User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Anyone know a good source for a light activated shutter?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know a good source for a light activated shutter?

I'm thinking of playing around with light activated shutter releases or flash activators, but I'm finding them scarce on the ground.

Has anyone purchased one of late, or know of somewhere I can buy one at a reasonable price?

Ideally I'd like to activate the shutter by having an object pass through a light beam - or even better a crossed beam so that the trigger is a given point in space.

You can buy kits that look like they'd do it, but I don't know much about electronics and voltages etc.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what camera brand, and what kind of budget constraint.

I understand that budget constraints can vary wildly from person to person .. so $100 .. $300?.. $1K

I recently stumbled upon a very interesting sounding solution for this type of remote assistance for Nikon, if you are interested.
    But the software involved is currently only for Nikon, and add to that certain Nikon models, not all!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    what camera brand, and what kind of budget constraint.
    I was thinking more in a generic way, given that the only camera specific bit I could think of was the actual plug to the camera - but I have Canons. Budget wise ..... I guess it depends on how sophisticated it is - ideally I'd like it to have variable delay so as to adjust and fine tune the results (depending on the speed of the object). Maybe up to $200 or so, but preferably cheaper as it's only really a plaything.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no what I had in mind was a piece of PC software that you tether your camera too, and the sensors(of almost unlimited scope) then easily attach via USB/wireless connection to the PC.

The software is the controlling force, controlling the actions of the sensors and subsequently the camera.

I thought it sounded ideal for sufferers of electrophobia.

So then, on the more usual route, I'm sure there must be some type of kit that would be of help.
    Until someone else posts a reply, have a look on the Jaycar website for photography related kits and pieces... I think they even have some of their kits already made up.

As you are only as far as Blackburn, you could even find yourself in the situation where someone may even volunteer to build a possible kit if it required assembly.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    no what I had in mind was a piece of PC software
    I thought it sounded ideal for sufferers of electrophobia.
    An interesting idea, but alas not really suitable for a lot of situations.

So then, on the more usual route, I'm sure there must be some type of kit that would be of help.
    Until someone else posts a reply, have a look on the Jaycar website for photography related kits and pieces... I think they even have some of their kits already made up.

As you are only as far as Blackburn, you could even find yourself in the situation where someone may even volunteer to build a possible kit if it required assembly.
    Actually, that was where I ended up after Googling the whole thing. I even bought their catalogue which contains a zillion useful ideas. The problem was, when I asked the staff if the kits might be useful, they said they were not allowed to comment. I guess they fear the results when an untrained novice starts soldering things together!

I'm working my way through the kits - maybe I can adapt something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First type of pre-made kit that comes to mind is the 'Time Machine'. ( http://www.bmumford.com/photo/ )

They have accessories available including:
    - Laser Optical Sensor
    - Laser Sensor for Crossed Beams
    - Infrared Beam Sensor
    - Infrared Beam Sensor for Crossed Beams
    ... etc
    Matt.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    First type of pre-made kit that comes to mind is the 'Time Machine'. ( http://www.bmumford.com/photo/ )
    Now *that* would be a nice setup! It's got the lot! Pity about the price - by the time you add the sensors and cables it starts to look a tad costly. Nice setup though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bob
    I have this: http://www.universaltimer.com/ along with 2 flash triggers, a laser sensor, & microphone sensor
    It works really well, it can trigger the shutter or flash or both depending on what you want to do

if using for high speed photography the camera must be used in bulb mode in complete darkness (popping balloons etc)
    the laser sensor detects an interruption in the beam from any cheap laser pointer

other accessories are also available including light sensors & extension cables
    its just the thing for rainy days in the garage/studio
    I think I've spent about AU$ 250.00 all up which I think is cheaper than the" time machine" also available

Bryan
    Bryan

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B D H View Post
    Hi Bob
    I have this: http://www.universaltimer.com/ along with 2 flash triggers, a laser sensor, & microphone sensor
    It works really well, it can trigger the shutter or flash or both depending on what you want to do
    Looks like just the thing - I could spend a lot of time playing with that. Looks like it would cost over $300 though with both the main unit and the light switch

if using for high speed photography the camera must be used in bulb mode in complete darkness (popping balloons etc)
    the laser sensor detects an interruption in the beam from any cheap laser pointer
    other accessories are also available including light sensors & extension cables
    So does that mean it has a laser sensor built in already? I thought I'd have to buy the light sensor separately? If the unit already contains a sensor why do they sell a separate one?
    It'd be good if the basic unit already has one - that would bring the cost right down.
    What accessories did you find you needed?