Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is in your "standard" kit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is in your "standard" kit?

This is the scenario... A day long event which will extend into the early evening. Indoor and outdoor. Lots of people - men, women and children, dressed in costume, amongst a lot of people who aren't. There are also birds and other animals. Opportunity for "set up" portraits and also fast paced action shots. You have to carry your own gear for the entire entire event. (Think Medieval Tournament )

Your base is a Canon EOS 350D body. What else do you take? If you have plenty of forewarning, do you upgrade your body, and if so, to what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how many $ are involved ?

Personally

I'd have two bodies, 24-70, 70-200 and 50 1.4 and 20 2.8 and 1,4 TC in the bag, two flashes and backup batteries for everything and about 20GB of CF cards. About $12000 worth of gear

But its not what I have, its what you have that counts
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the body/ies you use will be less important than the lenses. Agree with Kiwi above.

If this is a paid gig and you are the sole photographer employed to cover this then the list of equipment will be long.

Minimum 2 bodies, preferably 3, same with flashes. at least 4 sets of batteries per flash, 4 batteries per body. Memory cards dependent on whether you are shooting raw or jpeg. I would double Kiwi and take 40gb. If by "set up" portraits you mean static place with background etc then a tripod would be adviseable.

Lenses - same opinion as Kiwi, maybe add or substitute in a 17-55.

Again if this is a paid gig and you are solely responsible make sure you have backups for everything.
    Vince

Space; The Final Frontier

C & C encouraged on all images

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how to edit my post, so I'll add some more information here...

Let's say that you're an advanced beginner, ie you know how to hold the camera and how it's basic functions work and this isn't a paid gig, just something for your own fun and to try to further yourself / learning exercise.

What about a grip? What kind of flash/es? Would you take a tripod or a monopod?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the Abbey Medieval Festival

I took two lenses, 70-200 F2.8 ( borrowed) and 17-55 F2.8, only went for one day, two bodies 7D and 450D and second shooter (my 16 yr old daughter, who took NO photos )

Ideas was to swap halfway through the day and have daughter with other camera lens for when needed, but the 70-200 sort of gave me enough range for most photo opportunities, and after I packed 450 and 17-55 into bag when it was obvious was not going to get used, it did not come back out, should of changed to wider lens for a walk around of the tents, gypsy area, but didn't and probably missed some photos because of that.

Next year, hope to have 70-300 L by then, and will take that and the 17-55 and only the 7D (may or may not take daughter )

Glass is more important then bodies, and would upgrade to some quality lens's first, what Lens's do you currently have?

It is a long day, and the less weighth you carry the better.

Cheers Dave
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davearnold View Post
    Sounds like the Abbey Medieval Festival
    What gave it away?

...two bodies 7D and 450D
    Did you buy your 7D after the 450D as an upgrade?

Glass is more important then bodies, and would upgrade to some quality lens's first, what Lens's do you currently have?
    I still only have the "kit" lenses - Canon EFS 18-55mm, Canon EF 75-300mm. I'm never quite sure what else I should get. I'm thinking about a nifty fifty at the moment, but I don't feel like my gear was right for the Abbey day. That's why I started this thread.

It is a long day, and the less weighth you carry the better.
    Have to agree with that! I took my 350D, two lenses, a spare battery and a couple of cards and I had to get MisterdS to carry the bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded to the 7D for the better AF as was ( and still hoping to do more wildlife) and wanted more MP's as would possibly be some serious cropping involved.

For the Medieval Festival the 450D would have been fine.

I would be looking at what your over all photography needs are, and not buy lens's for just one event, maybe look at hiring one for the weekend as a option next year if you have not upgraded lens's before then.

I was using a 24-105L F4 for a long time as a walk around lens, until it broke and if i was only taking one lens, that would be the lens of choice for me, but you would miss out on some reach for the birds, and jousting etc.

Probalby to decide on what is the best lens for the day, from your experiance what focal length did you use the most, and going through your photos you did take, the photos you are most happy with what focal length were they taken at?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id probably take my 400 2.8 too, just to look the part around Allan and co

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BAsed on the information given, I would be inclined to just have the 1 body and possibly the Tamron 18-270 lens. It's not high quality glass but is more than adequate for what you have described and means that you do not have to purchase mulitple lenses to cover the same range. Maybe a 430 ex flash and i would go with a monopod (especially if using the 18-270 and its extreme zoom length).

A comfortable shoulder strap eg Black Rapid to take the pressure off of the neck, and then has been said spare batteries and memry cards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a 50mm prime, 50 1.8 and 50 1.4 and see how you go. If you are doing it for fun keep it simple.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If learning I'd take everything to learn really, get a pack horse

Tripods are dangerous, monopods are useful if you have a 70-200 or bigger and can't handhold for long times

Ettl speedlights with off camera capabilities

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shooting for fun. From your kit I would take the 350D and the 18-55.

I wouldn't be upgrading anything for a specific event if I was just shooting for fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James T View Post
    Shooting for fun. From your kit I would take the 350D and the 18-55.

I wouldn't be upgrading anything for a specific event if I was just shooting for fun.
    No, but it makes a good excuse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    No, but it makes a good excuse
    Of course.

I was meaning more, I wouldn't base an upgrade on a single event if it wasn't a matter of getting paid or not.

Rather, I would base it on more general shooting and what I felt was lacking in my gear over the past X-period of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course.

I was meaning more, I wouldn't base an upgrade on a single event if it wasn't a matter of getting paid or not.

