Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what makes a portrait a portrait

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of candids have eye contact.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purely from a language perspective, I'd like to offer the following definitions from the Free Online Dictionary:

por·trait (pôrtrt, -trt, pr-)
    n.
    1. A likeness of a person, especially one showing the face, that is created by a painter or photographer, for example.
    2. A verbal picture or description, especially of a person.
    adj.
    Of or relating to the orientation of a page such that the longer side runs from top to bottom.
    [French, from Old French, image, from past participle of portraire, to portray; see portray.]
    por·tray (pôr-tr, pr-)
    tr.v. por·trayed, por·tray·ing, por·trays
    1. To depict or represent pictorially; make a picture of.
    2. To depict or describe in words.
    3. To represent dramatically, as on the stage.
    From the original root of these two words I glean that it is possible to portray almost anything, even inanimate objects such as buildings (def. 1). However, a Portrait is traditionally a likeness of a person.

I don't think that means you cannot attempt to portray any living thing in a similar way to a person; showing specific characteristics or traits. In that case you could end up with a portrait in the informal sense of displaying a trait or traits of the subject.

trait (trt)
    n.
    1. A distinguishing feature, as of a person's character. See Synonyms at quality.
    2. A genetically determined characteristic or condition: a recessive trait.
    a. A stroke with or as if with a pencil.
    b. A slight degree or amount, as of a quality; a touch or trace: a sermon with a trait of humor.
    [Middle English, shot, from Old French, something drawn, shot, from Latin tractus, a drawing out, line; see tract1.]
    Bottom Line: For me the formal term "Portrait" applies to depictions of people that attempt to display some individually unique characteristic or other trait, but that it is also possible to have an informal "portrait" of any living thing capable of displaying individually unique characteristics or traits. I know, I know; I've probably just confused the heck out of you Nikkie but I hope not. Great question, though!
    Last edited by WhoDo; 17-07-2011 at 11:38am.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Photographer Extraordinaire
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider this as a portrait, even though it is not human, I still think it portrays the personality of this beautiful creature.

The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera - Anonymous

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm although there is the dictionary meaning its a lot wider range to one's self I am now guessing each to there own. So one person may think it so beautiful you could frame it and put on your wall while the next one might not bother or just keep it in an album someplace. I hear the word portrait and right away in my head I get a vision of a set up photo taken in a studio that is 100% perfect with no flaws. Like Jim said
    My first reaction was "it's obvious!" but the more you think about it the less obvious it gets.
    and that is why I asked I almost did not ask this because it also seemed like a silly Question but thought if I don't ask I wont know.From what I see here we all have our own point of view I guess a portrait comes down to this Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder we all see through different eyes. Like Noddy is showing us he see's as a beautiful creature others may not. The beauty I see in an Old Holden motor car or a old fallen down abandon building may not be seen beauty to all but I am more likely to put up on my wall. I would like to thank each and every one of you wonderful people for putting in your input when I made the post I was expecting one simple answer but the answer really its the beauty of viewer that makes it a portrait a portrait worthy of framing putting on your wall. Thanks to all
    All experts were once beginners

Nikon D3100 18 55 kit lens Nikon 35 mm Nikon 70 300mm optex tripod

MWAH! Sandy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12