Hi,

I'm in Newcastle at he moment.

I had some free time this PM so, I rocked up to the Newcastle Ocean Baths at around 4:30 to see if I could catch a few surfers. As the tide was half out by then, I didn't expect any huge wave action.

I was wrong, the seas were HUGE.

Not a single surfer was out (sensible) and, as the waves were crashing over into the baths, I thought I'd stick to the safety of the ocean baths.

For those of you who don't know the area. The baths normal level are a few inches below the pool deck which runs up a gradual slope for about 6 feet until a sheer wall of 4 or 5 feet. From there, another gentle slope for about 4 metres until the change rooms. Got it?

Well, at the top of this sheer wall, are a few benches, upon which I put my bag.

And took a few picks of the water gently surging from the pool unto the wall (about 4-5 feet below) where it was only just touching the wall.

Then, the water seemed to recede back into the pool so, I went down the side ramp that leads to the pool deck. Wary of the possible return of the water, I stayed at the bottom of the ramp (ready to retreat).

Well, lucky I did, after a few minutes, while I was busy looking through the viewfinder. A massive wave came up. By the time I noticed it, it was pounding over the top of the pool. I ran for it back up the ramp but, the water beat me. By the time I was half way up, I was knee deep in bubbling water.

Luckily, another guy with a camera had seen it, noticed my bag and grabbed it - saving it from near certain doom. He gave it back and before I could properly thank him, disappeared.

Anyway, the seat the bag was on was totally inundated by the splash coming over the wall.

Thankfully, the main surge didn't reach overtop the wall (though only by a few inches), but a huge volume of splash did causing (a bit of) water the enter the change room (only just).

I consider myself very lucky.

It was several minutes later that I noticed, in the excitement, I had bumped the focus switch to manual, so most of my shots are badly oof. When I get home Sunday, I'll see what turns out.

Scotty