Rather, I would base it on more general shooting and what I felt was lacking in my gear over the past X-period of time.
    Agree, I would get the Lens upgrade you can use best on a day to day basis, and make it work for any events you go too.

With the lens's you have what are you finding the limitations are, what is the main type of photography you do?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, I would get the Lens upgrade you can use best on a day to day basis, and make it work for any events you go too.

With the lens's you have what are you finding the limitations are, what is the main type of photography you do?
    I just don't know. I took a tonne of pictures at the Medieval Tournament (I keep banging on about that because it's the first "event" I've been to in a really long time, and the first opportunity that I've taken to photograph something that wasn't just "snapshotting" my cats), but I was -so- disappointed when I got home. I took some with both lenses and they just don't seem to have the sharpness of images I see around. No doubt it has more to do with my lack of skill, but I thought there may be a lens (or some other equipment) that more seasoned photographers believe is a "must have" in even the most basic kit. I caught a thread here the other day about the "nifty fifty" and there were a lot of comments about how it's an invaluable piece.

I haven't seriously practiced in a pretty long time. I live in a very rural area, so I've driven around in the past and snapped on things that seemed interesting. I try to take pictures of my cats, dogs and horses, but I find animals quite hard. Anyone else find that? I went through a stage of taking a tonne of macro type shots of flowers. I would love to take pictures of people, but not really portraiture.. more like casual, natural type ones. I took a few of my nieces and nephew in the park, but I felt like everything was wrong, ie lighting etc, and I didn't really feel confident in what I was doing. I'm also stupidly shy, so I try to capture people from a distance. This may have led to some of the disappointment at my pictures from the Tournament, because I was mostly too shy to ask people.

I guess I'm just extremely unconfident (is that a word?).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BecdS View Post
    I just don't know. I took a tonne of pictures at the Medieval Tournament (I keep banging on about that because it's the first "event" I've been to in a really long time, and the first opportunity that I've taken to photograph something that wasn't just "snapshotting" my cats), but I was -so- disappointed when I got home. I took some with both lenses and they just don't seem to have the sharpness of images I see around. No doubt it has more to do with my lack of skill, but I thought there may be a lens (or some other equipment) that more seasoned photographers believe is a "must have" in even the most basic kit. I caught a thread here the other day about the "nifty fifty" and there were a lot of comments about how it's an invaluable piece.

I haven't seriously practiced in a pretty long time. I live in a very rural area, so I've driven around in the past and snapped on things that seemed interesting. I try to take pictures of my cats, dogs and horses, but I find animals quite hard. Anyone else find that? I went through a stage of taking a tonne of macro type shots of flowers. I would love to take pictures of people, but not really portraiture.. more like casual, natural type ones. I took a few of my nieces and nephew in the park, but I felt like everything was wrong, ie lighting etc, and I didn't really feel confident in what I was doing. I'm also stupidly shy, so I try to capture people from a distance. This may have led to some of the disappointment at my pictures from the Tournament, because I was mostly too shy to ask people.

I guess I'm just extremely unconfident (is that a word?).
    Firstly, can't really comment on gear I shot with one of the other's. It is possible that your images may not be as sharp for lack of experience or just because they are not the photos you expected from your day. You say this is the first event so a question I would ask is Did you have fun? Many people have told me the key to getting better is take what you learn from your experience and practise and build from there.

I would say try to take photos of many different things around your rural area, moving and stationery objects don't be picky with what you photo just photo for the sake of it and CC yourself, ask what could you have done to get it this way or that (hope you get the jist) an instructor told me once that whilst learning she took photos of a coffee mug in all different situations and lined up many and played with DOF and all. You will improve by just getting out and taking photos then the confidence builds and you find things slot into place.

Put some pictures up on AP for CC and see what happens. I for one would like to see some of your work. Keep at it and it will come for you
    Kassy
    Nikon D700
    CC Welcome and Appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

Interesting question, I have shot this event in an official capacity for 3 years running now and can give you this advice. I realise the event is over, but it's on again next year and will give you a year to practice and save for new gear. At a minimum:

1 body, 5D2 is very versatile as the light changes dramatically and high ISO will be needed.
    2 lenses, 70-200 will get you many of the event shots in the bigger arenas and also doubles as a great portrait lens, and a 16-35 or similar for wider "full view" of scenes, etc.

A longer lens like a 300 or 400 can be great at the joust and the castle arena. a macro can also be useful for portraits and still life scenes or close-ups of the weapons, armor, etc. Remember, you don't need to buy the gear up front, go to a camera hire place and hire the lens to see if you like it and fits your shooting style.

But whatever you decide to take remember, you will need to carry it ALL day as there are no lockers for general public.

My kit: 1D3, 5D2, 100 2.8L macro, 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L, 600 4L, a few speedlights, tripod (for 600), monopod (everything else), spare batteries, and 3x16GB CF cards, these are emptied at lunch and end of day as time permits, laptop.

To see some of the shots from this year (haven't finished uploading yet) : http://allannielsenphotography.com/abbey_2011

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you just need to get shooting more.

Have you thought about meeting up with a more experienced photographer(s) to go shooting? Personally I don't like shooting with others, but I know some people love to, and learn a lot from it.

I realise that's probably tough living in a rural area, but perhaps could be worth looking out for an AP meet in the nearest town/city to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you just need to get shooting more.

Have you thought about meeting up with a more experienced photographer(s) to go shooting? Personally I don't like shooting with others, but I know some people love to, and learn a lot from it.

I realise that's probably tough living in a rural area, but perhaps could be worth looking out for an AP meet in the nearest town/city to you.
    Excellent response that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast