to do a few years back when a P&S camera, a few days out of warranty suffered what was also found out to be a widespread known fault.
    That sort of service must be disappointing.

I've dealt with Canon twice and never had a problem. Its head office is close to me, so it was convenient enough to drop the item into the service desk.

No issues with service; the visits were just costly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the 24-105 sold it a while back six months later had the buyer on the phone same problem.
    Photoshop CS4 and lightroom 2 (lI know a little bit but am learning )
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated
    Feel free to re work my images, just please let me know what you did, and how you did it so I can learn
    Stu .
    my website
    my gallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    That sort of service must be disappointing.

I've dealt with Canon twice and never had a problem. Its head office is close to me, so it was convenient enough to drop the item into the service desk.

No issues with service; the visits were just costly.
    I too made the short trip to Waterloo Rd, North Ryde. That made no difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an article about how to fix a lens. It doesn't look very difficult but maybe need to practice on some cheap lens first.

http://canonrepair.files.wordpress.c...is_repair1.pdf

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Larry, I'd say , Wise words of wisdom, ( Practice on a cheap lens first) , Thanks for the reply , I was hoping you were going to tell me you used to be a lens technician or something
    Last edited by William; 13-07-2011 at 11:03am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am actually thinking I might be game to have a go at fixing mine myself, looking for a similar broken lens to practise on, just to make sure I have the tools to do it, which I think would/could be the biggest challenge, followed closely by keeping everthing clean, dust free etc while it is apart, maybe lots of snap lock bages

Oh and actuially getting the replacement part could be a issue, Larry where did you get that price for the part from?

Cheers Dave
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast