Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  28
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sydney antics

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote " When I tutor, I am constantly undermined by uni students. All I can do is be better - I am 'better enough' as I have all the work I want despite charging double.

It's all about competition... Unfortunately, you are competing in a shrinking market."

I agree with this statement 100% - i am a teacher ( casual at the moment due to making a sea change and lack there of full time teachers here on the north coast ). And i make more money out of tutoring after hours then i do mon to fri ( 9am to 3.30pm) , and yes i fight with uni students and yr 12 students offering their services in the tutoring field.

I am interested in what kiwi said about the super 15 rugby and the number of togs their. I was at origin 3 all be it in the extreme nose bleed section, but i could see that there was at least 30 toggs on the sideline, i wondered where in hell do all their pics go...???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick point, professional attitude means they charge for what they do as do I.
    Thanks Steve
    Winer of the sheep week 2 + 6
    www.atkimages.com.au "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough," ROBERT CAPA"
    Tokina 16-28 f2.8 PRO FX,Sigma 500 4.5 Ex DG, Canon 5D Mii, Canon 7D, Canon 2x converter,Canon 70-200 2.8 L,
    Sigma 120-300 2.8 EX, Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX, Canon 1.4x converter, Canon 580 ex 2 speed light
    And two canon kit Lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was one of those 24 photographers at origin and all my pictures went to one magazine. There was getty and AP who provide to wire news services, action photos who are the official nrl photographers and also provide to press and other magazines and then there were newspaper photographers for courier mail and Sydney morning herald. There was a girl there with a kit lens basically and I'm not sure what that was about. I'm not sure how many photos will be used in actual print overall, perhaps 100? Altogether. Hard to know.

I know when I shoot for media I'm happy if they run just one photo.
    Last edited by kiwi; 14-07-2011 at 7:40pm.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oopsie double post
    Last edited by kiwi; 14-07-2011 at 7:40pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shelley, I am not having a personal dig.

I find the fact that teachers would be in on such a stunt to be completely idiodical. I say this as a photojournalist, yes that is my title as listed with the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance and on such membership card, and yes I practice both photography and journalism for printed media (just to clarify).

I firmly believe this is the sort of actions that has the photography industry rated not much higher than car salesmen, as you are not the only one to do this and unfortunately won't be the last.

I would like to see more people prepared to adopt the code of ethics of either the AIPP, ACMP, MEAA, this way there may be a chance the image could improve. Even if only as a personal thing. If you don't wish to join a professional body doesn't mean that we can not read and adopt their Codes of Ethics/Conduct.

I have not read every post in this topic and wont comment on the accreditation issue except to say "if you have a legitimate reason to be there apply for credentials, if not enjoy watching from the stands".
    Last edited by Dave Clifford; 14-07-2011 at 8:01pm.
    ------------------------------------
    Cheers
    David

'If you wish to edit an image Please ask first"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I will put my 2 cents worth in on the whole accreditation, shooting events path of this thread.

How many photographers here hold public liability, professional indemnity and camera equipment insurance specific to their photography?

How many photographers here would be prepared and capable of attending an event and be able to supply a dozen images fully processed, captioned and uploaded to the end user within 30-45 mins of the event concluding? or even upload images on a regular basis during a match or event? an example of this would be during the tennis this year I was shooting on center court and I was approached by the organisers and asked if I could get some action shots of a young player on another court, when I got down there they were two games from the end of the match. I basically had 8 points to get the shots (luckily for me they were two very drawn out games ;-)

How many photographers here would be prepared to st out, with their equipment in pouring rain or blazing sunshine?

This may sound elitist, but the truth is, this is the sort of things you need to think about before even looking at applying for accreditation.

Next comes, where are my images going to be used? do I have a legitimate media / team / organisation outlet for the images.

If and when these questions have been answered, then apply through the required manner.

If you are serious about wanting to be an accredited photographer at a function /event / sport then have a look for someone who does the sort of work your interested in and build up a dialogue with them. You will be surprised at much assistance / knowledge you will gain from doing this than just talking your way into a spot and hoping for the best.

But, at the end of the day, IF a person has the credentials hanging around their neck I don't see any point in us complaining, as Steve has said, the people approving the applications have their reasons and the person has been approved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said DC.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure where this thread has gone and no offense taken. It was not a dig at professionals, just some harmless fun and I am sure you all have done something spur of the moment, wasnt really thinking about professionals out there- sorry. But I do love to have a bit of fun before I die.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oopsy, bit too much wine on my last night in beautiful Sydney. I will go back to my bird threads now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh, what you did was pretty harmless I reckon.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Words are amazing things. If Shelley had said something like "I'm trying to get a photographers job at the S.M.H. ..............", I'll bet she would have got the same photo, and this interesting thread may not have happened.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit keen for a job in the media, anyone care to give me a crash course in phone tapping ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I'm a bit keen for a job in the media, anyone care to give me a crash course in phone tapping ?
    Art, your asking for trouble with that one
    Chris

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I should go find a pommy forum to ask for help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask Rupert?
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123